PS3 to PS4 game upgrades

fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,860
Forum Member
✭✭
Sony have clarified some details on how gamers buying certain PS3 games can later upgrade to the PS4 version at a reduced price.

The games eligible for a cheap upgrade will be Assassin's Creed 4, Call Of Duty: Ghosts, Watch_Dogs, Battlefield 4 and NBA 2K14.

Buy the above games on disc or PSN download and for a limited time you will be able to download a digital copy for PS4 for £9.99 (£11.99 for NBA)

If you buy the disc, you will have a code in the box which allows you access to the cheaper PS4 version on PSN. You will need to keep your PS3 disc though, and insert it into the PS4 to play the next-gen version. If you're worried that you won't get your PS4 before the offer expires, you can redeem the code on your PS3 and then download it to your PS4 at a later date.

If you buy the digital download version on PS3, you don't need to do anything. When you get your PS4, sign in with your existing ID and the discounted version will be on the store waiting for you.

Expiry dates -
AC4, WD - 31/1/14
BF4 - 28/3/14
COD, NBA 4K - 31/3/14

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh cool never thought about redeeming code early. Nice one

Im looking at this as 2 unique games. Bf4 on ps3 with 24 players. ..which I enjoy anyway with bf3 and then next year a whole new ball game with 64 on ps4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you copied the American details? Fifa 14 is included :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought but surely after the expiry date they could patch to not need the original disc. Its not even for the selling it that bothers me. IT's just it losses the convenience of the digital version
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how much of these vouchers will end up on ebay
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you copied the American details? Fifa 14 is included :)

Nope. FIFA isn't currently listed in the EU PlayStation blog.

Possibly an error on SCEE's part, we'll see.

EDIT: it seems FIFA 14 will be upgraded in a separate scheme through retailers. GAME has already confirmed that it will offer £40 credit on Xbox 360 and PS3 copies of FIFA 14, Battlefield 4 and Call Of Duty: Ghosts when traded for Xbox One or PS4 versions of the same game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be aware you have to have purchased the PS3 (or 360) version from GAME and show your receipt to get £40 trade-in at GAME.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Just when are we going to have 3rd parties support the PS4 soley and drop the PS3??
    Even Metal Gear Solid V is scheduled for a PS3 release!

With such an install base they are not taking a chance to go all out exclusive!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    Just when are we going to have 3rd parties support the PS4 soley and drop the PS3??
    Even Metal Gear Solid V is scheduled for a PS3 release!

With such an install base they are not taking a chance to go all out exclusive!

Games are still being released on PS2, so not anytime soon would be my guess
    http://www.game.co.uk/en/fifa-14-235606?pageSize=20&searchTerm=fifa%2014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long live the ps3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how much of these vouchers will end up on ebay

You still need the disc though
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Games are still being released on PS2, so not anytime soon would be my guess
    http://www.game.co.uk/en/fifa-14-235606?pageSize=20&searchTerm=fifa%2014

Yeah, I just get the vibe that developers have the mindset on creating new titles on an cross generational basis; across PS3/PS4 for quite sometime, rather than starting fresh projects with the PS4 in mind.

It will be interesting on what improvements PS4 versions have. If it's just the framerate or extra nonessential details than I really just feel like sticking to the PS3 a while longer.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    Yeah, I just get the vibe that developers have the mindset on creating new titles on an cross generational basis; across PS3/PS4 for quite sometime, rather than starting fresh projects with the PS4 in mind.

They'd be daft if they just abandoned the 70 million plus PS3consoles world wide so its not going to happen for quite a while.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see that PS3 discs will be used to validate your PS4 version.

Pretty much confirms how Gaikai streaming will work IMHO.