How do I get change a car tax from 'Disabled' class to 'Petrol car'

ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought a car at the weekend, asked allthe right questions abut HPI checks, Insurance write off, etc etc.
So off I toddled with the car, and only yesterday did it occur to me to find out when the tax expires. Yes, I know that should have been one of the questions to ask, but as the tax on my current car was about to expire, I guess in my head it wasn't going to make any difference to me, as I was going to have to pay one or the other. I don't need to be told what a stupid person I've been; I know, and I've had a really crappy weekend, so I really don't need any more grief at the moment.

Anyway...

I realised last night that there is no car tax. And looking on the New Keeper supplement form, the current taxation class is 'Disabled'. so not only do I need to get a tax disc, I also need to get the taxation class changed.

So I've been looking at the DirectGov website this evening to work out what I need to do to get it taxed.

I don't have the full log book yet, as it's too soon. I only have the 'New Keeper supplement'.
From directgov
So to get a new tax disc for the car, and change taxation class from disabled to petrol car, it looks like I need to
* fill out a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C - form V62'
* fill out a vehicle licence application - V10
* supply the current MOT - I have that
* supply the current insurance here's the problem

I've rearranged the insurance so that it is already valid, and the insurance company have posted the form to me, but it's taken 5 days so far, and nothing. They won't email it to me either.

My question is, will the DVLA office (and that's going to be a 60 miles round trip on its one) be able to check my insurance is valid via their own databases?

And while all this is stuck, am I supposed to apply for SORN? I can't even do that online!

This is turning into a nightmare. any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can check the insurance by putting the reg number in this database. You still may need a hard copy for the DVLA. Best give them a ring.

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    The easiest way to sort this is to go into the DVLA office, with all the paperwork you have, they will be able to sort it out. Had to do the same for my mother in law, took some explaining that the tax disc in the car wasn't valid as it had a couple of months to run. I would phone them first about the insurance, but they should be able to look it up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    keep.flyin wrote: »
    The easiest way to sort this is to go into the DVLA office, with all the paperwork you have, they will be able to sort it out. Had to do the same for my mother in law, took some explaining that the tax disc in the car wasn't valid as it had a couple of months to run. I would phone them first about the insurance, but they should be able to look it up.

The ONLY way to do this is to go to your local DVLA office! Takes far to long arseing about writing to Swansea etc. when you need to get the bloody thing on the road and legal.

Did this myself recently, take your new keeper supplement, insurance and MOT with you. They will give you a couple of forms to fill in to change taxation class and also to apply for a tax disc.

You can find your local DLVA office here;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/MotoringContacts/DG_10012974

but be quick, seems they might not be open for much longer if the Government get their way!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16158015