Forum Member
Seems to have been a bit of a non event

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Seems to have been a bit of a non event

Well it's a developers' conference.

I don't know what they've announced at these things before but it's not really a PR exercise.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with these things is despite the world's media being in attendance, they are geared to developers. It's nearly always about APIs and software enhancements, so to consumers they're often a let down.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google i/o is a developers conference. From the blogs I have read the developers seemed pretty stoked by the keynote.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some were hoping for possible updates to the Nexus 7 (and maybe nexus 4), afterall, they are considered developers hardware.

They have also announced some products (music streaming) and lots of low level stuff.

The one which might effect people immediately is the update to google maps to include vector graphics (good) and localised ads (bad).
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on if they had announced anything big in previous years. If yes, expectations are legitimate. If not it's just media creating false ones.
  • huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Depends on if they had announced anything big in previous years. If yes, expectations are legitimate. If not it's just media creating false ones.

Historically, most new versions of Android are announced at I/O, expectations were 4.3 or possibly 5 were going to be announced. Unfortunately this does not appear to be the case - hence some of the disappointment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did announce some decent stuff though. An update to Google Maps, the music streaming service, cloud syncing, and a focus on tablet-optimised apps.

I think they're a bit behind with Key Lime Pie which is why it wasn't unveiled at I/O, but I expect it'll be announced before long.

Oh, the Hangouts app is appalling though. Tried it last night with a friend. He's on Android and I'm on iOS. We both agreed that it wasn't a pleasant experience.
  • Trevor_MaloneTrevor_Malone Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Google are too busy trying hide the fact they have allegedly scammed the UK out of 100's of millions in tax to worry about promoting Android. Anyone watch the Google Vice President squirming on Sky news?

I wonder if Android will face a public back lash like Starbucks did and people start to boycott it. Due to the fact they have potentially cost the UK 100's of jobs.
    Forum Member
    Google are too busy trying hide the fact they have allegedly scammed the UK out of 100's of millions in tax to worry about promoting Android. Anyone watch the Google Vice President squirming on Sky news?

I wonder if Android will face a public back lash like Starbucks did and people start to boycott it. Due to the fact they have potentially cost the UK 100's of jobs.

Do you think the google i/o was changed because of the tax situation in the UK?

Because i do not think that is the case. I also think it's probably not the devs that deal with the tax. even at google.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they will hold a separate event for the next nexus 7 and next version of android for the wider press. The nexus 7 was probably the best ever selling nexus and is great value for money and had mass appeal so I think they will have a bigger push for the next one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Hugh_.
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    Hi Hugh_.

You're not wrong. good spot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ability for Google to push updates to core services and frameworks from the Play Store rather than via an OS update is very exciting. Much more exciting than a white N3 or a N7 with a HD screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    You're not wrong. good spot.

Elementary my dear flagpole. The catamite in question telegraphs his presence by the use of the underscore. That and the typical trollish language.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a major point is being missed here. What Google essentially did was tackle Android "fragmentation" head on at this I/O.

All the features announced should have realistically meant Android 4.3. They updated all the main areas of the OS, Google Play, a slew of new cutting edge APIs, update to Google Now, Google+, Maps, Google Play and more, all without introducing a new version and creating any more confusion.

The most interesting part of this of course was Samsung joining AOSP. Sony is already a part of it and I really think there's more to come there, I think the update situation is going to change a lot.

I do think that an updated Nexus 7 and 32GB Nexus 4 exist, but they've obviously held them back for a later announcement, these devices are nearly always launched alongside a new Android version.

In the past, Google was updating Android very quickly, 2/3 times a year, which created a fragmented landscape. By not announcing any new Android version at I/O they are effectively curbing the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if they switched to a 1 year release cycle for Android now.

A lack of hardware was the only disappointment, but Google never promised any hardware at I/O, Sundar even said that there would not be many major product announcements. What Google have been working clearly isn't ready yet/delayed. But they have definitely been working on something and I do think that there will be a major hardware announcement somewhere down the line along with the next version of Android.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of shiny software goodness. Just the Google + changes are impressive enough IMHO.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did announce some decent stuff though. An update to Google Maps, the music streaming service

I would imagine, if previous experience with such services is anything to go by that the music streaming service will be a long time coming to the UK because of the licensing problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What you may have missed is the lady from HMRC telling the MPs to stop talking S&!* and change the law (you know what they are responsible for) if they have such as problem with the tax system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think a major point is being missed here. What Google essentially did was tackle Android "fragmentation" head on at this I/O.

The release cycle was changed in Google I/O 2012 :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    What you may have missed is the lady from HMRC telling the MPs to stop talking S&!* and change the law (you know what they are responsible for) if they have such as problem with the tax system.

Your right. It is a shame companies ignore their moral obligations so the best way to deal with it is to change the laws.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    The release cycle was changed in Google I/O 2012 :confused:

Google might be in control of the release cycle, but fragmentation is out of their hands. In the O2 shop today there was a group of samsung and Sony phones running gb, ics and JB.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Google might be in control of the release cycle, but fragmentation is out of their hands. In the O2 shop today there was a group of samsung and Sony phones running gb, ics and JB.

I've not seen any device running 2.3 released this year by Samsung or Sony? Which device was this?
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a damp squib at all. The stuff they announced around Maps was superb, Google+ redesign is excellent and their new photo tools look very exciting.

IO rarely announces hardware - broken by the N7 last year - and given the N4 has only been out for months, I never believed there'd be an update. The only odd thing was lack of Android bump, and 4.3 has certainly been seen in the wild. So I suspect something has delayed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I've not seen any device running 2.3 released this year by Samsung or Sony? Which device was this?

Why do you think it needs to be released this year. I said phones on sale.

It was the galaxy ace 2, the very phone next to me right now.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people expect to much.