Does anyone prefer the old Christopher Reeve 'Superman' films to the modern ones?

Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I see that the original Superman movie with Christopher Reeve is on later.I know that the fx are not really that special,especially compared to what they have now.I remember the tagline at the time...'You'll believe a man can fly!' Well,not exactly.In fact not at all.But I definitely prefer the Christopher Reeve Superman films to the recent crop.I think the reason being that the characters were absolutely perfectly written for a comic book brought to life.Christopher Reeve was the best Superman by a country mile.And Gene Hackman kicked Kevin Spacey's ass into another galaxy in regards to playing the manic Lex Luthor.I can't remember who has played Lois Lane in any of the new ones,because they were all so instantly forgettable.Margot Kidder's Lois Lane was the perfect portrayal of ambitious and determined Girl power.

The characters back then seemed just as how I imagined them to be when I was reading Superman comics as a boy.The characters now don't have any kind of sense of humour.Perhaps the comic books are the same way now,if they still write them.I haven't read any comics for thirty something years so I wouldn't really know.

The modern films are way better for special effects,but as to the original question.Do you prefer the Christopher Reeve films,with laughable effects but perfect comic casting? Or do you like a zillion CGI effects,but dull characters?

Comments

• CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can forgive dodgy effects for a good cast and plot. Can't forgive the other way around.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditto.

I didn't mind MoS. And it's good to get a reboot. But I really missed the screwball comedy banter between Kidder and Reeve, which I think they desperately need in the next film. It gives the films heart.
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the original Superman with Christopher Reeve will never be beaten, his portrayal of Clark and Superman is so much better than all the others. I think the special effects also look pretty good for their time.
  • adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cant beat the Chris Reeve films. Regardles of how bad the films where which was only 3 and 4 there was a special charm to them. Plus Chris Reeve really bought that character to life.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only Superman film (or tv series) I really like is Superman 2 (1980), and that's mainly down to General Zod's antics.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Reeve is far and away the best Clark Kent/Superman. The first Superman film is terrific, but it was diminishing returns there on in, Reeve's will always still be the greatest Superman though.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Chris Reeve is far and away the best Clark Kent/Superman. The first Superman film is terrific, but it was diminishing returns there on in, Reeve's will always still be the greatest Superman though.

Indeed he will. I have been happy with pretty much anyone in the Batman role (except Clooney) but Superman for me will never be anyone else's role but Reeve's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i love CR Superman films..the first one is one today later on :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Indeed he will. I have been happy with pretty much anyone in the Batman role (except Clooney) but Superman for me will never be anyone else's role but Reeve's.

I dunno. I'm a massive fan of Reeve's, but I don't think the character begins and ends with his performance personally. The 70's Superman will always hold a special place for me. I grew up with it as a kid and was never less than awed by it. But I thought Man Of Steel was absolutely awesome, and Cavill owned the part easily as much as Reeve did.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, got a disagree with most of what everyone has written here. I just don't feel the Reeves versions hold up simply for the fact that they are too comic booky and are slaves to their time. Also, often what's good on a page just doesn't translate to film because it would be too campy.

The Reeves versions are great for their time but "Man of Steel" is much more realistic.

In real life, the world wouldn't accept an alien protecting their planet, at least not right away - they would be suspicious and scared out of their minds.

In real life, Clark would feel alone and cut off about hiding who he is his entire life. He wouldn't be all "I'm Captain Awesome!" all the time.

In real life, Lois Lane would know that Superman is Clark right away. I mean, she's sleeping with the man.

In real life, Clark can't save absolutely everyone and be in 3 different places at once while a bunch of super-powered aliens attempt to destroy the planet.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Yes

Superman II for instance is superb. That's the definitive Superman movie for me. Even a crap film like Superman III still had awesome bits in it like Clark vs Evil Superman.

Reeve was THE Superman. No one will ever be better.

The man was brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Wow, got a disagree with most of what everyone has written here. I just don't feel the Reeves versions hold up simply for the fact that they are too comic booky and are slaves to their time. Also, often what's good on a page just doesn't translate to film because it would be too campy.

The Reeves versions are great for their time but "Man of Steel" is much more realistic.

In real life, the world wouldn't accept an alien protecting their planet, at least not right away - they would be suspicious and scared out of their minds.

In real life, Clark would feel alone and cut off about hiding who he is his entire life. He wouldn't be all "I'm Captain Awesome!" all the time.

In real life, Lois Lane would know that Superman is Clark right away. I mean, she's sleeping with the man.

In real life, Clark can't save absolutely everyone and be in 3 different places at once while a bunch of super-powered aliens attempt to destroy the planet.

It's hard to believe you have used the phrase "in real life" so many times in a post about an alien superhero.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never liked Superman.

I had always assumed it was because of Christopher Reeve (whom I still don't rate highly). Having seen Man of Steel, I realised I'm basically indifferent to Superman itself.

Having said that, I liked Man of Steel a little more than Superman.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a generation thing probably, but the first two Superman films seemed massive! The first one was talked about on the TV constantly at the time and even the Queen went to the premier. It was the first film I saw on VHS. Reeves will always be Superman to me.
  • Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christopher Reeve will always be Superman to me, but I also thought Man of Steel (and Henry Cavill) was terrific.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the reeve films (first 2 anyway) had such charm. character with a few fx. now it's the other way round

and margot kidder was brilliant; sharp, clever and vulnerable.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Superman The Movie is still the best Superman film ever made, and most of that is down to how terrific Christopher Reeve is in the part. It's completely conceivable that people don't twig that Clark and Superman are the same person. Reeve makes them two distinct characters. Even the way he stands emphasises it.

Superman 2 is also good (but not as good), and 3 is poor. 4 is abysmal.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Cavill was good in the role I think but the film as a whole did seem very good to me.

Reeve to me was a bit of a superman off screen too, his battles post paralysis to get movement back were quite amazing. I guess that influences me too to hold his Superman films in such high regard.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    It's a generation thing probably, but the first two Superman films seemed massive! The first one was talked about on the TV constantly at the time and even the Queen went to the premier. It was the first film I saw on VHS. Reeves will always be Superman to me.

It was an insane period. Newspapers were all about the UK's "mania" for Grease, Star Wars, Superman, Saturday Night Fever and Elvis (with Kurt Russell as Elvis). And Bruce Lee, of course.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    It's hard to believe you have used the phrase "in real life" so many times in a post about an alien superhero.

I actually believe in life on other planets so feel completely comfortable saying "in real life"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually believe in life on other planets so feel completely comfortable saying "in real life"

Life on other planets is very probable, the idea that said life would bear any resemblance to humans only with super powers is practically a scientific impossibility.

Anyway, this thread isn't even about how realistic said films are, it's about how well someone played the role, so it's a moot point.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Yes. Superman The Movie is still the best Superman film ever made, and most of that is down to how terrific Christopher Reeve is in the part. It's completely conceivable that people don't twig that Clark and Superman are the same person. Reeve makes them two distinct characters. Even the way he stands emphasises it.

Superman 2 is also good (but not as good), and 3 is poor. 4 is abysmal.
    ^This^

CR is the best screen Superman hands-down, with genuine charm, authority, humour and charisma. Strangely, I have a bit of a soft spot for Tom Welling in Smallville, too - he couldn't carry the drama, but got the naivity of the role just right...
  • hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think the CR films appealed to a wider audience. The new one was ok but the last half an hour bored me to tears. Personally I don't get off on non-stop fight scenes and visual effects. The CR films had a good mix and I loved the campness of them (& also Richard Pryor in whichever one he was in which is also the one that still gives me the creeps when the woman turns into the machine!)
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't beat it, perfectly combined the fantasy of Superman into a real world setting. Even with all the comedic touches Gene Hackman had more menace in him than the new Zod. I saw it when it first came out, along with Star Wars this was the great standout film of the era, a great childhood memory.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Are you sure about this? Surely a super-orgasm would blow Lois Lane's head off.:eek: