Survivor: Philippines (Season 25)

RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
Forum Member
✭✭
Thought I'd start this thread now as apparently the cast is going to be officially announced tomorrow.

Judging by the hype and rumours this is meant to be a fantastic season, and the one that will get people talking about Survivor again after a couple of so called 'dull' seasons.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool: Yeah. Thankfully the Olympics have been so great that I haven't had my usual withdrawals. But more than ready to get stuck in to a new Season.

Is it the 12th or 19th September it starts?
  • RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This cast is amazing! There seems to be so many big characters! Dawson and Malcolm are funny.
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring it on am really looking forward to this season! Any word on the returnees yet. Am guessing maybe Mike From Australia and sadly Coultan who hopefully will be voted straight out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait! Just saw this in the Daily Mail whose online version, is increasingly turning into an American paper:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2191140/Survivor-cast-2012-Lisa-Whelchel-join-cast.html

I guess this lady was a big star but I don't know who she is.
  • GREATGUYGREATGUY Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    Bring it on am really looking forward to this season! Any word on the returnees yet. Am guessing maybe Mike From Australia and sadly Coultan who hopefully will be voted straight out.

The returnees are pretty much confirmed to be -
    Mike Sukpin from Australia, Jonathan Penner from Cook Island/ Fans V favs and Russell Swan from Samoa
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redmond wrote: »

Denise (older dark haired lady) seems smart. If she gets into a good alliance I think she can go far. Dawson seems like a complete airhead - and as if she had had a drink or something. Seems even more out of it than the blonde airhead from last season. So Denise is my early favourite.
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wanted to be the first to make a smutty joke about Dawson's creek...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Interesting group. I'm so glad both Russell and Mike Scuppin are back, bit iffy about Penner as he's had his second chance. ( I do like him though, so I dont mind that much). I like Artis, and the guy who wants to be like Brian Heydick. -But all that will probably change after the first episode.

People are going nuts on the US boards thinking it's Colton coming back. :p Dont they read ? I dont think they'd bring him back for quite a while until people have forgotten how vile he was. Personally, like Phillip droopy drawers, I never want to see those two again.

:cry: I am so going to miss Reality News Online. They'd have started their coverage by now. Apart from Reality TV Calendar no other site covers Survivor decently, and no other site gives so much insight into strategy and speculation. RIP RNO. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The returnees: http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/21/survivor-philippines-michael-skupin-jonathan-penner-russell-swan/

Jonathan Penner @SurvivorPenner

I'm back friends, here to kick ass and chew bubblegum. But, as Rowdy Roddy says, I'm all OUT of bubblegum. So let's get ready to RUMMBBLLE!

:D
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Skupin. I don't remember much about Australia but wasn't he kind of boring? Russell Swann was a nonentity his year. Jonathan is a good choice but this formula of the returning players vs newbies really bugs me, it hasn't produced a good series yet excluding Micronesia which was different.

Also - why do the returning cast always have to be males?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    Mike Skupin. I don't remember much about Australia but wasn't he kind of boring? Russell Swann was a nonentity his year. Jonathan is a good choice but this formula of the returning players vs newbies really bugs me, it hasn't produced a good series yet excluding Micronesia which was different.

Also - why do the returning cast always have to be males?

Mike was quite irritating IIRC. Very controlling and trying to be the Alpha male. But that was 10 years ago and an awful lots changed since then, maybe he's mellowed
    I liked Russell, he had potential but we never got to know much about any of the Samoan lot apart from Shambo because the whole series was edited as a Russell Hantz promo. :mad: ( Although, ironically, it's the only season I think he should have won).

Good point about the returnees being male. There's a couple of females like Brenda I'd like to see back. Have they had any females medically evacuated apart from whatsername from last seaso? ( :p My memory is like a sieve!) Cos that's the criteria this year.

I'm quite looking forward to this, it's not Samoa, there's no Hantzes, hopefully there's no Redemption Island. I'm wondering about the II being so obvious though. :D It could fool them if they're glaringly staring at them, sometimes you miss what's right in front of you if you think it's hard to find..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »

Good point about the returnees being male. There's a couple of females like Brenda I'd like to see back.
    You'll be happy with Season 26 then. :)

As for the returnees I think they are good choices. Mike Skupin was on Survivor 10 years ago, so it will be interesting to see how he is now and how he plays the game, seeing as its evolved so much since then.

Russell Swan never really got his chance to shine, because of both injury and Hantz overload.

And then Jonathan Penner is just Jonathan Penner. Great character, decent player, always makes good TV.

And I don't think the returnees will dominant the screen time quite as much as previous returnees have. The new cast seem to have some big characters amongst them.
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redmond wrote: »
    You'll be happy with Season 26 then. :)

As for the returnees I think they are good choices. Mike Skupin was on Survivor 10 years ago, so it will be interesting to see how he is now and how he plays the game, seeing as its evolved so much since then.

Russell Swan never really got his chance to shine, because of both injury and Hantz overload.

And then Jonathan Penner is just Jonathan Penner. Great character, decent player, always makes good TV.

And I don't think the returnees will dominant the screen time quite as much as previous returnees have. The new cast seem to have some big characters amongst them.

Mike hunted and caught a pig if I remember rightly.
    The only girl i remember being medically evacuated was the girl who broke her arm recently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :) Interesting group. I'm so glad both Russell and Mike Scuppin are back, bit iffy about Penner as he's had his second chance. ( I do like him though, so I dont mind that much). I like Artis, and the guy who wants to be like Brian Heydick. -But all that will probably change after the first episode.

People are going nuts on the US boards thinking it's Colton coming back. :p Dont they read ? I dont think they'd bring him back for quite a while until people have forgotten how vile he was. Personally, like Phillip droopy drawers, I never want to see those two again.

:cry: I am so going to miss Reality News Online. They'd have started their coverage by now. Apart from Reality TV Calendar no other site covers Survivor decently, and no other site gives so much insight into strategy and speculation. RIP RNO. :(

I too am missing RNO. Their coverage was definitely the most thorough and most interesting to read. Occasionally I have a quick look at the site to see if there are any signs of it coming back to life, but nothing. I am really surprised that nobody took up the owner's offer to buy the site off him. There were so many analysts there would have hoped one of them would have been able to keep it going. Perhaps it's just too expensive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What an awful explanation by Probst! The only reason they brought back these 3 players this season is because of what happened TO them, not because they're "colorful characters". Mike and Russell especially, the only reason they're remembered is because of how they left the game, not how they played the game. Jonathan, fair enough he was a prominent character in his first season, not so much second time around.
    I don't mind the concept of bringing back people who were medically evacuated because it must be bitter to be taken out like that, but I don't understand why Jonathan gets another chance when he's already played once without being evacuated, so unlike Mike and Russell he's had the experience of being voted off at Tribal Council.

But here's hoping it's a good season nonetheless! Starting with 3 tribes should definitely be interesting!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant wait not long to go now. Will it be a "double ep" or just the normal running time?
  • 027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one2escape wrote: »
    Cant wait not long to go now. Will it be a "double ep" or just the normal running time?

First episode is 90 minutes long :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, what a misogynist twit Jeff sounds. Awful article. His poor new wife.

It's a good job I still think he's the best host for the series by a long way, or I'd have been booing him tomorrow. Change your attitude Jeffey. It's so 1960's. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all knew that Jeff had a terrible attitude towards female survivors and that article just confirms it. I do love him as a host but he's a complete sexist pig. I think the show as a whole generally follows his kind of view though which is annoying. All too often women are viewed / edited as just riding coat-tails.

Really excited for the new series though.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're the nocturnal type, we'll be watching and discussing here live from 1am
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1736417
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    We all knew that Jeff had a terrible attitude towards female survivors and that article just confirms it.

He definitely gets man crushes on the strong alpha males. The challenges also tend to favor those athletic males, which gives them the option of a more direct strategy of gaining an advantage simply by doing well in challenges. Others who don't have that physical advantage in challenges have to play a more social game, which sometimes means appearing to sit back while a physically stronger player makes a target of themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my God Russell Swann is so annoying.:D Lucky for him that Zane made a slightly bigger idiot of himself, I really wanted Russell to go though as I could barely stand the sound of his voice anymore.

Finding this three tribe thing very difficult to keep track of though. We barely got to see anything of the Jonathan tribe.

Mike Skupin = deluded. He was worried that he might not be able to live up to legend he was in Australia even though he never even made it to the merge there (due to injury which is fair enough I suppose). He isn't a Survivor legend though. However, I find him kind of amusing how accident prone he is and he seems nice enough so far.

Not really got a solid feeling on whether I like the cast or not yet, though I liked Denise the sex-therapist, Angie, Michael, and I quite liked RC/Abi.:)