A Field In England

Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ben Wheatley's new film 'A Field In England' is showing in cinemas from next Friday. It is also being released on DVD, Blu-ray and VoD the same day.

However there's a screening of this film on Film4 later that evening! I'm wondering if this is a first for a film to be released in the cinema and premiered on tv the same day?

Wheatley, as you may be aware of, is the director of two recent British critical hits, 'Kill List' and 'Sightseers'. HIs debut 'Down Terrace' was not bad either!

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I know Ive been looking forward to this since it was announced that it was going to be shown on Film 4 as Ive enjoyed both Kill List and Sightseers!

I can't think of another film that has been released in the cinema,DVD,VOD and Film 4 on the same day!
  • Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may like to add that both 'Down Terrace' and 'Kill List' are also being shown on Film4 on Wednesday and Thursday respectively.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I'm watching it on Film4, enjoyed the overrated Kill List somewhat but didn't think much of Sightseers.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe it's a first.:cool: I'll be watching it.
    Loved Kill List.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I'll be tuning in too.

Thing is, I haven't liked anything Wheatley has done yet, but he obviously has talent.

Perhaps this will be the one where it all clicks into place, and it certainly looks interesting.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be watching as I've enjoyed his last three movies but this looks more arty farty, possibly just cause it's in B+W, but i've a feeling it wont be as enjoyable.

Then again, I may just be talking shite!
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Just heard about this. Interesting! Have any other countries, especially the big film producing ones like America and France done this? Imagine if Sky Movies could offer a cinema release or two every week. Would that get a lot more sign ups on satellite and cable? Would subs be higher? Could the film studios make a profit out of it? Would it hard the cinemas? Very interesting!!
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I was pretty disappointed by that.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be a first for all the various types of releases/screenings to happen on the same day, although it wouldn't be first time a 'proper' film has been on TV before being shown in cinemas and/or released on video.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this and first I thought they were all dead and in hell or limbo. Then with the mushrooms and all the psychedelia I wondered if it was all in someone's head. I didn't like all the screaming from the tent (what was that all about) or the violence. It was beautifully shot and the acting good - whatever they were doing.

In the 17th century apparently people ground magic mushrooms into dust and blew it into the faces of people to create 'magic'. So what with this, the long hair, platform boots and foppish styles a kind of forerunner to the 1960s and 70s then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ****ing arty farty shite!

What a stinker!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a stinker!

Yep - that was my first thought but I stuck with it to the bitter end to see if it was less confusing - it wasn't. Not a film I'd ever want to see again - I suppose it was clever in it's own way but.........:rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member

What a stinker!
    Perhaps hamsters are more to your taste.

I rather liked it.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm normally quite tolerant of arty farty sh!te, but that was the biggest load of b0ll0cks I've seen in a very long time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said earlier in the thread, I liked his last three films but this was just rubbish and up it's own arse!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did it have a message?: if you go through hell and bad times you come out of it a better person because you've had to actually DO something against the adversary - the cowardly alchemist's assistant fought back and became brave at the end and it was better for his two companions who remained - the Irishman and the other one weren't there at the end. Thinks :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the moral is you've got to fight for what you want, for all that you believe. It's right to fight for what we want, to live the way we please. As long as we have done our best, then no-one can do more, and life and love and happiness are well worth fighting for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think the treasure stood for the soul - the Irishman said to the alchemist's assistant that he was just an envelope. At the bottom of the hole in the field was a skull where the treasure should have been.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the message is that Ben Wheatley is either taking the piss or has a life dominated by acid flashbacks.

Down Terrace was quite good in a Mike Leigh kind of way, but Kill List started out as quite a promising film that was ruined by a ludicrous ending.

I haven't yet seen Sightseers and had been looking forward to it, but now I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I think the message is that Ben Wheatley is either taking the piss or has a life dominated by acid flashbacks.

Down Terrace was quite good in a Mike Leigh kind of way, but Kill List started out as quite a promising film that was ruined by a ludicrous ending.

I haven't yet seen Sightseers and had been looking forward to it, but now I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with.

I feel the same as you about Kill List but I really recommend Sightseers, it's very funny
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think Ben Wheatley needs someone who can write a script and bring his ideas visually into the story, oh and less riffing on references to other films
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Field in England was definitely unsettling and horrific whatever - it'll stay in my mind for a long time even if I never watch it again. It had the same effect on me as the original Whicker Man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one?

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/whicker.jpg

No wonder!

goldberry1 wrote: »
    Field in England was definitely unsettling and horrific whatever - it'll stay in my mind for a long time even if I never watch it again. It had the same effect on me as the original Whicker Man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:):):):)

You're too sharp for your own good Fred E! :);)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen Down Terrace, but saw Kill List (disappointing ending), Sightseers (great premise, good performances, disappointing ending), and A Field In England.

I thought it was brave filmmaking, but ultimately it doesn't work. It tries to be too clever, and the disjointed narrative doesn't make up for it's failings.

A good cast, lovely photography, but a bad script.