Urban Legend (1998) - Anybody else think this was vastly underrated?

SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think it's a shame that the reviews for this weren't better. But, all slasher movies released around that time were bound to be unkindly compared to Scream.

Personally, I prefer Urban Legend. I think it's creepier, and I much preferred the killer reveal. There are a lot of crappy slashers, but Urban Legend isn't one imo. :)

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The prank played in the lecture theatre was very amusing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a good idea done badly with a lazy predictable script and nothing in the way of scares worth mentioning.

Alicia Witt was quite good but the rest of the cast was woeful, it says something when the best actor is a bit part player.
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it and the beginning with Natasha Gregson was creepy.
    I've seen a load worse so not bad at all.:-D
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was lots of films that was reviewed by then that got poor ratings but when you watch them today it's like a Golden Age.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually never heard of this film. I'd watch if it's anything like The Faculty (ridiculous and entertaining).
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alicia Witt.....sigh.....
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it at the time, and thought it had a good overall tone to it. But Scream succeeded on so many other levels, that it was unrivalled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I actually never heard of this film. I'd watch if it's anything like The Faculty (ridiculous and entertaining).

It's not quite as ridiculous or entertaining as 'The Faculty', but I'd still give it a shot if you like that film.

I do think 'Urban Legend' is underrated to an extent, as I think it's one of the better post-'Scream' slashers of the late 90s/early 00s - I much prefer it to the likes of 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'. That said, it still doesn't hold a candle to 'Scream' or any of the best slashers of the 80s back when the style was at its peak.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked it and the beginning with Natasha Gregson was creepy.
    I've seen a load worse so not bad at all.:-D

When people first saw it they must have expected the petrol station guy to be a killer simply because he was played by Brad Dourif, star of the Childs Play films
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Scream is overrated, they try and make out the students are all clever with the rules to survive a horror movie but they end up being every bit as thick as the people in other horror movies.
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    PES 2009 wrote: »
    I think Scream is overrated, they try and make out the students are all clever with the rules to survive a horror movie but they end up being every bit as thick as the people in other horror movies.

Yes they do, but that is the whole point. It's irony. Sidney makes a comment about "the girl running up the stairs when she should be running out the door" literally a few minutes before she does exactly the same thing. The students *think* they're clever but, ultimately, it doesn't save them.

Urban Legend was one of the better slashers of the time. I bough it on blu-ray recently and watched it again and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The sequel was pretty terrible, though.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    embryo wrote: »
    It's not quite as ridiculous or entertaining as 'The Faculty', but I'd still give it a shot if you like that film.

I do think 'Urban Legend' is underrated to an extent, as I think it's one of the better post-'Scream' slashers of the late 90s/early 00s - I much prefer it to the likes of 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'. That said, it still doesn't hold a candle to 'Scream' or any of the best slashers of the 80s back when the style was at its peak.

Yes. Agree completely. I'd actually like more
    female killers.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Always had a thing for Alicia Witt.

It's a good movie. The sequel sucked though
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Urban Legend. It reminds me of high school.
  • babyshezbabyshez Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's great! Although I now can't listen to Total Eclipse of the Heart without being creeped out...
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this as had it recorded from a while ago and had never seen it before. I quite enjoyed it - had some good jumpy bits especially in the first half. I used to really fancy Jared Leto as well!
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I think it's rated about right. Atrocious,forgettable film. Tried to be "Scream" but failed miserably.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,148
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    When people first saw it they must have expected the petrol station guy to be a killer simply because he was played by Brad Dourif, star of the Childs Play films

Nah I thought it was him cos he was creepy had no idea who he was as I'd never even heard of Childs Play. I liked this film but have not seen it in years mostly I remember it as the film my video player kept eating I could watch other films and they were fine but put that video in and I would have to dismantle the damn thing. I don't think it liked it.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    babyshez wrote: »
    I think it's great! Although I now can't listen to Total Eclipse of the Heart without being creeped out...

Strangely (or shamefully) I have only just got the joke within the lyrics of that song. "turn around...." if she did turn around she'd have seen the killer lurking on the back seat!
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't as good as I know what you did last summer, but it is certainly not bad and worth a watch.