What is the biggest shock in Oscar history?

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
What have been the biggest Oscar shocks? Any actors that have won when they had an outside chance, for example?

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Can't think of any specific names off hand but one of those old guard who'd been looked over for years then get an OSCAR for probably one of thier worst films just because they 'deserved it'.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Can't think of any specific names off hand but one of those old guard who'd been looked over for years then get an OSCAR for probably one of thier worst films just because they 'deserved it'.

Yes, there have been quite a few of those. Al Pacino is one that springs to mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the biggest ever, but Kate Winslet winning for the Reader was a bit of a 'crap, she's been nominated 6 times for better films we better hurry and give it to her'. Her performance in Revolutionary Road in the same year was far superior. BUT she should have won for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. She was amazing in that.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Blah123 wrote: »
    Not the biggest ever, but Kate Winslet winning for the Reader was a bit of a 'crap, she's been nominated 6 times for better films we better hurry and give it to her'. Her performance in Revolutionary Road in the same year was far superior. BUT she should have won for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. She was amazing in that.
    As she said in Extras, you have to player either a Nazi or a nun to get an oscar :p
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sean Penn winning best actor in 2009(?) over Mickey Rourke was surprising. Not shocking, but surprising.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In recent years, I think the biggest shock was Crash beating Brokeback Mountain in 2005, as the latter had won just about every other Best Picture award all award season till that point.
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    At the time and probably by some even today, Marisa Tomei winning for My Cousin Vinny was a shock, as was Brokeback Mountain losing out for best film. Tilda Swintons win was also unexpected, but deserved .
    Forum Member
    Marcia Gay Garden and Juliette Binoche winning. Neither were regarded as front runners at all, esp Binoche beating Lauren Bacall.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    In recent years, I think the biggest shock was Crash beating Brokeback Mountain in 2005, as the latter had won just about every other Best Picture award all award season till that point.

First one I thought of.

A lot of people seem to think Ellen Burstyn should have won over Julia Roberts in 2001. Maggie Smith's win for California Suite seemed to surprise people back in the day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been used to the Academy's "worth over quality" decisions (only in IMHO of course) over the years.
    The only real time I've been genuinely shocked was when "The Silence of the Lambs" cleaned up! :eek:

A genre film, that was popular with the audience, and didn't have any social statements to make!

Doesn't happen very often ...
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PANNAL1 wrote: »
    Marcia Gay Garden and Juliette Binoche winning. Neither were regarded as front runners at all, esp Binoche beating Lauren Bacall.

I'm still gutted that Marcia Gay Harden won over Kate Hudson. Kate may not have built on the early promise of Almost Famous but she deserved the Oscar for her role as Penny Lane.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The greatest shock in oscars history would be anything half decent ever getting nominated ,Every year its the same old same old artsy fartsy rubbish that makes bugger all at the box office getting all nominations

The Blockbuster awards or the MTV movie awards are more realistic than the farce that is the oscars ffs even the Razzies are :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The greatest shock in oscars history would be anything half decent ever getting nominated ,Every year its the same old same old artsy fartsy rubbish that makes bugger all at the box office getting all nominations

The Blockbuster awards or the MTV movie awards are more realistic than the farce that is the oscars ffs even the Razzies are :D

So, in your opinion Transformers films and Danny Dyer should be getting nominated for Oscars then?
  • Donald DallasDonald Dallas Posts: 3,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »
    I've been used to the Academy's "worth over quality" decisions (only in IMHO of course) over the years.
    The only real time I've been genuinely shocked was when "The Silence of the Lambs" cleaned up! :eek:

A genre film, that was popular with the audience, and didn't have any social statements to make!

Doesn't happen very often ...

Titanic and Gladiator could perhaps be added to that list.

Apart from the fact that both have lavish historical settings, they're both big dumb blockbusters.
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    Not a shocker as such, but it's amazing to think Psycho did not win anything. Deserved best art direction that year.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was stunned they gave Roman Polanski best director for The Pianist, you'd think the whole he raped a 13 year old thing may have been an issue.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blah123 wrote: »

Agree with all of this, except that it wasn't a shock in any sense. It was a pretty much cert.

Yep, biggest shock for a while.

Absolute rubbish.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this was a shock as such, as I wasn't old enough to appreciate the reaction at the time, but seeing that Midnight Cowboy won the Oscar for best film in the late sixties, being the first X-rated film to win, then maybe that has some claim to being the biggest shock in Oscar history. Maybe as the "times were a changing", something like this would have come about, but I can imagine some of the people at the time would have been a bit "shocked" and thinking that the world was going to implode.
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was more disappointing than surprising, and it certainly was not shocking. For Hollywood to even recognise a film of such content was a step forward, but for it to win was just too much as far as they were concerned.

Crash was one of those awful films that likes to think it's dealing with political and social problems without actually scratching the surface or really offending anyone. Hollywood loves that shit. It was an acceptable substitute in an otherwise weak year in their eyes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizzle wrote: »
    It was more disappointing than surprising, and it certainly was not shocking..

With all due respect, it most certainly was shocking, every one but every one expected it to win, it was a red hot favourite. In my life time no films failure to win Best Picture has caused more of a stir than this one. There was even the notorious full page ad taken out in Variety magazine in relation to this issue, which is certianly the only time anything like that ever happened.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grace Kelly beating Judy Garland for Best actress. Was a huge huge shock in the day and something still discussed about to this day. If you have seen Judy in A Star Is Born, you will see why she deserved it.

I agree about Kate Winslet. Her performance in The Reader was crap and perhaps the only performance of her career I have never liked. She should of won for Titanic, but was beaten by the forgettable performance of Helen Hunt.
    Forum Member
    I thought Winslets best nominated performance was Sense And Sensibility. Shocks abound for the many great performances that weren't even nominated, notably IMO Anthony Perkins great performance in Psycho.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    The streaker.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Sean Connery's one of the most famous recipients on that basis. I don't necessarily think his performance in The Untouchables was any worse than his fellow nominees, but the general feeling is that he got it precisely because of the 'Old Guard' need to recognise him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Sean Connery's one of the most famous recipients on that basis. I don't necessarily think his performance in The Untouchables was any worse than his fellow nominees, but the general feeling is that he got it precisely because of the 'Old Guard' need to recognise him.

Don't agree with that, he received critical acclaim for his role in the Untouchables and was a throughly deserving winner, imho.