Large screen vs small screen

Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just your thoughts really?

I always thought bigger = better and that my 42" Panny was the be all and end all of gaming screens, however, since I started doing some PC gaming I've been hooking my PS3/Xbox upto my 23" monitor. The single biggest benefit I've noticed is no motion sickness, an absolute god send, as it was becoming more of a regular thing on the big screen, especially with games like FarCry 3 - fast moving FPS type games always seem to make it worse.

Everything also looks better on a good monitor, the smaller screen seems to make jaggies less noticeable everything is sharper and better defined.

Haha I always wanted bigger and bigger tv's only now to find out I prefer a good monitor that even provides health benefits! :D

Comments

• The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    I'm much more of a traditionalist I'm afraid, the bigger the better.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends where you sit. It sit far away and need a bit screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer 42" and no bigger. I like to sit quite close and any bigger would give me neck ache. I have never suffered from motion sickness as a result of gaming though!
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    I used to use my 46" Samsung, but decided to buy a 27" screen with low ms for gaming, and ive decided in this case, that smaller is better.

27" is perfect!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's gotta be a big screen (in this case a 55"). The way we game has changed. It's big screen and DD SS now. I think gone are the days of hooking your games machine/console up to a small screen. Most if not all large screen tv's have game settings.
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just have a 32 inch and I think that is a perfect size for me. Big enough to experience the game but not too big that the detail gets lost. I usually sit just over a metre away, when I've stood up to play as my tv is high up and gone too close to the screen it gives me motion sickness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    32"Toshiba led is my fave just about right for me, ive tried on a 47" panasonic but it wasnt for me I do some times hook up my 22" inch if the wifes watching strictly or some crap but its just a little too small even sitting close.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I play on a 22" monitor, I'm comfortable playing on that if I move to another screen I find it takes me a while to adjust so I stick with what I'm comfortable with.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    For me it's gotta be a big screen (in this case a 55"). The way we game has changed. It's big screen and DD SS now. I think gone are the days of hooking your games machine/console up to a small screen. Most if not all large screen tv's have game settings.

most part is true, but game mode on almost all TV's downgrade the picture quality. and also the problem with BIG screen HDTV's is the input lag.

my 27" Samsung Monitor has 2ms response rate and ive got 2.1 THX System hooked up, so i dont think the days of the small screen gaming setup have gone.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Well i'm buying a hd projector for the bedroom, 100" might be abit extreme :)
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Small screen all the way.

I used to sit in front of my livingroom TV to play games, thinking bigger is better, how wrong was I. I will never go back to that now.

HD also looks better on a small screen, obviously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    most part is true, but game mode on almost all TV's downgrade the picture quality. and also the problem with BIG screen HDTV's is the input lag.

my 27" Samsung Monitor has 2ms response rate and ive got 2.1 THX System hooked up, so i dont think the days of the small screen gaming setup have gone.

I saw a Samsung monitor the other day. It was Full HD and 3D and had smart features and I admit the PQ looked stunning :)
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm much more of a traditionalist I'm afraid, the bigger the better.

same here!!! :)
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bigger is better for me. I've got a 46" Bravia and my TV is for movies as well as gaming, but a lot depends on the TV you buy. I spent 4 months searching for a TV. I did the research to find which was the best for gaming (minimal input lag) as well as having excellent colour, black levels etc...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever since i got my 32" Sony Bravia it has changed how i look at gaming literally, when i played things on an SDTV it just looks so (without beating around the bush) shit and i can't believe it was ever an acceptable standard

As for size, i much prefer bigger TVs to play on

the bigger the better
  • AkimboGeordieAkimboGeordie Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    24" is optimal size for gaming.. gaming monitors are the way to go!

This enables you more clear and precise picture due to closer pixel pitch and the added advantage of superfast response times (around 2-5ms) over your TV (100 - 150ms).

The larger you go.. the worse it gets!
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mate has a 32" TV but with a crappy make, while I've got a 27" Samsung (and before that had a 22" Samsung). In both cases, my TV looked much better.

Size isn't everything, lots of other small details to take into consideration as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Traditional FPS CAN give me headaches, but I play a LOT of Killzone 3 (in top 2000), which when using Move has dead zones (calms the movement), I have to use a large screen due to Move doesn't like close up.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Size isn't everything, lots of other small details to take into consideration as well.

Is this what you tell your partner (or whoever you may be having sex with)? :D

Seriously though, I agree completely.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    My mate has a 32" TV but with a crappy make, while I've got a 27" Samsung (and before that had a 22" Samsung). In both cases, my TV looked much better.

I think screen quality is a lot more important than size.

When I have played LAN play with my PS3 at a mates house one of us was playing on a 32" LG screen and the other used the 17" Wharfedale from the kitchen, the quality on the small screen is awful compared to the large screen.

I currently use a 40" Samsung for gaming, films and TV which its pretty good, a step up from the 32" Samsung it replaced which was so old it didn't have a digital tuner.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bigger the better. I use a 40 inch at the moment for everything from Megadrive to PS3. Hopefully will be getting a 55 or 60 inch soon... ready for the PS4 ;)

:) Mark
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive found that the picture on my living room 50inch *plasma* is much better for gaming then on my spare 32inch *LCD* in the upstairs bedroom ... doesnt seem anywhere near as blurry when stuff is moving around ... unless im just imagining it lol :o
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    50 inch plasma downstairs but much to my wifes disapproval id much rather play COD on the 32 incher in the bedroom. Its much easier to take everything in on the smaller screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only difference between 24" and 60" is the distance you need between you and the screen. The panel quality is a far more important consideration over the size.

Buying bigger for the next gen is a bit of a waste as well, seeing as full HD is already 1080p. No real gain to be had there.

Typical male frame of mind "bigger is better". :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Quality is important hence large expensive TV, I sit about 5 foot from it, wrists on a little table to support my hands.

One friend uses a front projector and a Sharpshooter.