Heard the most ridiculous thing yesterday.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Loving this thread even if it is a bit eeewwww. :D. Just have to pop off to scrub my carpets, settee, sheets, mattress, this bloody blood gets everywhere. Oh hell sorry puss. :D
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember a teen girls magazine in the 1990s had a petition, which was to go to an MP (Cherie Blair? or someone or another anyway) who agreed to push for sanitary towels to be exempt from VAT. The argument is (or was) that it doesn't count as a luxury item, or a non-essential item (whatever the wording is that applies to items charged with VAT), its a necessity to ensure good hygiene. Nothing seemed to happen though, I presume it didn't happen? I think it was something like Sugar or Big! magazine, something like that.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    in before mooncups.

oh.

gprs: bonus.

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

Loving the rap :D
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    It would also offend many religious individuals

True. Only Jesus is allowed to bleed that much and not die.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »
    surely mooncup is answer to ops dilemma

give every girl a free mooncup periodically (pardon the pun)

they last a long time , wouldn't cost a fraction of what subsidising sanitary products, and would benefit womans health and the environment

imagine having use one as a poo catcher. you get the picture.

edit: apologies for encouraging the shit freaks:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imagine having use one as a poo catcher. you get the picture.

edit: apologies for encouraging the shit freaks:o

pretty sure you remove to and clean now again....you dont wait till its full or till your period is over

your using it wrong :)
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can choose to not wear sanitary products, it may nit be cleanest/safest option but u can still make that choice

Ok. I made a thread a little while back called 'what's the most ridiculous thing you've read on DS forums?' and I would like to nominate the above comment.

Women generally DO want the cleanest/safest option while menstruating, actually - it would be er, pretty UNsafe and er, UNclean not to!!

Sanitary products are called SANITARY for a reason.

Friggin' hell!
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    Usually it feels like each hair is being ripped out of my face. The one I don't use I got free at work but it wasn't a cheap one either. I think it was worth £40+

This is what I think too...tried to use one in my twenties! Believed all the advertised BS on telly and spent a small fortune on something that left my face feeling like an open sore! Never used on again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. I made a thread a little while back called 'what's the most ridiculous thing you've read on DS forums?' and I would like to nominate the above comment.

Women generally DO want the cleanest/safest option while menstruating, actually - it would be er, pretty UNsafe and er, UNclean not to!!

Sanitary products are called SANITARY for a reason.

Friggin' hell!

but using sanitary products is unsafe and unclean, they have chemicals in them which can be deadly/irritant
    tampons absorb natural moisture/towels can be irritant ,
    mooncups are way to go

your destroying the enviroment and your flower using those nasty things
    Forum Member
    pretty sure you remove to and clean now again....you dont wait till its full or till your period is over

your using it wrong :)
    that would be not at all:D.

it`s the removal that`a an issue, i used to have a cap which often ended up flicked across the bathroom, i won`t go on.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really??

sanitary products are hardly the pinnacle of design ..an old tshirt cut and folded?

some cotton wool? i dunno, there are millions of ways you could stem the flow

fragranced cotton wool is basically what you are paying for

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=homemade+sanitary+products+
    This is 2013, this is the West - I'd like to think we've come far enough to avoid makeshift pads and tampons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that would be not at all:D.

it`s the removal that`a an issue, i used to have a cap which often ended up flicked across the bathroom, i won`t go on.:D

ewwww, its like the spud from trainspotting scene only 10 times worse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is 2013, this is the West - I'd like to think we've come far enough to avoid makeshift pads and tampons.

are you gonna quote all my posts?...i suggest using multiquote,afterall it is 2013 :)
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's definitely no reason why there should be VAT on them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

they are meant to have to reduced vat, i mention earlier
    but i doubt any retailer follows that tax guideline
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Well apparently we don't have to use them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    but using sanitary products is unsafe and unclean, they have chemicals in them which can be deadly/irritant
    tampons absorb natural moisture/towels can be irritant ,
    mooncups are way to go

your destroying the enviroment and your flower using those nasty things

are you male or female grps? I'm having a hard time working it out. Mooncups don't suit everyone, apart from stuggling to find the right fit and working out how to get them postitioned right, there is the remove issue as previously mentioned, and they are not hygenic at all. What happens if you fill it up when you are out (which is a distinct possibilty for those of us with heavy days), do you take it out in a public loo, wash it out in the sink :eek: what if you leak through, I'd not trust the things so would use towels as well.

everything can be an irritant, I'm sure that mooncup is not designed for constant wear, I've not looked into the details but I suspect you'd still need to have a 'break' from it at some point during the day.

edit: realised your male. Explains a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are you gonna quote all my posts?...i suggest using multiquote,afterall it is 2013 :)
    I'll quote you as much as I want. It doesn't stop your original comment being ridiculous.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    whilst I don't agree they should be on benefits - do you you have any idea how much these things cost. Yes there are cheaper versions, but you generally end up using twice as many, thus false economy.

sanitary products are not equal to shaving.

£2 a month is a lot? :confused: Women only need to use them for about a week a month.

The only exception to this is women who have very heavy periods and need to change their towels / tampons several times a day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    £2 a month is a lot? :confused: Women only need to use them for about a week a month.

Slap! :mad::mad:
    Forum Member

£2 a month, you`re having a laugh.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    designer84 wrote: »
    It's criminal isn't it?! Over £7 for 3/4 blades now. I tried using cheap ones but you end up sticking tissue all over your face to stop the bleeding! Lol. The ones I but aren't even the dearest but I begrudge paying £7 just to shave... So, really either way if you shave or use pads there is going to be some bleeding involved :D

Haha, I know, they're crazy. I wonder why? They must be expensice to make maybe? Probably because they know men have to buy them, so charge an extortionate amount.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £2 a month, you`re having a laugh.

That's what it costs me every month, half a packet of heavy flow towels and half a packet of light flow towels from Wilkos or Asda every period, unless I'm one of the lucky women who doesn't have a heavy period for more than 3 days.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Boys need more calories at adolesence than girls. Did he factor this in? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member

The only exception to this is women who have very heavy periods and need to change their towels / tampons several times a day.

maybe you should read the rest of the thread, I don't know a single woman that spends just £2 a month on sanitary products. and if there are women that only change pads/tampons once every 24 hours (which is what you'd need to do to make a pack last a week, and even then you'd be pushing it) then they are not only grubby as hell, but also at risk of infection and health issues.

also note my post about the need to vairying pad/tampon sizes depending on the flow and that fact that MOST women do not conform to the light and breezy periods men seem to think we do.

By your reasoning, the 'shaving is an essential' crew should buy the 99p razors and be done with it. Stuff comfort and value for money who cares if they last half the time, they're cheap! :rolleyes:

Oh and btw I use panty liners on non-period days (because of never knowing when aunty flo will arrive), so I use these products every single day of the year.