Stephen Poliakoff's Dancing on the Edge

Comments

• lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find this programme really boring and on the whole badly acted which is a shame because I so wanted to love it.

I really liked the actress who plays Pamela when she was in The Paradise, but dont like this character or the acting at all.

In fact I think that is what I dont like about the programme on the whole, I dont like any of the characters, I find them all so unlikeable.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    No longer watching the show or reading the thread, thought some who were might be interested.
    Swinging into the Blitz Culture show special today BBC2 18:00
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qxnq6
    When a handful of musical immigrants from the Caribbean islands came to Britain in the 1920s and 30s, it was the beginning of both musical and political change. Leslie Thompson, an innovative musician and trumpeter, and Ken 'Snakehips' Johnson, a brilliant dancer and charismatic band leader, pooled their talents to start the first black British swing band.

Clemency Burton-Hill reveals the untold story of the black British swing musicians of the 1930s, whose meteoric rise to fame on London's high society dance floors was cut short by unexpected tragedy at the height of the Blitz.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't a programme I would naturally be drawn to based on the previews. However, I was staying with my parents the night of the first programme and they wished to watch it, I was hooked from the start.

It maintains a level of intrigue and an undercurrent of menace which keeps you guessing, and no obvious plot twists (as yet). A great ensemble cast (Mel Smith, John Goodman, Caroline Quentin, Jacqueline Bisset, and Anthony Head, who would have dreamt up that combination?). Very rarely these days do I look forward to the next episode of a drama, but at the moment Monday evenings can not come around fast enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I am enjoying it very much..there are so many dodgy characters.. I hope there will be a big ending..I am constantly wondering who those strange ladies were outside the hospital..they sure looked creepy...If it had aired on BBC1 I think it would of had a bigger pull.
  • rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving this. It's not the sort of thing I usually watch but having originally only tuned in out of curiosity to see Angel Coulby I quickly found myself hooked. I find all the characters fascinating and I love the sense of unease which underlies the whole thing.

At the moment I have a feeling the plot may involve covert Nazi sympathisers among the main characters, but have no idea who as my suspicions change with each episode. And I could be barking up the wrong tree completely of course.That's the sign of a good drama, for me.

Hard to pick out a standout performance but I think Jacqueline Bisset and Tom Hughes have both been brilliantly convincing.

My only criticism would be that the music doesn't seem to fit the era too well, despite the songs being insanely catchy and Angel Coulby having a good voice. However, really looking forward to the rest of it. I hope the denouement doesn't disappoint.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    It may have started off slightly slow but it;s really built up now - somehow now looks like Julien is the evil kingpin. Can't wait to see how it pans out.
    Think the actor who plays Louie has been brilliant.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member
    I too am really enjoying it. No idea who has done the dastardly deed though. I still find Joanne Vanderham's Pamela a bit distracting though...I keep thinking of her as Denise!
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really interested to see how it all pans out, but I thought this episode was so predictable. I liked the other episodes, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's Pamela as she was jealous of Jessie and Julian. Pamela and Julian have a weird relationship and they seem to not be able to cope without each other. Therefore Pamela was jealous as she would be left alone with her parents whom she seems to hate. I haven't figured out how she did it but I think she did.
  • Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    alixfowler wrote: »
    I think it's Pamela as she was jealous of Jessie and Julian. Pamela and Julian have a weird relationship and they seem to not be able to cope without each other. Therefore Pamela was jealous as she would be left alone with her parents whom she seems to hate. I haven't figured out how she did it but I think she did.

i was thinking that after tonights episode , and she is a very strange character
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    You know what - it looks too short now. Anyone who missed tonight's missed the best one so far I think, and one episode more seems not enough.
  • rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything seems to point to Masterson as being behind the murder as he is trying to buy everyone's silence, but perhaps that would be a little too obvious now :confused: I think Donaldson is the shiftiest character now after tonight's episode. I've thought throughout that he's a little too good to be true and yet the scene at his house still made me gasp. I didn't see it coming.:o

I've gone from thinking Julian was a baddie to feeling very sorry for him. He's being manipulated. Both he and Pamela seem emotionally damaged, possibly by their unbearable parents.

It's a shame it ends next week but I'm dying to know the conclusion and whether there'll be a big twist.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think Masterson and Julian may be the bad ones but dont know. Masterson looks like he is buying everyone's silence. I dont blame Louis for not trusting anyone!
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying it, watched the first ep for Jenna-Louise Coleman but ended up sticking with it for the plot.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    You know what - it looks too short now. Anyone who missed tonight's missed the best one so far I think, and one episode more seems not enough.

I hope it is not going to be a 'rushed' ending as I am really enjoying this.

Found Louis waking up in the kitchen a bit weird :confused: hope that is explained.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I hope it is not going to be a 'rushed' ending as I am really enjoying this.

Found Louis waking up in the kitchen a bit weird :confused: hope that is explained.

Maybe he was drugged. A lot of time seemed to have passed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Maybe he was drugged. A lot of time seemed to have passed.

Weed muffins lol. I have watched a number of dramas recently which have had really dirty endings so I hope the murder and the persons reasons are all fully explained and not rushed. It is tricky though as we don't want them to reveal after 10 mins that x killed Jessie as that would be too soon but then I don't want them to get to 50 mins and they are just telling us
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    I did think drugged aswell. Was it that horrid child that kept staring at him as she made the cakes :confused::o:D

Most of the ITV dramas that I watched last year had such a disappointing ending, hope this is not another :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why Dancing on the Edge is receiving so many negative reviews and negative comments. I've just read a a review in Private Eye which was scathing, not only of the show itself but Poliakoff in general. I find the show a welcome change of pace. It's great to see a lush period drama which is character led and allows itself to develop slowly. The all accepting tone of the friends' gatherings in the third episode seemed too good to be true - but that made the shock of Jessie's death even greater. The prologue in each episode indicates the chumminess is all coming to an end soon. The music is fantastic. I bought the album: I've been playing it constantly. I hope we have more programmes like Dancing on the Edge- Well done Poliakoff and well done BBC2. And well done the Louis Lester Band.

I think a scathing review might be a little harsh mainly because the acting is quite good and the costumes/sets are gorgeous, which has been the main reason I've continued to watch. However, the story itself does lack something. I understand Stanley's motivation. He loves jazz music, wants to create the most popular music magazine in London and is using Louis' band to do it. I guess Louis' motivation is somewhat clear too. He wants to be a successful musician, but everyone seems to be there to serve the plot.

Though I thought Angel Coulby (Jesse) looked beautiful, I found it difficult to care about her character and therefore felt little when she was found attacked. I mean we know nothing about Jesse and thus her motivations. She's had all of two lines throughout the whole movie and now she's attacked and we're supposed to care? I didn't understand why most of the other characters were visiting her either and trying to coax her back to life like they were old friends, when we never saw those friendships. As someone asked up thread, what was the point of the incident at the German embassy? What was the point of Louis' manager being deported? What is the point of Stanley's boss bringing in a new writer and changing the layout of the magazine. Why are Masterson, Julian, Lady Cremone etc., even apart of the story? Why are these rich aristocrats so interested in a jazz band of color when they don't appear to be getting anything out of except good music? Perhaps all these questions will be addressed in the final episodes, but as it stands now they are only serving as mere plot points.

As I said before the acting is quite good which is what is keeping me engaged, but the story needs work.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I did think drugged aswell. Was it that horrid child that kept staring at him as she made the cakes :confused::o:D

Most of the ITV dramas that I watched last year had such a disappointing ending, hope this is not another :(

ITV? It's BBC Two :p
  • Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this drama. But who is that woman????????? Always at the front of the crowd, and in the photos too.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up last night. Too slow by miles.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    DE wrote: »
    I think a scathing review might be a little harsh mainly because the acting is quite good and the costumes/sets are gorgeous, which has been the main reason I've continued to watch. However, the story itself does lack something. I understand Stanley's motivation. He loves jazz music, wants to create the most popular music magazine in London and is using Louis' band to do it. I guess Louis' motivation is somewhat clear too. He wants to be a successful musician, but everyone seems to be there to serve the plot.

Though I thought Angel Coulby (Jesse) looked beautiful, I found it difficult to care about her character and therefore felt little when she was found attacked. I mean we know nothing about Jesse and thus her motivations. She's had all of two lines throughout the whole movie and now she's attacked and we're supposed to care? I didn't understand why most of the other characters were visiting her either and trying to coax her back to life like they were old friends, when we never saw those friendships. As someone asked up thread, what was the point of the incident at the German embassy? What was the point of Louis' manager being deported? What is the point of Stanley's boss bringing in a new writer and changing the layout of the magazine. Why are Masterson, Julian, Lady Cremone etc., even apart of the story? Why are these rich aristocrats so interested in a jazz band of color when they don't appear to be getting anything out of except good music? Perhaps all these questions will be addressed in the final episodes, but as it stands now they are only serving as mere plot points.

As I said before the acting is quite good which is what is keeping me engaged, but the story needs work.

Really well thought out and questioning many of the points I had noticed. Hopefully it will all be answered in the final episode but if it doesnt I will be annoyed as I thought the settings and acting were excellent and hate endings which leave cliff hangers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    It's just a more interesting experience than most telly drama. The entire sequence in the new office, with Louis going from room to room in the dark and overhearing all the promises about the new magazine, was great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV? It's BBC Two :p

Can't comment for the poster but I assume they mean there have been some rubbish endings to recent ITV dramas (so true like The Poison Tree or The Town) so he/she is hoping that a BBC ending will be different.

I apologise to the poster if that's not what you were getting at but that's how I translated it.