50th Anniversary Special.

JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure I believe any of it but according to this, they're all back and Matt's off.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-special-1710900

Comments

• davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    The Moffat quote is completely legitimate, confirmed by several sources including DWO now, so its quite possible
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Moffat quote is completely legitimate, confirmed by several sources including DWO now, so its quite possible

Ah, but someone saying it would be nice if something happened is no guarantee of it actually happening
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Not sure I believe any of it but according to this, they're all back and Matt's off.

I doubt that Matt leaving is likely. Last time he was interviewed on the subject he said he would be continuing and rumors of him leaving seem to occur every year he has played the part.
    Forum Member
    Moffat didn't say it would be nice. He said it would be fitting. I can't imagine Moffat writing an anniversary special and not have it be a fitting tribute to the show. Especially since this episode in particular has had him more stressed than any other.
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member

WOW! That is HUGE news!

Tom Baker appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    Peter Davison appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    Colin Baker appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    Sylverster McCoy appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    Paul McGann appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    Christopher Eccleston appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    David Tennant appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT

ALL of them appearing on the show TOGETHER this year and meeting each other = :eek::eek::eek: OVERLOAD! OVERLOAD!

Just getting these 8 actors together in a room would be amazing. Getting them together on screen in character is beyond amazing.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not the most reliable of sources, but I suspect there's at least some truth in it. I'm sure at least two doctors will return for significant cameos - probably Paul McGann and David Tennant. We'll probably also see some flashback scenes involving all or most of the other doctors, and possibly even a narration from someone like Tom Baker who has the most iconic of voices.

However I think it's unlikely that we'll have significant cameos from ALL seven surviving actors, plus have a regeneration scene at the end. Certainly not in 60 minutes.

Unless: -

1). The 50th Anniverary special is longer than 60 minutes - 75 or 90 minutes long.

And

2). It leads into a second part which is the Christmas Special.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    Well it does say that the special is "feature length" which has to be more than 60 minutes!
    :)
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Well it does say that the special is "feature length" which has to be more than 60 minutes!
    :)

I was under the impression that the BBC had confirmed it as 60 minutes. And I guess anything more than the usual episode length of 45 minutes could be considered 'feature length'.

But I hope to be proved wrong!
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it. Seeing all the doctors together will be amazing. Wonder what the past doctors will do. Maybe help 11 remember or learn something he needs to save himself his freinds or the universe again.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the BBC had confirmed it as 60 minutes. And I guess anything more than the usual episode length of 45 minutes could be considered 'feature length'.

But I hope to be proved wrong!

BBC Worldwide told the Toy industry at a business fair that it would be 60 minutes. But I suppose the final edit might end up longer than that. Maybe Moffat can justify a longer edit than original plans if need be. Don't know whether that could stretch to 90 minutes or whether the Toy Fair info was even accurate. It might just have been a holding position while plans are confirmed (ie a minimum of that rather than definitely that.). I hope.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/50-things-for-50th.html

Not sure what I think of this. They claim it's not completely serious but that makes me wonder what is serious and what isn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The longer the. Better obviously.
    This news does seem to tie in to the news going round the Internet About Ricky Gervais taking over writing duties after Moffat , With Karl Pilkington taking over from Matt. All very intriguing.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would be very nice and exciting, but I'll believe this when I see it.

I am however, sometime during the first week of March, going to start watching every Doctor Who story that's out on DVD so far, in order. Starting with An Unearthly Child and gradually working my way up to Matt Smith. :)

I hope to be finished by the time the 50th Anniversary Special broadcasts in November. Fingers crossed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    It would be very nice and exciting, but I'll believe this when I see it.

I am however, sometime during the first week of March, going to start watching every Doctor Who story that's out on DVD so far, in order. Starting with An Unearthly Child and gradually working my way up to Matt Smith. :)

I hope to be finished by the time the 50th Anniversary Special broadcasts in November. Fingers crossed!

Good luck...!
  • billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    going to attempt
    are set to return
    want to involve
    would be
    thought to have agreed
    would be very fitting
    likely to provide
    If bosses manage

From the Mirror article. Not really very factual let's face it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    WOW! That is HUGE news!

Tom Baker appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    Peter Davison appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    Colin Baker appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    Sylverster McCoy appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    Paul McGann appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    Christopher Eccleston appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT
    David Tennant appearing on the show = HUGE, AMAZING EVENT

ALL of them appearing on the show TOGETHER this year and meeting each other = :eek::eek::eek: OVERLOAD! OVERLOAD!

Just getting these 8 actors together in a room would be amazing. Getting them together on screen in character is beyond amazing.

Calm yourself:p - its so unlikely this would happen:rolleyes:
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The special episode is likely to provide the exit point for Smith, who is expected to regenerate into the 12th Time Lord."

"BBC bosses are going to attempt to regenerate ALL the former Time Lords, reuniting them in a Doctor Who special."

What kind of newspaper employs people to write articles which are based on almost no evidence? Essentially, there are people being paid to make up stuff and write it down.
    I'm not saying the above is impossible, but they aren't facts like the articles makes them out to be.
    Forum Member
    The Moffat article is fact :p
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I'll believe this when I see it.
    they aren't facts like the articles makes them out to be.
    Not really very factual let's face it!
    13lives wrote: »
    its so unlikely this would happen:rolleyes:

No, as davrosdodebird pointed out in post two, the quote is 100% legitimate and confirmed on DWO:
    http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/Moffat-Adds-Fuel-To-Past-Doctor-Return-Rumours.aspx

Moffat said:
    “Getting the other Doctors involved would be very fitting for the anniversary episode, wouldn’t it?

If he wasn’t sure about doing a multiple Doctors episode, there is no way he would throw that out there and get people’s hopes up. Not only would it result in people being disappointed, but it would be like admitting that he can’t do what would be fitting for the show. But more importantly, the quote is clearly worded as a hint. You don’t talk that way if you don’t intend to deliver the goods. All that’s missing is “Wink, wink.” from the end!

If my girlfriend asked me if I was going to get her flowers on Valentine’s Day, and I said: “Well, you will have to wait and see, but flowers would seem fitting on such a romantic day, wouldn’t they?”. It would be outrageous if I then didn’t get her any!
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will they mostly be reprising their famous characters from The Airzone Solution?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Will they mostly be reprising their famous characters from The Airzone Solution?

There's a bit of obscure geek random/epic win! :)
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we are talking special episodes, I have started up a new thread called New Story - The Master's Revenge, continuing on from the thread 'Doctor Who One Sentance At A Time' story about Valentine's Day. I so hope that people are going to click on the thread and read what I have put. Then continue where I have left off. I so want to write a bit more, but I cannot as people have not added any replies yet. I started that thread over 24 hours ago, and as of now, there are no replies. I'd like to write a bit more, as it gives me something good to do on a subject that I love a lot.

Come on DW fans, PLEASE reply to that thread. I'm starting to feel a bit sad. My starting point for the story is very good, I think. :)
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My take on this story is that, in typical tabloid style, it is an extrapolation (made-up) from a quote, rather than having an actual source. It's guesswork.

My take on the Moffat quote (if genuinely by him) is that despite loving to hype and tease he wouldn't raise expectations on this score if he didn't intend try and honour them. It would just piss people off too much (not least the former Doctor Who actors themselves) to tease and not deliver on this particular issue. So if it's a real quote, and not taken wholly out of context, then I guess it's on - or at least they want it to be, pursuant to contract negotiations and the like. Beyond that I'd make no assumptions; certainly I think it's likely the 'seven former Doctors' mentioned in the article is just a guess.

One thing I've always said, and still believe, is that cameos would be a crap, token gesture not really worth the actors time. They should all have a meaningful and substantial role in the story.

I still think my idea (endorsed by Sylvester McCoy no less :P) was the best: have each surviving Doctor Who turn up in a different episode of the new series, in original roles, not playing the Doctor, and then have a season-long subplot that concludes in the anniversary special, which brings all of those characters together and reveals a plot-twist that ties all of them to the Doctor (previousy unknown even to the characters), recognizing them as somehow facets of his former incarnations. Hell, they could even be aged, fob-watch hidden duplicates of those incarnations. That's no more outlandish than most other stuff they do in the show and let's be honest, no-one will be that bothered by the how and why. It could even mean those characters still existing in some way and able to come back again in the future.

Of course, the above would only have been a goer if there was actually going to be a new series this year, which i assumed when I first came up with the idea... which sadly it now looks like there won't be. There's still 8 episodes, which would have been enough, but as we know, those are really last year's series.
  • benwhobenwho Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Bring them all back I say
  • billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, as davrosdodebird pointed out in post two, the quote is 100% legitimate and confirmed on DWO:
    http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/Moffat-Adds-Fuel-To-Past-Doctor-Return-Rumours.aspx

Moffat said:
    “Getting the other Doctors involved would be very fitting for the anniversary episode, wouldn’t it?

If he wasn’t sure about doing a multiple Doctors episode, there is no way he would throw that out there and get people’s hopes up. Not only would it result in people being disappointed, but it would be like admitting that he can’t do what would be fitting for the show. But more importantly, the quote is clearly worded as a hint. You don’t talk that way if you don’t intend to deliver the goods. All that’s missing is “Wink, wink.” from the end!

If my girlfriend asked me if I was going to get her flowers on Valentine’s Day, and I said: “Well, you will have to wait and see, but flowers would seem fitting on such a romantic day, wouldn’t they?”. It would be outrageous if I then didn’t get her any!

I will be as pleased as anyone if we get at least one or two former doctors (would be most pleased to have McGann and, say, Tom Baker or Ecclestone) but my point still stands: the words "would" or "if" are conditional, they are not statements of facts. Steven Moffat saying "I say bring back Chris and Dave too" is not quite the same thing as saying they are coming back. I am sure we will get at least one more doctor, any more will be a bonus (I trust Moffat to deliver a great story regardless).