3 triples profits adding 697,000 customers in a year

Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
Forum Member
✭✭
3 UK, the mobile network, has more than tripled its profits after adding 697,000 customers in a year.

Operating profits at 3, which is owned by Hong Kong conglomerate Hutchison Whampoa, rose to £86m in the first six months of 2013, up from £26m in the same period last year.

New subscribers willing to sign contracts for top-of-the-range smartphones helped boost the company's revenues 9% year on year, reaching a first half total of £1bn for the first time since the network's launch in 2003.

3's service revenue, from bills for calls, text and internet use, has remained flat at £667m for the first half of the year, but its handset revenues grew 30% to £321m.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/aug/01/mobile-operator-3-triples-profits

I think 3-2-1 and The One Plan at £15 and free LTE will attract more customers in the coming months.

Comments

• Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they have gained 700,000 customers so far this year? Didn't they grow by 1.2 million last year?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    So they have gained 700,000 customers so far this year? Didn't they grow by 1.2 million last year?

No, they gained 700k in the last year.

it's more around 250k since Jan 2013.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However Q4 this year is going to be big I think, and just the in the last few weeks there seems to have been a lot of buzz with their new tariffs so I think we could see a rise again in Q3 and Q4.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    However Q4 this year is going to be big I think, and just the in the last few weeks there seems to have been a lot of buzz with their new tariffs so I think we could see a rise again in Q3 and Q4.

321, one plan and free 4G will be the reasons.
  • megarespmegaresp Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    3 triples profits adding 697,000 customers...

I'm not surprised and confess to a certain amount of pleasure at reading this.

I left Orange for Three's One Plan. 6 weeks later my wife left T-Mobile for the same reason. She actually bought out the remaining 4 months of her contract so she could get access to Three's unlimited data and a 'free' iPhone 5.

We're now paying slightly less per month for our mobiles with unlimited data and tethering than we were in our old place for a BT line, 2 mobiles with the usual pathetic data allocations, and ADSL Internet.

My guess is at least one of the other providers will match Three's data offering sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.