Do Skype video calls use a lot of your Internet Data Usage?

I went over my 10GB usage allowance last month which was the first time ever.
I haven't really uploaded or downloaded much.
Can only guess it was because I started using Skype and video chatted to a few people.
Could anybody tell me how much data a video call of say 30 minutes typically uses?
Thanks.

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on quality of video but could be up to 1000 kbps. 10 GB equal 80 000 000 kb i.e 80 000 seconds usage. Approx 22 hours

At lower res could be up to 66 hours.

Have you talked this much?

To be honest it is so cheap now to get unlimited broadband why worry. Otherwise just use voice call or lower res video.
  • brymbo76brymbo76 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I haven't talked as much as that but when I've looked at my usage from earlier months, I was getting up to 7 or 8 GB on average by the end of the month as I do use the computer every day so by starting to use Skype it has gone over the 10GB limit so was charged a £5 penalty for going over the limit so if that's likely to happen every month if I am on Skype a good few times each month, it might be worth me upgrading to the Unlimited Broadband (40GB) plan for an extra £3 a month. Not likely to use anywhere near or over that much! :eek:
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brymbo76 wrote: »
    I haven't talked as much as that but when I've looked at my usage from earlier months, I was getting up to 7 or 8 GB on average by the end of the month as I do use the computer every day so by starting to use Skype it has gone over the 10GB limit so was charged a £5 penalty for going over the limit so if that's likely to happen every month if I am on Skype a good few times each month, it might be worth me upgrading to the Unlimited Broadband (40GB) plan for an extra £3 a month. Not likely to use anywhere near or over that much! :eek:
    10gb a month is quite small these days.
    If I were you I'd upgrade to an unlimited package and not have to worry about being stung for usage charges.
    As you say £3 a month extra .. 10p a day for not having to worry about going over your limit,it's gotta be worth it. :)
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    10gb a month is quite small these days.
    If I were you I'd upgrade to an unlimited package and not have to worry about being stung for usage charges.
    As you say £3 a month extra .. 10p a day for not having to worry about going over your limit,it's gotta be worth it. :)

If he changes supplier an unlimited package could even work out cheaper.....;)
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah its worth shopping around. Main player really have 2 types of plan i.e light user or unlimited with no fair use cap.
    They could be cheaper than a40 gb limit.