Doctor Who - The Name Of The Doctor 18th May 7pm

darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
Forum Member
✭✭✭
SCIENCE FICTION SERIES: Doctor Who
On: BBC 1 (101)
Date: Saturday 18th May 2013 (starting in 8 days)
Time: 19:00 to 19:45 (45 minutes long)

The Name of the Doctor.
Sci-fi drama. The Doctor has a secret he will take to his grave. And it is discovered.
(Stereo, Last In Series, Widescreen, Subtitles, Dolby Digital 5.1, Audio Described, 5 Star)

Director: Saul Metzstein
Starring: Matt Smith, Jenna-Louise Coleman, Alex Kingston, Richard E. Grant, Neve McIntosh, Catrin Stewart

Digiguide details are out :D see the starring roles

Comments

• TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Name of the Doctor.
    Sci-fi drama. The Doctor has a secret he will take to his grave. And it is discovered.
    (Stereo, Last In Series, Widescreen, Subtitles, Dolby Digital 5.1, Audio Described, 5 Star)

Starring: Matt Smith, Jenna-Louise Coleman, Alex Kingston, Richard E. Grant, Neve McIntosh, Catrin Stewart

Well this is new...creating an episode thread before the episode before has even aired...
    Anyway, BIB: Did not know that. Not really much of a surprise though.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of this thread, not a fan of this thread at all
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this getting a bit silly starting the episode threads so early? Someone will be along with the Fiftieth any minute now ...
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member

The Name of the Doctor.

The Great Intelligence, Madame Vastra and Jenny?
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shall I start one for the series 8 premiere? :D

Seriously though, it's a tad pathetic starting it so early.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    It is getting "very silly indeed", to quote Monty Python!
    Personally I think only the DS Mods should start the "official" episode threads, and always a fixed number of days before the air date, and pinned straight away so no-one has the excuse that they didn't know the thread had already been started.
    They should also fix the poll options too so they are consistent and we don't have a repeat of the debacle a couple of weeks ago when people voted only to then find that the options had subsequently been changed!
    :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    It is getting "very silly indeed", to quote Monty Python!
    Personally I think only the DS Mods should start the "official" episode threads, and always a fixed number of days before the air date, and pinned straight away so no-one has the excuse that they didn't know the thread had already been started.
    They should also fix the poll options too so they are consistent and we don't have a repeat of the debacle a couple of weeks ago when people voted only to then find that the options had subsequently been changed!
    :mad:

Good call on the Mods creating the episode thread and polls. Would give some consistency.
    Forum Member
    Good call on the Mods creating the episode thread and polls. Would give some consistency.
    I just think things have often got in a terrible mess here this year during the episode transmissions, with multiple episode threads often started ridiculously early, which then have to be merged causing endless confusion, and polls where the options change every week!
    If the mods always created the thread for the next episode on the Sunday after the previous one aired, and pinned it along with the previous episode's thread at the top of the board, that would be a lot more sensible IMHO.
    Then people would know exactly where the threads for the previous episode and the next episode were all the time, and a poll could be added to the next episode thread as soon as the episode ended its transmission.
    I'm not suggesting that it should be forbidden for anyone else to start a thread about an episode I hasten to add, but only the pinned one at the top of the board would be accepted as the "official" episode thread with a poll attached.
    :)
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah we had this problem on the Liverpool forums, posters would rush to the chance to be the one to post the official match thread.

So now a mod does it, that way no arguing! And we don't have them opened a month in advance. :D
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I think the idea of having them 1 week in advance as per the Cold War thread was a good idea as it allowed previews trailers hints teasers etc to be gathered and discussed in the same area leading up to the transmission, but 2 weeks early when no official previews etc will be available for 2/3 days yet is slightly silly.
  • darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol i didn't see people moan endlessly when the episode thread for the 11th May episode was posted
    Forum Member
    That's because it was posted 1 week early, something which has been happening for a few episodes now, was agreed upon as a good thing in the Cold War Thread and had some consent. THIS has been posted 9 days early, before NIS has aired. At least I and the other poster waited til the current episode had finished before posting (how else would we have been able to link to all the previews?)
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    That's because it was posted 1 week early, something which has been happening for a few episodes now, was agreed upon as a good thing in the Cold War Thread and had some consent. THIS has been posted 9 days early, before NIS has aired. At least I and the other poster waited til the current episode had finished before posting (how else would we have been able to link to all the previews?)

I agree with you. The episode thread shouldn't go up until the previous episode airs. It's now becoming the equivalent of being First to comment on a news article, pointless and silly.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was bound to happen, it does seem to have become some sort of challenge amongst certain posters to see who can be the first to get the next episode thread up, all a bit attention seeking and childish really IMO.

I agree about the mods starting official episode threads, would stop all this nonsense once and for all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MODS! ARE YOU LISTENING TO OUR PLEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I think it should go up the night before- the bunfight to start the thread has gotten silly with it being posted up right when many are still basking in the afterglow of the previous episode. what say we?
    Forum Member
    I agree with The Silent Fez who started the 1 week early thing because it gets rid of the need to have a separate thread for the previews trailers reviews etc and means the thread acts as a splace for pre episode discussion as well as during and post. but over 1 week is silly.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the idea of having them 1 week in advance as per the Cold War thread was a good idea as it allowed previews trailers hints teasers etc to be gathered and discussed in the same area leading up to the transmission, but 2 weeks early when no official previews etc will be available for 2/3 days yet is slightly silly.

I agree with this too. I see absolutely no problem about starting the thread for the next episode a week before it airs. It lets people discuss and speculate the episode to come as well as discuss various previews and reviews. I don't know why people moan about it. The only reasons I've seen is "I don't want to read through all this rubbish before I get to the actual episode discussion" and to that I say- Why the hell do you want to read through the whole thread?! Just read the last few pages like most people do.
    Another reason is- "some sad nerds have this childish competition to see who can create the episode thread first", which of course isn't even an argument.

Anyway, yes, I have to agree that creating this thread is more than a little bit on the silly side. The episode before hasn't even aired yet and there are no previews or reviews to discuss.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    This was bound to happen, it does seem to have become some sort of challenge amongst certain posters to see who can be the first to get the next episode thread up, all a bit attention seeking and childish really IMO.

I agree about the mods starting official episode threads, would stop all this nonsense once and for all.

It is nonsense. Nothing more than a competition and ego boost. Very strange.

The mods starting them would be ideal. This may be a stupid thread, but it's not that far fetched.
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many pages will be taken up before something's actually posted about the episode itself?:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Andy Joannou, who's a mod here and "one of us"(!) could comment on this discussion as to whether he'd perhaps be willing to take on the episode threads as a regular thing.
    The important thing as far as I'm concerned is that they are pinned straight away when they're created, and only a mod can do that.
    If they are created early and not pinned, they can float down the board, sometimes onto page two, and this just encourages people to start new ones as they're not immediately aware that one already exists.
    It's all a bit late now for this run of course, but something definitely to be considered for the future I think.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Oh, what a marvelous thread! :)

For the record, the Name of the Doctor is the final episode of Season 7, and it is not unusual for a forum member to start a thread discussing the season finale weeks in advance of its transmission.

We already have threads discussing the anniversary special, which is TWO episodes and six months away.

Back in 2005, we had threads discussing the Season 1 finale just a week or two after Rose was broadcast.
    Forum Member
    Yes, one of those rare wonderful threads that's almost totally off-topic!
    :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member

The Name of the Doctor.

Well it’s good to know that the episode is going to be 45 mins longer and it mostly is :)

So does this mean the episode TND isn’t going to be a two part story? As I thought it was going to be (disappointing if this is the case :( )
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timeboy33 wrote: »
    Well it’s good to know that the episode is going to be 45 mins longer and it mostly is :)

So does this mean the episode TND isn’t going to be a two part story? As I thought it was going to be (disappointing if this is the case :( )

Well it obviously wasn't going to be cause we only have 2 left, and the next one is the Cybermen.
    Forum Member
    Hooray, back on topic!
    :D
    It was stated quite clearly at the start of this series last year, that there were no two-parters this time round.
    A deliberate policy decision, rightly or wrongly.