Samsung Galaxy S2 gets Jelly Bean - at last

JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
Forum Member
✭✭
The update was downloaded overnight to my phone. I installed it this morning and so far everything seems ok.

This update was a long time coming!

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    its been out for months for most people. what network are you on?
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happened with my S3 the sim free phones were the last to get it for some reason.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    its been out for months for most people. what network are you on?
    Vodafone. Sure that's the S2 you're talking about? Does the network have anything to do with it?

Edit: there's a similar discussion going on here.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still nothing on the note
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only started the update to JB for the S2 this month in the UK.
    http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S2/Jelly-BeanFirmware-Upgrade/td-p/1390704/page/9
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again it looks like the unlocked version of the phone will be near enough last to get the update. This happened last time when ICS came out. Not only that but the likes of Iraq also got the update before the UK.
  • ComedykevComedykev Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still nothing on the note

Anyone know when the Note 2 gets this on 3?
    Regards
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedykev wrote: »
    Regards

The Note II already has it.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    My colleague is on three and we checked on Friday but nothing for his s2 yet.
  • tosha43tosha43 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Comedykev wrote: »
    Regards

Got it on my note about 3 weeks ago, and I'm on 3
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had it for a while, its a really battery hog though so I went back to ICS
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The predictive text is a vast improvement: it makes a good guess at the next word you want (see below) and more importantly, it doesn't automatically substitute what it thinks you ought to have typed unless you actually click on the suggestion.

(Re guessing: I was texting my son about The Lady Vanishes (on TV tonight), and after I typed Lady it suggested Gaga as the next word :D)
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Again it looks like the unlocked version of the phone will be near enough last to get the update. This happened last time when ICS came out. Not only that but the likes of Iraq also got the update before the UK.

Yes the updates for Android are appalling. Even Microsoft learned for the embarrassment that was Windows Mobile regarding updates (what updates I hear you say?!).

Its a sorry state of affairs and yes Unlocked phones should be first to get updates and none of this pandering to network operators nonsense :mad:

Apple iOS still lead the way with regards updates with Microsoft's Windows Phone second and Google Android trailing last.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing on the Note (1) still. Have a SIM free version and, I read it was due 15 March. So much for SIM free models getting updates sooner than the networks locked ones...
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife had a prompt to download over the air on her S2 but the wireless is not working properly at home at the moment so will back it up using Kies on my PC first before doing it on there.

I was wondering if people who have done the upgrade if they did a factory reset after upgrading or if it worked all ok without it?

Also is it a lot faster than the previous version?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife had a prompt to download over the air on her S2 but the wireless is not working properly at home at the moment so will back it up using Kies on my PC first before doing it on there.

I was wondering if people who have done the upgrade if they did a factory reset after upgrading or if it worked all ok without it?

Also is it a lot faster than the previous version?

There's a few comments about battery issues on the Vodafone forum. Would be interested in how people updated it. Personally I would think doing a clean install ie factory reset before installing JB would be the best idea as I remember people having trouble with ICS.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    Nothing on the Note (1) still. Have a SIM free version and, I read it was due 15 March. So much for SIM free models getting updates sooner than the networks locked ones...

I have an unlocked version and nothing here either :cry: I had my first note replaced under insurance on Wednesday and managed to get another unlocked one:mad:
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brothers unlocked note still doesn't have JB
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the updates for Android are appalling. Even Microsoft learned for the embarrassment that was Windows Mobile regarding updates (what updates I hear you say?!).

Its a sorry state of affairs and yes Unlocked phones should be first to get updates and none of this pandering to network operators nonsense :mad:

Apple iOS still lead the way with regards updates with Microsoft's Windows Phone second and Google Android trailing last.
    Google Android phones do get updated quickly. That's because the only phones to qualify as Google Android are the Nexus class devices. The S2 is a Touchwiz device. And HTC make Sense devices and so on for LG and Sony. Blame the manufacturers for wanting to 'differentiate'. As far as I am concerned every manufacturers skin is an abomination.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

Not quite accurate. Google Android updates are regular and prompt, as Nexus owners will tell you.

Its the skinned versions released by the handset manufacturer and coupled with the carriers customisations that are delayed. Certainly not a Google fault.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    daclick wrote: »
    My brothers unlocked note still doesn't have JB

Unlocked British Notes can quite happily run on official Dutch LSZ firmware downloaded from the Sammobile website. Use Odin to install without rooting or invalidating warranty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Unlocked British Notes can quite happily run on official Dutch LSZ firmware downloaded from the Sammobile website. Use Odin to install without rooting or invalidating warranty.

Can I just add a slight word of warning to this. Use of Odin does invalidate your warranty BUT Samsung have no way of knowing that you have used it. So in the unlikely event of your phone bricking when using Odin then all you have to say is that it happened using Kies. Odin is a pretty good program, I used it when putting my Note back to factory default before giving it to Mrs finbaar. I would quite happily flash the Dutch firmware but my life would be a bit difficult if it went wrong – she can wait for the OTA, not that she cares anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Not quite accurate. Google Android updates are regular and prompt, as Nexus owners will tell you.

Its the skinned versions released by the handset manufacturer and coupled with the carriers customisations that are delayed. Certainly not a Google fault.

Google need to be more firm with manufactures instead of turning a blind eye. Microsoft managed it with a diverse amount of manufactures and they tell them to do updates. Theres no excuse for it.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Can I just add a slight word of warning to this. Use of Odin does invalidate your warranty BUT Samsung have no way of knowing that you have used it. So in the unlikely event of your phone bricking when using Odin then all you have to say is that it happened using Kies. Odin is a pretty good program, I used it when putting my Note back to factory default before giving it to Mrs finbaar. I would quite happily flash the Dutch firmware but my life would be a bit difficult if it went wrong – she can wait for the OTA, not that she cares anyway.

There is a flash count, which does tell you how many times a device has been flashed. Although this is easily reset.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google need to be more firm with manufactures instead of turning a blind eye. Microsoft managed it with a diverse amount of manufactures and they tell them to do updates. Theres no excuse for it.

But that is not the open source way. MS can do that because WP8 is closed and the manufacturers pay a licence for each install and the license will include control over updates.

As much as I am an AOSP fan the iterations provided by the OEMs have helped make Android THE premium mobile OS. So there is good with the bad. The pace of innovation is much slower in closed systems.