Would dr who be bigger and more universally popular if...

thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It was an American programme?

It probably would be getting 20+ episodes a year, bigger budget, bigger writing team to ensure maintenance of quality and new ideas, better continuity of cast, as key members would be tied in for longer.

Comments

• PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact it's British is part of the charm. Also, I think a full American season of 24 episodes taking up six months of the year would kill the show. That, and the ad breaks we'd get throw in every five minutes.
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    I think the fact it's British is part of the charm. Also, I think a full American season of 24 episodes taking up six months of the year would kill the show. That, and the ad breaks we'd get throw in every five minutes.

But Star Trek is considerably bigger with greater universal appeal.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorr wrote: »

It probably would be getting 20+ episodes a year, bigger budget, bigger writing team to ensure maintenance of quality and new ideas, better continuity of cast, as key members would be tied in for longer.

You are comparing two completely different programmes. No way will the Americans be producing at least 20 x 45 minute episodes with a lot of effects on a annual basis. 30 minute episodes (similar to the classic series) as some would argue wouldn't work for modern audiences. If 30 minute episodes were a very good idea I am sure the BBC would have considered it. Also there is more work involved with Doctor Who so I don't think it is reasonable to expect cast members to stay for the same amount of time as cast members in shows with a less intensive workload. Also Doctor Who is all about change, I would think not changing actors often may have a negative impact on the show.
  • prof_traversprof_travers Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Would dr who be bigger and more universally popular if it was an American programme?

Of course - no one does bland TV as well as the USA :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pre-12th reveal, it seemed to me that most american fans were saying that they wanted the Doc to be British.
  • bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it would have all its rough edges and eccentricities knocked off and consequently it wouldn't be the same show.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Absolutely not.

It works because it's a British show and quite like nothing else in it's genre to be honest.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a bizarre thread. Utterly bizarre.
  • J_PeasmouldJ_Peasmould Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No disrespect to our American friends, or you, but wash your mouth out! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bizarre thread. Utterly bizarre.

Why?

We are often quoted a 77 million viewership, world-wide.

Don't you think some studio bean-counters, somewhere, are looking to 'leverage' the Dr Who brand?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    Why?

We are often quoted a 77 million viewership, world-wide.

Don't you think some studio bean-counters, somewhere, are looking to 'leverage' the Dr Who brand?

I find it bizarre because its comparing two entirely different things. And its quite clear what has made DW endure is that fact of its own special originality. More money, more writers and more money don't equal quality or success. A quick look at the endless list of failed US genre shows proves that. And if it had those things it wouldn't be Doctor Who anyway.
  • Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

It works because it's a British show and quite like nothing else in it's genre to be honest.

The attempted movie reboot in 1996 was supposed to be done in the US by FOX network. That worked really well didn't it? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it bizarre because its comparing two entirely different things. And its quite clear what has made DW endure is that fact of its own special originality. More money, more writers and more money don't equal quality or success. A quick look at the endless list of failed US genre shows proves that. And if it had those things it wouldn't be Doctor Who anyway.

I am really not sure DW endured. I do think it's embers were fanned by hard-core whovians. But even RTD et al, 2005, did not know if the continuation would thrive.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    The attempted movie reboot in 1996 was supposed to be done in the US by FOX network. That worked really well didn't it? :p

I actually like the Movie but the idea of an Americanised Doctor Who is wrong though. It's a British show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i liked the movie BUT if 8 had an entire series it would need to be back in the UK the odd field trip now & then is good but otherwise...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really not sure DW endured. I do think it's embers were fanned by hard-core whovians. But even RTD et al, 2005, did not know if the continuation would thrive.

No but what RTD did with the shows return was still retain that special 'Doctor Who-ness' which meant it stood out. Sure, he made some changes but one of the smartest things he did was not try to cynically appeal to what was popular and big at the time at the expense of the shows soul. That's what has helped make it such a success. And no doubt explains its increasing appeal in the US. Its offering something no other show does. I think the ideas the OP suggested would've just made it another generic genre show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member

And it would be shit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but what RTD did with the shows return was still retain that special 'Doctor Who-ness' which meant it stood out. Sure, he made some changes but one of the smartest things he did was not try to cynically appeal to what was popular and big at the time at the expense of the shows soul. That's what has helped make it such a success. And no doubt explains its increasing appeal in the US. Its offering something no other show does. I think the ideas the OP suggested would've just made it another generic genre show.

I think it's appeal in the US it quite lucky, in the sense that it came in the era of streaming/downloading, and the rise of the fangrrl segment during Twilight and Hunger Games.

To think that the success of the continuation is down to some inherent holiness about Who or it's premise, is imho, a complete delusion.

Don't taze me bro', I love Who and all it's cleverness, but sometimes fandom bites the hand that feeds it.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, successful here, a total flop in the US. Cue nine more years of waiting.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's appeal in the US it quite lucky, in the sense that it came in the era of streaming/downloading, and the rise of the fangrrl segment during Twilight and Hunger Games.

To think that the success of the continuation is down to some inherent holiness about Who or it's premise, is imho, a complete delusion.

Don't taze me bro', I love Who and all it's cleverness, but sometimes fandom bites the hand that feeds it.

Interesting. You think it's purely an available demographic thing then? Genuine question, I'm assuming you're from the US so I'd like to know who watches it there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Completely disagree. The US market for Who is still relatively cult and small. But like Sherlock its popularity is because it has its own character and is like nothing else on TV let alone the vapid big budget small ideas dross that alot of US TV throws up.

And its as far removed from drivel like Twilight and The Hunger Games as is possible.

There is something special about the premise and character of Doctor Who. You might not see it. Most people who watch do. Its why its about to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary. Do you want me to list the shows that haven't made that milestone? Oh wait. No. Because its ALL OF THEM.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Too many episodes leads to burn out.
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Too many episodes leads to burn out.

Are you serious? 13 episodes is no where near enough.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A pity that philosophy went out of the window with Torchwood Miracle Day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Are you serious? 13 episodes is no where near enough.

of course it is. Where do you think they are going to magic up the budget, the writers and the guest stars to increase the episode count? This isn't a factory. Its quality not quantity.