24: Live Another Day [US Pace]

DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
Forum Member
✭✭✭
FOX has ordered 24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY, a thrilling new tent-pole event series set to restart the clock on the groundbreaking and Emmy Award-winning drama franchise starring Kiefer Sutherland. Produced by 20th Century Fox Television, Imagine Television and Howard Gordon’s Teakwood Lane Productions, 24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY will make its historic debut in the summer of 2014 on FOX.

The announcement was made this morning by Kevin Reilly, Chairman, Fox Broadcasting Company; Dana Walden and Gary Newman, Chairmen, Twentieth Century Fox Television; and Brian Grazer, Chairman, Imagine Entertainment.

The high-octane saga will reunite showrunner Howard Gordon with Sutherland and retain the real-time, pulse-pounding, fast-paced format with split screens and complex interweaving storylines, with 12 episodes representing 24 hours. The suspenseful event series once again follows the exploits of heroic agent JACK BAUER (Sutherland), who will resume his story several years following the events of the final season.

“It’s great to have Jack back. ‘24’ redefined the drama genre, and as we reimagine the television miniseries, this iconic show will again break new ground for the network,” said Reilly. “The series remains a global sensation, and everyone at FOX is thrilled to be back at work with Kiefer, Howard and the incredibly creative ‘24’ team.”

“When Howard came to us saying he had an idea for a new chapter of ‘24,’ he quite simply had us at ‘hello,’” remarked 20th Century Fox Television Chairmen Gary Newman and Dana Walden. “’24’ is a signature series for this studio, beloved by critics and audiences worldwide. Howard’s idea to revive the franchise as an event series couldn’t be timelier, and with the brilliant Kiefer Sutherland on board to reprise his iconic role, we can’t wait to get started.”

Added Imagine Television Chairman Brian Grazer, “I'm both excited and proud that Howard, Kiefer, and I, along with ours partners at 20th and Fox, have this new opportunity to give ‘24’ fans what they've been asking for – more Jack Bauer. It's been my experience that people love Jack Bauer because he's a guy who cuts through the red tape and gets the hardest things done. I am certain 24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY will again have a huge impact on our culture.”

“The response to ‘24’ is unlike anything I have ever experienced as an actor before,” noted Sutherland. “To have the chance to reunite with the character, Jack Bauer, is like finding a lost friend. The story ideas from Howard Gordon are exciting and fresh, and will not disappoint. Great thanks to 20th Century Fox Television, Imagine Television and the FOX network for this opportunity. Make no mistake, my goal is to knock your socks off. See you soon.”

“Jack Bauer has always been an exciting, thrilling character, and I confess that I’ve missed him. I think the audience has too,” said executive producer Howard Gordon who served as showrunner for most of the series’ run and won multiple Emmy Awards for his work. “The character has evolved through the years, and this new and exciting event series format is perfect to tell the next chapter of his story and continue to reflect how the world is changing. Fans can rest assured that the Jack they know and love will be back.”

Originally premiering November 6, 2001, ‘24’ was nominated for a total of 73 Emmy Awards, winning for Outstanding Drama Series in 2006. Over eight seasons, Kiefer Sutherland garnered seven Emmy Award nominations and one win for Outstanding Lead Actor – Drama Series. While the series gained global recognition, Sutherland’s portrayal of the legendary character penetrated the American psyche like no other dramatic television character to become part of the cultural lexicon.

24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY is a production of 20th Century Fox Television and Imagine Television in association with Teakwood Lane Productions. Howard Gordon, Brian Grazer and Kiefer Sutherland will executive produce, along with an additional team to be announced. The original series, which had its last American broadcast on May 24, 2010, was created by Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/24/new-event-series-24-live-another-day-to-restart-iconic-clock-in-summer-2014-on-f/10151589946824522

Amazing.

Comments

• DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding UK broadcast, because it's not formally a new season, Twentieth Century Fox are trying to reset all previous exclusivity deals, and it looks like Sky1 aren't having it.
    “24 is a signature Sky series, it’s not going anywhere.”
    http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/05/la-screenings-bskyb-faces-legal-question-over-24-live-another-day/

Personally, the idea of 12 episodes is exciting because they appear to want to trim the fat, and have 12 completely focused and action packed episodes.

Though I'm still not sure why they don't just make a full season. They have an entire year before the first episode needs to air. They could easily produce a high quality 24-part season, avoiding filler (which most the time was for 2nd unit/action production to catch-up).

Plus airing during the summer is interesting, because this show will easily carry a $5M budget per episode, and summer is traditionally quite poorly rated. It's a gamble, but if it pays off, I imagine they'll continue with more 24. Still, a whole year away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    Regarding UK broadcast, because it's not formally a new season, Twentieth Century Fox are trying to reset all previous exclusivity deals, and it looks like Sky1 aren't having it.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/05/la-screenings-bskyb-faces-legal-question-over-24-live-another-day/

Personally, the idea of 12 episodes is exciting because they appear to want to trim the fat, and have 12 completely focused and action packed episodes.

Though I'm still not sure why they don't just make a full season. They have an entire year before the first episode needs to air. They could easily produce a high quality 24-part season, avoiding filler (which most the time was for 2nd unit/action production to catch-up).

Plus airing during the summer is interesting, because this show will easily carry a $5M budget per episode, and summer is traditionally quite poorly rated. It's a gamble, but if it pays off, I imagine they'll continue with more 24. Still, a whole year away.
    You misread that. 20th Century Fox have said it isn't covered by previous deals, Sky have said they'll bid competitively anyway...
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is a "tent-pole event", please?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »

I'll second that question :D
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great news

although i agree they could have just done 24 episode seasons every 2-3 years instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »

In the film industry a tent pole is a film the studio is aiming to be so successful that it supports the studio for the year. (Notable examples from last year include Avengers Assemble and The Dark Knight Rises).

Presumably it means a similar thing in TV...
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »

Unlikely to be anywhere near $5mill for Fox the Network. The licence fee for an hour long drama on network TV is usually around the $2mill mark. Ofc the cost is higher than that as the Production company shoulders some of the cost as they are the ones who benefit from International and home media sales but the network only needs to make enough to cover the licence fee not the whole production costs.

It should also be noted that part of the reason summer shows are poorly rated is that network TV doesn't try in the summer. They burn off cancelled shows or shows they decided not to air after commissioning and shows repeats and cheap reality. Cable shows however do decent numbers in the summer and with Fox stating they are looking to move to a 52week schedule which will also see shows like Glee airing partly in the summer then that might change
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    wakey wrote: »
    Unlikely to be anywhere near $5mill for Fox the Network. The licence fee for an hour long drama on network TV is usually around the $2mill mark. Ofc the cost is higher than that as the Production company shoulders some of the cost as they are the ones who benefit from International and home media sales but the network only needs to make enough to cover the licence fee not the whole production costs.

It should also be noted that part of the reason summer shows are poorly rated is that network TV doesn't try in the summer. They burn off cancelled shows or shows they decided not to air after commissioning and shows repeats and cheap reality. Cable shows however do decent numbers in the summer and with Fox stating they are looking to move to a 52week schedule which will also see shows like Glee airing partly in the summer then that might change

the reason event series are "limited" is that they are more expensive than your traditional show (as cost can't be amortised as it can with returners). Now what you say about the license fee is true, FBC likely wont shoulder most of the burden but Fox (the studio) will.

Take HBO's Band of Brother for example, that was budgeted at $125 million for 10 eps. But that's premium cable. This is fox's first limited event series so who knows what the cost will be. But 5 mill an ep isn't exactly off the mark.
  • HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You misread that. 20th Century Fox have said it isn't covered by previous deals, Sky have said they'll bid competitively anyway...

I just hope $ky aren't mercenary enough to put it on bloody Atlantic though :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rickywal wrote: »
    the reason event series are "limited" is that they are more expensive than your traditional show (as cost can't be amortised as it can with returners). Now what you say about the license fee is true, FBC likely wont shoulder most of the burden but Fox (the studio) will.

Take HBO's Band of Brother for example, that was budgeted at $125 million for 10 eps. But that's premium cable. This is fox's first limited event series so who knows what the cost will be. But 5 mill an ep isn't exactly off the mark.

Except 'event series' is just a meaningless buzz word dreamed up by marketing departments. Infact what does it even mean as well as it seems to get used to mean a one off and also another way of saying Limited order

In reality it has very little meaning. If we are to take it as Event Series means a one off then all the new shows start like that. They have a one year contract for no more than 13 episodes with an option on a further 9. The chances of reaching 13 is small enough let alone getting a second season.

And most of the costs including the big 2 of Cast/Crew pay and the licence fee are paid yearly anyway and it doesn't matter if its a one off or intended to be on for multiple seasons as the yearly cost is going to be the same.

Infact a one off may very well be cheaper per episode in terms of pay because its a lesser commitment, especially if its 13 episodes. Committing to 5 or 7 years as is the cast in most actors contracts is a lot especially if its 22 episodes and requires greater upheaval so are likely to want to be compensated as such. A one off required a lot less commitment and doesn't restrict perusing other roles in the same way so they may lower their demands.

The only reason that their is a myth that event series cost more is the only us networks that actually do them are the cable networks where their setup automatically means things cost more and who are less concerned about the shows directly making a profit. When network TV has done what are event series (24 itself was really an event series, as was Prison Break and even the following) they have found ways to expand what seems like a one shot show into a multi season one rather than leaving it at the natural conclusion (24 ultimately worked out, Prison Break while always watchable probably didn't really work and who knows with The Following)
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,366
    Forum Member
    I just hope $ky aren't mercenary enough to put it on bloody Atlantic though :eek:
    Oh Jesus Christ, Sky with a dollar sign. How 2007 of you! :yawn:
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,548
    Forum Member
    Of course they will :mad:

(I never even thought of that before now; so thanks! :()
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was a sky1 staple so who knows where it will end up...makes sense for atlantic though...no?
  • kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news. I'd much rather 12 episodes of new series than 2 hours of movie.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »
    Great news. I'd much rather 12 episodes of new series than 2 hours of movie.

This. Very much this!! Something I would like to see is a season where Jack is in the UK, though we also get the President's side of things from Washington.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    it was a sky1 staple so who knows where it will end up...makes sense for atlantic though...no?

Considering that the Season 3-8 re-runs moved to Sky Atlantic when the channel first started i wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a Sky Atlantic exclusive, especially since it's being marketed as an "event series".

That said, i would have put Hannibal down as a dead cert for Atlantic and that's on Living, so who knows :confused:
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may regret this, but the Happy Endings axe opens the door for Elisha Cuthbert to appear. Preferably not being stalked by anyone or anything.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Considering that the Season 3-8 re-runs moved to Sky Atlantic when the channel first started i wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a Sky Atlantic exclusive, especially since it's being marketed as an "event series".

That said, i would have put Hannibal down as a dead cert for Atlantic and that's on Living, so who knows :confused:

They put 24 on Sky Atlantic at the start of the channel to actually give it some content, along with X-Files, ER, Star Trek etc

I would love a new series of 24, but it definitely needs to be 24 episodes, which allow for the story to unfold, twist etc

if they need time, then take 2 years to make it........ but make it 24 episodes

Oh and no more nuclear bombs.....

Series 1 and 5 were the best....... but I would have loved a storyline before series 1, when he was in the Balkans, or after 6 when he was captured by the Chinese

Not the dire 2 hour special that was Redemption
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can the show be both in real time and portray 24 hours in 12 episodes? The episodes can't be 2 hours long surely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    How can the show be both in real time and portray 24 hours in 12 episodes? The episodes can't be 2 hours long surely.

They've said that the show will skip hours when it benefits the story (e.g. if someone is driving/flying/on a boat for 2 hours then the show will skip those hours and pick up 2 hours later in the following episode). I'm betting that Jack will start the season in one country and then fly back to the US half way through the season or something, that'd be 8-12 hours taken care of right there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I may regret this, but the Happy Endings axe opens the door for Elisha Cuthbert to appear. Preferably not being stalked by anyone or anything.

It would be nice to have Kim back in it and in a way that would redeem the character rather because pretty much any time they tried to redeem her it seemed to end up with 'Aaaaaahhhh We have run out of B plot but we need 20mins of B plot for this episode what are we going to do? I know lets write a story for Kim in 5 minutes which is either ridiculous or just just makes her dumber than Homer Simpson"
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love a new series of 24, but it definitely needs to be 24 episodes, which allow for the story to unfold, twist etc
    I disagree. I felt that in most seasons, 24 episodes was too many. The story dragged on, and twists piled up until they became ludicrous. All the more so because they didn't plan it in advance.

I think they can manage 12 episodes. Probably my favourite segment of 24 was the first 13 hours of the first seasons. It had plenty going on, including Jack being operated by remote control and Teri's first kill, and a coherent plot with a bad guy that made some sense. The second half went off the rails (amnesia, anyone?). The next season had the interminable wedding plot, and every season there-after seemed stretched to breaking point.

I'm glad they are keeping real-time, too. I'm pretty optimistic about this. I hope it doesn't go to Sky Atlantic.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    the 12 hour thing probably wont even be that noticeable when viewing , jack will say "The following takes place between 12pm and 2pm" an the episode will be an hour long.
    in saying that i have just started watching Homeland after a marathon 24 session, and it easy to forget you aint watching in real time, i forgot i wasnt watching 24 and thought WTF, its been weeks since THAT happened???.:D

as for sky, it wouldnt surprise me if they put 1 episode on a different movie channel every week, maybe even lob it into sports for the finale, to squeeze every penny out of their customers.

Wont affect me, i shall download it while i await the Blu-ray:D
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised to see it on Sky1.