Torrent sites blocked ?

ziggy1888ziggy1888 Posts: 68
Forum Member
I recently had a new superhub installed. Since it was installed, I can't get any faster than 20mb( meant to be 100mb ) from my laptop even using the dongle. I have been unable to connect to any torrent sites since the new superhub was installed. Is anyone suffering from this. I'm in the Glasgow area.

Comments

• stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    ziggy1888 wrote: »
    I recently had a new superhub installed. Since it was installed, I can't get any faster than 20mb( meant to be 100mb ) from my laptop even using the dongle. I have been unable to connect to any torrent sites since the new superhub was installed. Is anyone suffering from this. I'm in the Glasgow area.

yep this is known, they don't like P2P.

weather illegal or legal. TPB is blocked by court order anyway. Theres only one site in my use that appears to be ok, probably a few others but nothing I have heard of.

this also causes problems with the blizzard downloader, in that you have to turn P2P off and tell it to go HTTP. on the blizzard downloaders that are integrated then it's a little tricky. you have to get an external downloader say one for Star craft, do the settings, close it then try the integrated one usually found on WOW. it should go http then.

same applies for steam, except that yes it's allowed, but not excluded from traffic shaping. So unless you download all your games past 9pm (or is it 8?) you will be throttled. Same applies if you got multiple games already and they all want to patch/update/DLC.

Not exactly gamer friendly is virgin. BE seems to be the one for that. Seriously though, virgin need an option for non traffic management, 50meg used to not have it but they've applied it there now. I wouldn't mind paying either.

Interestingly smallworld were looking at a bolt on, where you pay a feee and you get bigger upload, and a static ip.

If virgin did something like for an extra £12 p/m, and added:

-no traffic shaping
    -static ip (as in truly static)
    -option of a true cable modem
    -only appliable to 100meg teir (to stop people getting a line cheap for illegal torrenting)
    -slightly higher upload

I'd be up for paying that, I think many others would, especially the hardcore gamers who don't use phone or watch tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    is your laptop wired or wireless.

if they were blocking you would not be getting 20meg

they do shape etc but only if you have downloaded your allowance already
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traffic shaping used to be in daytime only but I hear they shape traffic all day now.

@Stuntmaster, never going to happen. if you want that then get yourself a business line.
  • BadvokBadvok Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind paying either.
    In that case you should look here.