Can I take soap on a plane?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
Forum Member
Do any of you guys know if I can take a solid bar of soap onto a flight in my hand luggage? All the info seems to say liquids, gels and pastes need to be no more than 100ml/grams, but I don't think soap would counts as any of those..? I've tried to find an answer on the Ryanair website and various others but they're really vague.

Just want to make sure as I bought some expensive shaving soap as a gift to take to a family member and didn't think of it until now - wouldn't want to have to throw it away at the airport (don't think it'll fit in my plastic resealable bag with all my other toiletries)!

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    If it's a gift for someone, could you put it in your main luggage that goes in the hold?
    The restrictions on liquids apply to hand luggage only.
    I don't think it would count as a liquid anyway :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    summerain wrote: »
    If it's a gift for someone, could you put it in your main luggage that goes in the hold?
    The restrictions on liquids apply to hand luggage only.
    I don't think it would count as a liquid anyway :)

I would, but I'm only taking hand luggage and not checking a bag into the hold (didn't fancy paying £10 for the privilege).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I would, but I'm only taking hand luggage and not checking a bag into the hold (didn't fancy paying £10 for the privilege).

Ah I see, you did say Ryanair, I should've known!

As long as it's a solid bar it should be fine, I'm sure 'liquids' mean bottled ones.
    I wasn't sure if I could take wet wipes last time I flew, but it turned out to be fine.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might be an idea to take a stamped envelope big enough to fit the soap in just in case they don't let you through. At least that way you can post it home and you won't have to throw it away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    gottago wrote: »
    It might be an idea to take a stamped envelope big enough to fit the soap in just in case they don't let you through. At least that way you can post it home and you won't have to throw it away.

That's a good idea, will do that! Hope there's a postbox at Stansted...
  • novicenovice Posts: 3,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind you, this is Ryanair .......:rolleyes: You might get onto the plane with the soap but what's the betting the cabin crew confiscate it for some reason or other and then use it themselves! :D

Do make sure you don't let them charge you for using the soap dispenser in the toilet if you've got your own!!!

Oooops .... edit .... Just noticed it's 'shaving soap'. So watch out for any bearded cabin crew or flight crew
    :D