Behind the Candelabra

foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,390
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone seen this yet?

Went to see it yesterday - Thought it was brilliant!!

Michael Douglas, Matt Damon and Rob Lowe really brought life to their roles!!!!

I loved it - Liberace was quite a character :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This film is the best I've seen this year. Shame on Hollywood studios for not making it a big screen and instead distributing it just for TV.

Michael and Matt deserve Oscar nominations for this.

Rob Lowe was priceless.

Superb!
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    This film is the best I've seen this year. Shame on Hollywood studios for not making it a big screen and instead distributing it just for TV.

Michael and Matt deserve Oscar nominations for this.

Rob Lowe was priceless.

Superb!

Yep, totally agree with you here...Rob was hilarious!!!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they will get oscar nominations, because this film was actually show on television in America, where as here it got a cinema release. They will likely be nominated for emmys and golden globes.
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they will get oscar nominations, because this film was actually show on television in America, where as here it got a cinema release. They will likely be nominated for emmys and golden globes.

Its unfortunate - it deserved a cinema-release in America!!! You would have thought in this day and age that country could deal with the subject matter :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    foxy23 wrote: »
    Its unfortunate - it deserved a cinema-release in America!!! You would have thought in this day and age that country could deal with the subject matter :confused:

Really not. The distributors would probably be boycotted and accused of satanism. Then shot...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Not usually a cinema goer but I can't wait to see this!
  • MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    This was great. The actors must have been laughing their socks off!
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting people to pay cinema prices for TV material is a great idea. It won't encourage piracy at all.:)
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very good as a film told from the perspective of Scott Thorsen, however I think there are other interesting stories about Liberace (like the court case with the Daily Mirror which was only mentioned in passing) which may have given the film even more depth had they been included. Michael Douglas was a revelation in that role, I never would have imagined him as Liberace but the casting was inspired as he was excellent. I stayed for the credits at the end (yes, I'm that sad) and it was only then when I realised that Debbie Reynolds played the role of his mother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxy23 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this yet?

Went to see it yesterday - Thought it was brilliant!!

Michael Douglas, Matt Damon and Rob Lowe really brought life to their roles!!!!

I loved it - Liberace was quite a character :)

Yes, I am seen it. For me it was an uncomfortable portrayal of Lee Liberace. He came across as a superficial and lecherous man. I failed to see any depth to his character.
  • teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    brilliant movie! amazing acting from all, but especially Douglas and Damon

the part that Catholicism played in his life was fascinating, too
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who remembers Liberace's ATV specials would see that Michael Douglas' portrayal, enjoyable as it was, was nowhere near smarmy enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I know this, but had it have been put out in the cinema, they would have been a dead cert for a nomination.

Special mention to Debbie Reynolds too. She was delightful.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Yes, I know this, but had it have been put out in the cinema, they would have been a dead cert for a nomination.

Special mention to Debbie Reynolds too. She was delightful.

I never said they wouldn't and wasn't just telling you alone it hadn't been shown in the cinema, but informing others as well
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Getting people to pay cinema prices for TV material is a great idea. It won't encourage piracy at all.:)

True.. but regardless of that this is the best movie of the year thus far. Both leads should be up for emmys for this one and as to be expected with HBO it doesnt feel like a T moviet all.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casting directors looking for an actress to play the mother of a gay man look no further than Debbie Reynolds! She was also great playing Howard Brackett's (Kevin Kline) mother in "In And Out".
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Great film. Pity it went straight to TV in the States because there are two Oscar winning performances in this film without a shadow of a doubt.

Not a film for the squeamish what with the plastic surgery close-ups and the Matt Damon giving it to Michael Douglas up the @### scene :o

Edit: Stunned to find out post seeing the film that Debbie Reynolds played the Mother :eek:
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this last night and all I can say is Michael Douglas is quite astonishing as Liberace. Just minutes into the film you believed he was Liberace - he had the voice, the mannerisms, and the look was very close. I'd forgotten about the controversy over Liberace's death until the end of the film too.

Definitely a shame the film can't be nominated in the Oscars.
    9/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Tremse wrote: »
    Saw this last night and all I can say is Michael Douglas is quite astonishing as Liberace. Just minutes into the film you believed he was Liberace - he had the voice, the mannerisms, and the look was very close. I'd forgotten about the controversy over Liberace's death until the end of the film too.

Definitely a shame the film can't be nominated in the Oscars.
    9/10

It was a decent enough film, to me it was just Douglas being very camp, I thought he just looked too gaunt and old to convince as Liberace.
  • Ali_CWAli_CW Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I watched the movie in the week of it's release.
    I enjoyed it. Hopefully the events are as near to the truth of what that era was like for both Liberace and Scott.

Douglas and Lowe gave the best performance of their careers!
    Matt Damon was excellent. He crossed over that line when an actor emotionally delivers something more to a part.

10/10 for this movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wetherby wrote: »
    It was a decent enough film, to me it was just Douglas being very camp, I thought he just looked too gaunt and old to convince as Liberace.

funny you should say that - I thought Douglas improved on the original. It beat me how anyone could fancy Liberace in later life - the man became a grotestque.

Douglas played the role with a sensuality that gave credence to how the young, vulnerable Scott could fall for him
    Forum Member

Liberace was very camp...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    Liberace was very camp...

Indeed he was was.......my point was that I was aware I watching and knowing it was Douglas playing camp.....not for a second did he convince me he was Liberace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I barely recognize Dan Akroyd in this until right near the end. Same for Scott Bakula.

I thought Douglas also underplayed Liberace at times, perhaps trying to make him seem sympathetically child like, but all in all a good send off for Soderbergh if he is done with movies for good.
    Forum Member
    Indeed he was was.......my point was that I was aware I watching and knowing it was Douglas playing camp.....not for a second did he convince me he was Liberace.

Michael Douglas problem was that he was post cancer and thin and therefore unable to play a realistic chubby Liberace.