The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    A reminder that last year New Year Live peaked with a bonkers high of 12.82m (64%). The year before the peak was 11.2m, which seems a little more likely for tonight.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=55617759&postcount=2304

Interesting to see that the show is 10 minutes longer tonight. I'm expecting Olympic Montages:D hopefully.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not being presumptuous, but given the length of my post above, can I suggest if anyone does wants to quote it, they don't quote the whole lot!

I've enough enemies on here as it is... :D

A good round-up post.
    I may not agree with ever single thing in it, but it was an enjoyable read and overall it was a pretty accurate take.:)
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - Martin Clunes scoring a big stinker late in the year with The Town, possibly now holding the record for ITV's lowest ever prime time first run drama audience

Just watched it tonight. It wasn't that bad and didn't deserve such appalling figures.

With so much commercial free viewing this year on the BBC with the Olympics, the masses seem to be turning against ITV, where the ads appear to be getting in the way of the programmes.

The Town was basically a two and a bit hour film, shown by ITV in twelve 11 minute segments over three weeks.

Not the way to enjoy TV. Wonder how many are 'stacking' and watching these short run ITV dramas, outside the BARB seven day window?
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

"Such a shame that flopped" of the year
    I thought Let's Get Gold (ITV1) had lots of potential but it didn't pay off; maybe it was too close to Britain's Got Talent in format and didn't have the people to pull it off. )

I forgot about this when I posted my list. I'm sorry, but this was a really, really bad idea and an indication of why ITV are struggling to find new LE hits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Just watched it tonight. It wasn't that bad and didn't deserve such appalling figures.

With so much commercial free viewing this year on the BBC with the Olympics, the masses seem to be turning against ITV, where the ads appear to be getting in the way of the programmes.

The Town was basically a two and a bit hour film, shown by ITV in twelve 11 minute segments over three weeks.

Not the way to enjoy TV. Wonder how many are 'stacking' and watching these short run ITV dramas, outside the BARB seven day window?

IIRC The Town had good reviews, that's why there was such surprise in this thread when the final episode did so shockingly bad, But it came up against Last Tango In Halifax, the big new drama hit of the autumn.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What could be interesting (maybe) would be a category

2012 : Shows killed by bad scheduling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw a trailer of Challenge just now for the new series of Got To Dance on Sky One. I forget about this A relatively new reality show that was a hit albeit that it doesn't need very many viewers on Sky to do that.

One of its judges is Kimberley Wyatt. We've got Nicole Scherzinger on X Factor and now Ashley Roberts as a judge on DOI (:confused:). There's a real invasion of pussycats on British television these days.

ITV3's showbiz slot FYI reported on Ashley joining DOI. "Can she do for DOI what Nicole did for X Factor? they asked. What, help it attract 7m less viewers than it had two years ago, you mean? :rolleyes:
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if New Year Live will get a good peak tonight? :)

Also Channel 4 needs new people in charge, The best programs on Channel 4 this year have been in bad slots:(
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    ITV3's showbiz slot FYI reported on Ashley joining DOI. "Can she do for DOI what Nicole did for X Factor? they asked. What, help it attract 7m less viewers than it had two years ago, you mean? :rolleyes:

If she did that Dancing on Ice wouldn't have any viewers left. :D To be fair, not many shows could lose 7m viewers in two years and still, on paper without any backstory, rate well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw a trailer of Challenge just now for the new series of Got To Dance on Sky One. I forget about this A relatively new reality show that was a hit albeit that it doesn't need very many viewers on Sky to do that.

One of its judges is Kimberley Wyatt. We've got Nicole Scherzinger on X Factor and now Ashley Roberts as a judge on DOI (:confused:). There's a real invasion of pussycats on British television these days.

I don't think that celeb news report should be on ITV3 and ITV4 because no-one is interested outside the ITV2 audience;)
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Worst Channel: C4 - not that long ago at pretty much any point in the schedule you could rely on C4 to offer an entertaining alternative to what was on offer elsewhere, but under current management it's not even worth looking at the schedules.

Agreed. Unless something changes, C4 will continue to drop.
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    What could be interesting (maybe) would be a category

2012 : Shows killed by bad scheduling.

I have to agree. Whilst we have seen some very good shows, others were hidden amongst piles of crap!
    Also Channel 4 needs new people in charge, The best programs on Channel 4 this year have been in bad slots:(

If Jay Hunt and George Dixon are still at C4 this time next year, I will be gobsmacked! Having said that if C4 have made a miraculous recovery, ratings wise, I will be amazed.

There are some good things for C4 in the new year. One Born Every Minute, C4 Racing, Grand Designs etc... Will be interesting to see how many shows are burned out, with Location, Location, Location looking like it could be on for 3 series in 2013.

Happy new year to everyone on the Forum! Hope you all have a very happy and healthy 2013. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A example for Channel 4 could be that Last Leg program that was better then the Big Fat Quiz Of The Year on before it, It was on a silly time-slot of 23:05 but it looked liked a program Channel 4 should be doing: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-last-leg-of-the-year/4od :(
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe how low Channel 4 have slumped in recent years.
    I'd now say that Channel 5 are the better channel.

Channel 4 now seems to be about daytime type shows like house hunting, house renovation, and cooking shows....in primetime. And now they've got Gok Wan presenting any of them whatever the genre is.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that Channel 5 have held up quite well this Christmas with programmes rating over 1m, I think they should think of maybe investing a bit more at Christmas in order to take on BBC Two and Channel 4 but it's an improvement on previous years.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, having enlightened the thread with that pearl of wisdom, does anyone fancy a little Christmas quiz and a guess at my Great Christmas Confession of 2012?
    You were once on an ITV show? :)
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 now seems to be about daytime type shows like house hunting, house renovation, and cooking shows....in primetime.

Now????????
    Were you in a coma for the 90's and noughties. Location, Location location, Property Ladder, A place in the Sun, Grand Designs, Sarah Beeney, Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson aren't recent inventions.
    C4 has been dominated by Lifestyle shows for ages. I actually think that they've less 'home' shows now than they did 10 years ago.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you to everyone on this thread who take the time and effort to post the ratings and their thoughts, making it the best thread on DS in my opinion :)

Hope you feel better soon DMN!

What's your Christmas confession Robbie? - very intriguing :)

I wish everyone who posts on this thread and also those who lurk a very happy New Year. I hope 2013 is a great year for us all :)
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oopss
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D [highlight]HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE[/highlight] :D
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year, one and all! :)
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Worst Channel: C4 - not that long ago at pretty much any point in the schedule you could rely on C4 to offer an entertaining alternative to what was on offer elsewhere, but under current management it's not even worth looking at the schedules.

Happy New Year everyone. :)

And I pretty much agree with everything in this post. Channel 4 lacks direction and it shows painfully in its schedules. It's a scheduling mish-mash and it's dreadful. Personally, I think it needs a few more returnable dramas, build its sports coverage reputation and get a few more rights (after the Athletics World Championships shocker in 2011) and it needs a juggernaut in the schedule to hold up primetime. F1 was a big opportunity missed. A new look wouldn't go amiss because Channel 4 has had the same idents since late 2004, so 8 years. C4 needs one hell of an overhaul because the whole schedule looks so dry and so many shows on C4 have been milked to death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot about this when I posted my list. I'm sorry, but this was a really, really bad idea and an indication of why ITV are struggling to find new LE hits.

I think it had a lot of potential but the execution was very poor.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year everyone! I've enjoyed agreeing and disagreeing with you. Here's to more of the same in 2013!
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy New Year, read the thread nearly every day and dipped in and out of posting.

Love this little corner of the web, such an amazing community! :)
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year everyone - can't quite get as excited about 2013 as I was about the arrival 2012!
    Happy New Year everyone. :)

And I pretty much agree with everything in this post. Channel 4 lacks direction and it shows painfully in its schedules. It's a scheduling mish-mash and it's dreadful. Personally, I think it needs a few more returnable dramas, build its sports coverage reputation and get a few more rights (after the Athletics World Championships shocker in 2011) and it needs a juggernaut in the schedule to hold up primetime. F1 was a big opportunity missed. A new look wouldn't go amiss because Channel 4 has had the same idents since late 2004, so 8 years. C4 needs one hell of an overhaul because the whole schedule looks so dry and so many shows on C4 have been milked to death.
    F1 was a lucky escape - yes, it would rate well but they'd have got flack for the ads in races as ITV did, they'd have probably ended up with a similar split rights agreement with Sky and it would have swallowed up a good 10% of C4's budget, and C4 can't afford to be lining Bernie Ecclestones budgets. C4 need to be looking towards the cheaper end of the sports market (the racing is £5m a year for 88 days - about £25k an hour - F1 would be at least 20 times that price) where there is actually an opportunity to make a name for themselves. BTW, not sure if it's been mentioned here but they've flogged the 2013 World Athletics Champs back to the BBC.

I don't think C4 really needs new idents - their current set is still amongst the best on TV and their original set lasted 14 years. They could probably get away with keeping the idents and just refreshing the remaining presentation, but C4 does kind of need to relaunch itself and find a way back to former glories. In a way the ghost of Jady Goody still lingers as in the wake of the race row rather than drawing a line and moving on they just went too far down the PSB line at the expense of the entertainment side of the channel which has been just as important from the offset - and now six years on we seem to be left with a channel which doesn't offer the popular alternative drama and entertainment or any worthy PSB content at all - even C4 News feels like a shadow of it's former self.
    A example for Channel 4 could be that Last Leg program that was better then the Big Fat Quiz Of The Year on before it, It was on a silly time-slot of 23:05 but it looked liked a program Channel 4 should be doing: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-last-leg-of-the-year/4od :(
    I disagree actually - 11pm feels a much more appropriate slot for that sort of show than the 9.30pm slot the main series will air in from mid-January, and actually that wasn't a bad rating at all for 11pm - but similar figures at 9.30pm and it'll be a flop.

It's hard to know where to start with getting C4 back on track but one thing they do need to do is put the effort in where both the BBC and ITV are weak, and 10pm-midnight would be one slot I'd target, especially now afternoons are a much more competitive market.
This discussion has been closed.