Les Miserables

Comments

• sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Bluray wrote: »
    I genuinely didn't realise the film version has ONLY been made for people who know every detail about the story and stage play. If I'd known it wasn't for the more casual movie or musical lover I wouldn't have bothered.

How silly of me not to know there were rules applicable to the viewing of this film.

Note to self: must study, learn and remember EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF LIFE FROM THE LAST 20 YEARS :rolleyes:

I'm with you on the snobbery of those that have seen the theatrical musical production. My first recollection of it was the 1978 (Excellent) TV production with Anthony Perkins and Richard Jordan - and I'm quite certain not a single note was sung! I'm pretty sure there were several earlier non-sung productions.

Having said all of that - you could have knocked me down with a feather when I realised the story is actually based on a BOOK!:D
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right no " little fall of rain", I'm not going to see it.

No it is in there, just about 3 minutes of it that's all.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Right no " little fall of rain", I'm not going to see it.

A Little Fall of Rain is in it, and it's excellent btw one of my favourite scenes, it's just cut down. You can just about tell where it's cut as well so I think the full song was definitely filmed as well, so hopefully we will get to see it at one point. I imagine the full versions of most if not all the songs were filmed, if we're to believe that the first cut was 4 hours.

As for it being sung-through, you don't need to know much about the musical, or even research it, to know that. How is calling it a musical misselling it? A musical implies that the cast/characters sing, it can be anything from a few songs to singing every line.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with you on the snobbery of those that have seen the theatrical musical production. My first recollection of it was the 1978 (Excellent) TV production with Anthony Perkins and Richard Jordan - and I'm quite certain not a single note was sung! I'm pretty sure there were several earlier non-sung productions.

Having said all of that - you could have knocked me down with a feather when I realised the story is actually based on a BOOK!:D

It is impossible for everyone to know everything about every subject, but because these people know Les Mis inside out there is the presumption that everyone else should do also.

I'm sure there are books, films, tv shows, plays that they haven't seen or don't know too much about.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Little Fall of Rain is in it, and it's excellent btw one of my favourite scenes, it's just cut down. You can just about tell where it's cut as well so I think the full song was definitely filmed as well, so hopefully we will get to see it at one point. I imagine the full versions of most if not all the songs were filmed, if we're to believe that the first cut was 4 hours.

The whole thing was filmed, so hopefully it's on the DVD extras even if there's not a director's cut. I actually didn't notice where it was cut, it just seemed a bit shorter than the stage version. It wasn't as badly cut as On My Own!

As for it being sung-through, you don't need to know much about the musical, or even research it, to know that. How is calling it a musical misselling it? A musical implies that the cast/characters sing, it can be anything from a few songs to singing every line.

Exactly! I'm really confused as to how that is difficult to understand! :confused:
    No one but themselves to blame?????

Why would anyone attempt to find out.

This film adaptation is sold to the masses as a musical, nothing more - nothing less.

If you classy people know its all sung then that's bully for you. There's no law saying you should do research before seeing a film, if someone hears an interview with Hugh Jackman on the radio discussing the new musical he's in then who is to blame if that person takes him at his word and goes to the cinema to see it.

Bit in bold: yes, and that's exactly what it is - no-one can complain about the constant singing as they know they're seeing a musical, and there isn't one definition of a musical. You don't need to know much about musicals to know that.

Maybe I take too logical an approach, but I'm not going to waste my money on something I know I won't like (e.g. I hate horror movies, would never pay to see one), so I don't mind taking 2 minutes to google a film I'm going to see to have a rough idea of what it's about rather than going in completely blind. In fact, I don't really understand why someone wouldn't find out a bit about what they're paying good money to see, I'm sure most people would prefer not to waste money :confused:

Therefore I really don't have any time for people who've been surprised by the constant singing (disliking it is a different thing entirely, I didn't like all of it!). It's a musical, constant singing was always going to be a possibility, and in the case of Les Mis, a certainty.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is impossible for everyone to know everything about every subject, but because these people know Les Mis inside out there is the presumption that everyone else should do also.

Don't put words into our mouths please, no-one on here has said any such thing.

The issue is people complaining about all the singing when it has been advertised as a musical and musicals can contain any amount of singing. Knowing that basic fact about musicals actually has nothing to do with Les Mis specifically.
  • GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things I like in the film version:

* Marius has a grand-dad! He even had a singing part towards the end. Thank God, thank God, he's home." Or something like that. Nice touch. Otherwise for people like me who don't read the original Victor Hugo's tome I would have thought that Marius is an orphan made good (becoming a student).

I had no idea either. Bits like that that they have added from the book has made me want to read the book even more now.

* Gavroche's tearing up when Eponine died. Got to know now that they are siblings.

I've always known they are siblings from the musical but can't recall if it's mentioned or I just worked it out from knowing they both have the same surname/parents?!

* Mentioned before, the pair of candle stands that Valjean kept up till his death. Symbolising that he's committed to remain a changed (for the better) man.

The candle sticks have always been a big part of the show too. You see Valjean pack them away during one day more and then of course they are there in the epilogue.

* Ian Hislop lookalike in the carriage as a 'posh man' when Gavorche sang his first note. ;)

Hahaha! My dad spotted him and was convinced it was Ian hislop! :D

* Towards the end, the bishop welcomed Valjean to the other world, the stage version I recalled seeing Fantine and Eponine as ghosts, but that doesn't make sense because Valjean in the musical never intearacted with Epoinine, so seeing the ghosts of Fantine and the bishop make perfect sense.

I always thought it was a bit random with Eponine being there although they do interact when she passes on Marius' letter to cosette. I think the bishop being there works much better and makes more sense though.

However, I don't understand why the director used the take when Hugh's Valjean seemed to have made an obvious grammatical mistake: On his death, he sang, "On this page, I write my last confession" to Cosette while handing her the letter. I thought it should be "I wrote my last confession"? Why did they change it? Or was it just a slip from Hugh. If so, why did Hooper use that version?

I think it is "write" in the stage version too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't put words into our mouths please, no-one on here has said any such thing.

The issue is people complaining about all the singing when it has been advertised as a musical and musicals can contain any amount of singing. Knowing that basic fact about musicals actually has nothing to do with Les Mis specifically.

Not trying to put words in your mouth.

It's very clear from a number of posts that the snotty Les Mis fans think everyone SHOULD know its all sung not just "it's a musical". It's blatantly obvious it's a musical.

The fact is that no matter how long its been around or how famous Les Mis is there will be people who will not know its all sung. FACT!
    This film is being sold on a worldwide scale as a "Movie Musical" - the majority of movie musicals are NOT all sung. The majority are balanced with spoken word eg Sound of Music, West Side Story. In "recent" years the only other fully sung movie musical is Evita back in 1996.
    So it's a fair assumption that a percentage of the audience will expect the more standard movie musical.

It's very arrogant of the likes of you to belittle people and "expect" them to know everything about Les Mis just because you do.

A few weeks ago on a TV quiz programme I sneered when a contestant had no idea who played Luke Skywalker. But the contestant himself said "I'm too young, it's before my time".
    I thought to myself "absolutely, if its not something he's into then why would he know".
    It's the same with not knowing Les Mis is fully sung. I only went to see it because my other half wanted to see it - should I have known it was fully sung? - No, because its not something I've been interested in.

If being a fan of Les Mis involves stepping up onto a very high horse then I'm happy to have not particularly enjoyed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I don't presume that all people realise that Les Mis is entirely sung through. In fact, the first time I ever saw it at the theatre, (a very long time ago, before google, and at a time when I wasn't confident enough to ask the ticket agent what it was about,) I knew nothing at all about it, and even thought that it might have been in French! I went anyway. It was the first West End show I ever chose to see, and I chose it on the basis that it had been a permanent fixture at the Palace theatre for forever, it seemed, so I figured it had to be good. I can't tell you how relieved I was when the opening bars revealed that the language was English.

That it was entirely sung through wasn't an issue at all after that, and the fact is, that if you love the music that they are actually singing to, the constant singing isn't going to bother you at all. This is the only completely sung through musical that I actually like, to be fair. With the exception of one song, I hated Jesus Christ, Superstar and I didn't enjoy Evita much either. It's not because they were sung through. It's simply down to the fact that the music doesn't captivate me the way Les Mis does.

But because I know that the constant singing is not for everyone, I make it very clear to anyone that I recommend it to that it is completely sung through, so that they know what they're getting. I loved it from the very first time I saw it, but I know that for others, they would probably prefer to take a bath in cold sick than to watch something like this.
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is were I think it worked in the film as opposed to the Michael Ball clips I have seen. I might be wrong but it looks like Michael Ball just played it as a wet drip (Which may have been how he was directed to play it) but for me, Eddie nailed it in the 'love at first sight' role.

In the original book by Victor Hugo, the character of Marius is very much a wet drip, so I imagine that back in 1985 that's how Michael Ball was directed to play the role. :)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annoying... I'm housebound and itching to see the film...

Why Universal couldn't experiment a little with streaming releases and let Tesco roll it onto Blinkbox after, say, 2 weeks for rental, so those of us who are housebound or don't have a cinema to hand COULD see the damn thing instead of having to wait up to 6 months for the DVD/Bluray...

Cos the thing is ALREADY on the torrent sites... - http://isohunt.com/torrents/Les+Miserables+2012+DVDRip - see what I mean?

Big Media - THERE ARE LOADS OF US WHO WOULD GLADLY PAY AND ARE ON THE PRE-PREORDER LISTS ALREADY! STREAM IT AND TAKE MY MONEY!
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure there are books, films, tv shows, plays that they haven't seen or don't know too much about.

I dont' get this. I really don't. The poster of the film of Les Miserables clearly says a musical phenomenon. What you do you think that means?

edit to add: having read your reply. I can see what you are 'complaining' specifically, as a almost completely sung through musical versus a sung and spoken-dialogue musicals which you called the 'standard' musical.

Actually there isn't a proper definition of what musical entails. If you don't like it, it's fine. But did you not like it because it's all completely sung through, or because the musical numbers just did nothing for you? There is a difference here. If it's the former, then the production crew (esp. the director) had failed to convince you suspend disbelief that in this fictional world he's conjuring, people in it communicate through songs. If it's the latter, there's nothing much anyone can do about it, I supposed. I feel sorry that you don't enjoy it, because you wasted money and time on it.

I am biased against many so-called blockbusters like superheros movies, or stories like Harry Potter, Twilight saga, Lord of the Rings, Avatars. By default, I always avoid them, until I read enough of the reviews in Rottentomatoes before I decide if I should invest my time on it.

So far, I have not watched a single film of the Twilight saga (though I love the BBC3 series about vampires and werewovles called Being Human), and I've only watched the first ep. of Harry Potter. I fell asleep through the first part of LOTR. The last two I rented it on DVD, so I spent very little and had a lot of control of what I wanted to see and what I consider as a waste of time and energy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont' get this. I really don't. The poster of the film of Les Miserables clearly says a musical phenomenon. What you do you think that means?

edit to add: having read your reply. I can see what you are 'complaining' specifically, as a almost completely sung through musical versus a sung and spoken-dialogue musicals which you called the 'standard' musical.

Actually there isn't a proper definition of what musical entails. If you don't like it, it's fine. But did you not like it because it's all completely sung through, or because the musical numbers just did nothing for you? There is a difference here. If it's the former, then the production crew (esp. the director) had failed to convince you suspend disbelief that in this fictional world he's conjuring, people in it communicate through songs. If it's the latter, there's nothing much anyone can do about it, I supposed. I feel sorry that you don't enjoy it, because you wasted money and time on it.

I am biased against many so-called blockbusters like superheros movies, or stories like Harry Potter, Twilight saga, Lord of the Rings, Avatars. By default, I always avoid them, until I read enough of the reviews in Rottentomatoes before I decide if I should invest my time on it.

So far, I have not watched a single film of the Twilight saga (though I love the BBC3 series about vampires and werewovles called Being Human), and I've only watched the first ep. of Harry Potter. I fell asleep through the first part of LOTR. The last two I rented it on DVD, so I spent very little and had a lot of control of what I wanted to see and what I consider as a waste of time and energy.

I knew it was all-sung and that didn't put me off as i quite enjoyed Evita and Sweeney Todd. But i find it hard to suddenly get thrown into another song the very second one has finished as there's no time to catch your breath.

My main complaint here is the presumption that "people only have themselves to blame" for not knowing that it's all-sung.
    Why should they?

I totally understand that Les Mis has a massive and has a very very loyal following but i think some have lost sight that there are bound to be many people who are "new" to Les Mis and would genuinely not know it's all-sung.

To belittle people and call them uneducated and having brains full of "knicker elastic" for not knowing is very unfair.
    How is musical theatre to attract new fans if they are met with this superior attitude if they do not "get it" first time?
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely didn't realise the film version has ONLY been made for people who know every detail about the story and stage play. If I'd known it wasn't for the more casual movie or musical lover I wouldn't have bothered.

How silly of me not to know there were rules applicable to the viewing of this film.

Note to self: must study, learn and remember EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF LIFE FROM THE LAST 20 YEARS :rolleyes:

There YOU go bringing in the snobbery. The film is open to all who can cope with something being sung-through.

Just why anyone can't cope with it or post it as a negative point like they are children brought up on Mary Poppins where it's; some plot spoken: Pretty song: some more plot spoken: some fake impending danger that works out just fine: final group song with everyone marching off over the rainbow, and so totally unable to see anything that isn't that as a correct and proper musical.

So Les Mis is open to all. The exceptions are the inverse-snobs looking down on Les Mis because it ain't how their local panto goes.

Education in Musical Theatre is the only cure for that. I mean Jesus Christ Superstar the film came out in 1973 and that was sung through so how many decades will it take? And Tommy and so many many more!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem: 'I don't like sung-through musicals and fully knew that Les Mis was one' - Solution: Don't go and see it! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    People are surprised there's no spoken dialogue in Les Mis - where have they been for the last 20+ years

Attending school?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There YOU go bringing in the snobbery. The film is open to all who can cope with something being sung-through.

Just why anyone can't cope with it or post it as a negative point like they are children brought up on Mary Poppins where it's; some plot spoken: Pretty song: some more plot spoken: some fake impending danger that works out just fine: final group song with everyone marching off over the rainbow, and so totally unable to see anything that isn't that as a correct and proper musical.

So Les Mis is open to all. The exceptions are the inverse-snobs looking down on Les Mis because it ain't how their local panto goes.

Education in Musical Theatre is the only cure for that. I mean Jesus Christ Superstar the film came out in 1973 and that was sung through so how many decades will it take? And Tommy and so many many more!

You're proving my point about snobbery and belittling people.

Trying to be clever and ironic about Mary Poppins style musicals.
    So in your world it seems they're the lower-class musical? That's how it's sounding to me.
    So are Mary Poppins fans not allowed to be daring and try something new like Les Mis? Should they just stick to "panto" musical?

Have you any idea how superior you're sounding?
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (I didn't know Les Mis was sung all the way through..... shoot me now!!)
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    People are surprised there's no spoken dialogue in Les Mis - where have they been for the last 20+ years

I have been right here , working , raising kids , keeping a home running , voluntary work , looking after a sick parent etc etcetc
    And No I ddnt know Les Mis was a no dialogue film . I presumed it was a musical with some dialogue .So shoot me then for being so slow and ignorant .Not everyone knows everything about everything .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    To be fair, I didn't know if the movie was going to be completely sung through. The trailers definitely gave the impression that there was more dialogue than there actually was. I can think of at least 2 bits from trailers (Marius asking Eponine "who's that girl?" and her not singing the response, and the bishop saying "I know who you are. You're Jean Val Jean,") and neither of these were in the actual film, so if you've never seen the stage show, I can see why some people wouldn't realise. Like I said, based on the trailers, I expected a lot more dialogue than we actually got.

Not a complaint, btw. Just an observation.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been right here , working , raising kids , keeping a home running , voluntary work , looking after a sick parent etc etcetc
    And No I ddnt know Les Mis was a no dialogue film . I presumed it was a musical with some dialogue .So shoot me then for being so slow and ignorant .Not everyone knows everything about everything .

I didn't know either, so for this style of musical could someone explain the difference between it and an Opera.:)
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most depressing thing I've seen for years.

Still, I was kept entertained while everyone was sniffing around me to wonder why it constantly rained in Paris from 1815 to 1832. Why when everyone opened their mouths to sing, it rained.

Oh the singing. There was a lot of that. I'm no philistine, I go a lot to the opera as well as musicals. But this really didn't do anything for me. I think I was laughing more at the relentless misery of it all, and the ultimo was the sewer scene with that drippy student and all you saw in this mass of brown was two little eyes peeking out.

Like the death of Little Nell, you needed a heart of stone not to laugh.

It was good as a film (cinematic unlike so many musical translations) well done, and some songs are good. But it's just not a show I'd go mad over or want to see on stage I'm afraid. Not my cup of tea. A bit too overwrought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    nancy1975 wrote: »
    The most depressing thing I've seen for years.
    QUOTE]

It was quite a depressing time.
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QUOTE]It was quite a depressing time.[/QUOTE]

Yes. And? I just went with laughing at it anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By strange coincidence my manager has just spoken to me about Les Mis - i had no idea that she is one of the very passionate fans who has seen it live three times.

On the whole she loved it but said even though she likes Eddie Redmayne she thought he was wrong for the part and there was no chemistry whatsoever between him and Amanda Seyfried.

I relayed to her to recent conversations had on this thread and she laughed and said "if people don't try something for the first time how does anyone find out if they like it or not - doesn't mean there's something wrong with them"

Exactly!