Countdown - so much better these days!

Comments

• valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed sometimes that when the numbers game comes up, Rachel seems to be chatting to somebody upstairs, are they helping with answers, perhaps computerised?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I know Susie was connected via earpiece to the production team upstairs so she gets a live feed. But I am not sure Rachel has an earpiece. Ever seen Susie tuck her hair behind her ears? Now you know why:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Who would you like to see host the new series of Countdown?

My top three suggestions are: Stephen Fry, Dave Spikey and David Mitchell.
  • OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pretty much anyone but Alan Carr or Gyles Brandreth would do me. Saying that, I just know that at first the new person will be given a bit of a bashing by me. And that is because I watched it with Richard Whiteley and whilst Stelling has been good, none of the new hosts have been a patch on Richard. I would rank the 3 since Richard as:

1. Jeff
    2. Des O' Connor
    3. Des Lynam
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure Fry and Mitchell are far too busy elsewhere, but if Fry were to find the time he'd have a job stopping himself lapsing into his Richard Whitely impersonation. A little of Spikey goes a long way; I couldn't take him day after day. What about finding someone up and coming for whom it would be a big break?
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    I think it will be Jo Brand, and she won't be able to resist the silly words she comes up with in Dictionary Corner. I can see the closing down party being arranged very soon.
    Forum Member
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    I'm sure Fry and Mitchell are far too busy elsewhere, but if Fry were to find the time he'd have a job stopping himself lapsing into his Richard Whitely impersonation. A little of Spikey goes a long way; I couldn't take him day after day. What about finding someone up and coming for whom it would be a big break?

I like the idea of giving someone new a big break, but I fear that the show might lose viewers if the new host is a complete unknown.

I sincerely hope it is not Jo Brand. That would seal Countdown's fate completely. The host needs to be a man (or at least if its a woman, there should be a man taking over from Rachel to keep the balance).

Someone in an earlier post said something about computerising the set. I think this would take so much away from the character of the show. The "old fashioned" (if I can use that phrase given that Countown and I are the same age) style of the show needs to be maintained.
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Rachel is replaced viewing figures will plummet!!! Did you see what she was wearing yesterday>?:o
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy with what she is wearing today.

She is such a fox.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    She's the best thing on TV.
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    I got a 9 letter word that they didn't pick up yesterday - simpleton
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Susie was connected via earpiece to the production team upstairs so she gets a live feed. But I am not sure Rachel has an earpiece. Ever seen Susie tuck her hair behind her ears? Now you know why:D

Wonder if she can tuck her ankles behind her ears?

I didn't say that out loud did I?
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Wonder if she can tuck her ankles behind her ears ?

What would the advantage of that be ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would the advantage of that be ?

Advantage in which context?
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »
    I think it will be Jo Brand, and she won't be able to resist the silly words she comes up with in Dictionary Corner. I can see the closing down party being arranged very soon.

Oh my gawd. Don't even think about it please :D:D

Any of the above would suit me OK. I read somewhere that a certain Mr Christopher Biggins was in the running. I wonder how he would fare ? I think he might be a good choice.
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Twitter:

C4Countdown Countdown
    Thanks to @drphilhammond for 5 fantastic shows in the can today as our DC guest. Brilliantly funny as always.
    Forum Member
    I read somewhere that a certain Mr Christopher Biggins was in the running. I wonder how he would fare ? I think he might be a good choice.

I got a letter in the post yesterday saying my audition was successful and I will be invited to come on the show in the near future. This means that my recording will be with the new host. I can't stand Biggins! Please don't let it be him! Anyone but him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a letter in the post yesterday saying my audition was successful and I will be invited to come on the show in the near future. This means that my recording will be with the new host. I can't stand Biggins! Please don't let it be him! Anyone but him!

Just be your luck that you have to share a dressing room with Rachel eh ?

Even admitting to being blind might swing it, anything is worth a try.
    Forum Member

Even admitting to being blind might swing it, anything is worth a try.

I sincerely doubt it - but we can all dream! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Heh. My glasses are steaming up.
  • MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone see the 8 out of 10 Cats episode where Sean Lock said he couldn't concentrate cos Rachel had a low cut top on. So funny!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Spikey looked and sounded bored today.
    Why take the gig if they can't enter into the spirit of the show ?

Just don't invite him back.
    Hopefully Doctor Phil will be on soon.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it had been a long filming session and after doing five shows in a row in one day he was just getting a little tired.

When I went to Countdown there were issues with cameras and they had to film into the evening and not just the afternoon.
    Forum Member
    Some days they film from 1:30 through to 9 or 10pm. Other days they start earlier and finish at 6pm. Quite reasonable working hours for a tv show I think.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rachel is the fairest maiden in all the land.
This discussion has been closed.