Boarding/fostering for cats long term

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi. I may be leaving the uk for a few years (2-3). It's not somewhere I can take my two cats with me but the thought of never seeing them again is killing me. Does anyone know of any long term boarding solutions? Or does anyone else think that's a bit of a silly idea and I should rehome them completely?

Comments

• CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered asking a friend or family member you trust to take them on in the short term?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Have you considered asking a friend or family member you trust to take them on in the short term?

Yes, but sadly no one is in a position too. Mum has a cat already and that would be pretty ugly! Best friend would be but she works abroad all week. Brother is allergic. Sadly, all those that would, can't. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just so worried that no one else will know them or love them just as much as I do. Stupid and soppy I know, but they're so precious to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duplicate
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may have to re home them completely, perhaps with some one who doesn't mind you visiting them a lot when you get home. Can I ask, where are you going ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    You may have to re home them completely, perhaps with some one who doesn't mind you visiting them a lot when you get home. Can I ask, where are you going ?

Saudi
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, would it be impossible to keep them as indoor cats there ?

You could try advertising locally & see if anyone's prepared to foster them for a couple of years , if you come to a financial arrangement with them , On the other hand would it be fair on your cats to have all those changes of ownership ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Oh dear, would it be impossible to keep them as indoor cats there ?

You could try advertising locally & see if anyone's prepared to foster them for a couple of years , if you come to a financial arrangement with them , On the other hand would it be fair on your cats to have all those changes of ownership ?

I don't think it would be possible. They're used to being outdoors as much as they want in British weather. Not kept indoors in a first floor apartment. I really don't agree with keeping cats indoors.

I think it wouldn't be fair to put them through changing ownership though. But the thought of not having them breaks my heart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Essentially, I know what I've got to do if we move. Just don't want to do it :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know orangebird *HUGS*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update - I'm taking them with me :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant news
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update - all jabs and microchipping done! We've got a detached villa on a compound with a walled garden, hubby already out there so all sorted! End of may, there we go! Although I have no doubt we'll all be indoors all day with the aircon :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    To start with I thought you were thinking of fostering like another fm then realized it was an old thread. Glad you are taking your wee ones with you. I hope they settle down well, they will prob hate the cold crappy British weather when you all come home again. Good luck. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update - myself and my cats relocated to saudi. And I'm telling anyone who may think of going anywhere, under developed/governed by religion/middle east-ish - don't ever ever ever take your cats there. It's so bloody appalling from a health/vet/disease and infection point of view that after spending over £2k to get them here, they're going back to the uk at Xmas for the same cost again.

It's a hell hole for cats in particular. Luckily I have two offers of friends/family now that will take my two until I return to the uk.

And I have to admit, even if I didn't have any offers, I'd rehome them in the uk rather than keep them here. Anyone who knows me knows that would break my heart but its better for them than staying here.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that orangebird but I am sure you are doing the best for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that orangebird but I am sure you are doing the best for them.

I really am doing it for them. It's disgusting here. I worry constantly about my boys getting sick (Im not allowed to drive so have to rely on taxi drivers that can't speak English although they pretend to...) and there is so much medicine that's licensed in the uk that's not available here, using 'Allah's wish' when deciding on treatment etc. and the stray cat issue here is phenomenal, beyond distressing and heartbreaking.

Bizarrely, many muslims consider it a sin to neuter cats, but not to neglect or abandon them - whether that's just kicking them out in the street or even driving out to the desert to dump them.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible and I am betting you are finding it hard to live with, so hurry home soon too.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    Update - myself and my cats relocated to saudi. And I'm telling anyone who may think of going anywhere, under developed/governed by religion/middle east-ish - don't ever ever ever take your cats there. It's so bloody appalling from a health/vet/disease and infection point of view that after spending over £2k to get them here, they're going back to the uk at Xmas for the same cost again.

It's a hell hole for cats in particular. Luckily I have two offers of friends/family now that will take my two until I return to the uk.

And I have to admit, even if I didn't have any offers, I'd rehome them in the uk rather than keep them here. Anyone who knows me knows that would break my heart but its better for them than staying here.

Cor what a roller coaster thread :eek: I admit I was a bit shocked at you taking them out there but understand your worries. No one can look after our pets like we do :)

So glad they are coming home. As much as I moan Britain seems to be best!
    Forum Member
    Orangebird, my heart goes out to you. What a horrible situation to find yourself in. I hope you can find a suitable (Foster) home for your wee ones so you can have them back safe and sound for when you do move back home. Good luck to all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Orangebird, my heart goes out to you. What a horrible situation to find yourself in. I hope you can find a suitable (Foster) home for your wee ones so you can have them back safe and sound for when you do move back home. Good luck to all!

I'm lucky enough to have a choice - another friend has offered and my mummy is now in a different situation so she can have them too :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Cor what a roller coaster thread :eek: I admit I was a bit shocked at you taking them out there but understand your worries. No one can look after our pets like we do :)

So glad they are coming home. As much as I moan Britain seems to be best!

I will never ever take our green and pleasant land for granted again. Just got back from a ten day visit and am now counting down til we go back (with the cats) at Xmas for a couple of weeks. Had a scare as one of my boys lost his meow a couple of days ago. The vet who has a tiny evening clinic on the compound here is very good though. I'm there every night with one stray or another and he's taught me a lot. I help him with his other patients if he needs it and take in sick strays if he asks me to - he calls me his 'cat angel'. He also is positive I'm going to paradise for all my efforts. I don't have the heart to tell him I'm atheist/borderline anti-Muslim, but the intention of his words is appreciated :)
    Forum Member
    I will never ever take our green and pleasant land for granted again. Just got back from a ten day visit and am now counting down til we go back (with the cats) at Xmas for a couple of weeks. Had a scare as one of my boys lost his meow a couple of days ago. The vet who has a tiny evening clinic on the compound here is very good though. I'm there every night with one stray or another and he's taught me a lot. I help him with his other patients if he needs it and take in sick strays if he asks me to - he calls me his 'cat angel'. He also is positive I'm going to paradise for all my efforts. I don't have the heart to tell him I'm atheist/borderline anti-Muslim, but the intention of his words is appreciated :)

You are a wonderful person for helping these poor wee strays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    You are a wonderful person for helping these poor wee strays.

It's hard, I cry every day. I've had 3 of my 'garden family' die of an awful virus in the past 3 weeks. I've got two inpatients in my spare room. Another 9 or 10 of the garden family - including 3 2 week old babies. There's always ringworm or sickness to deal with. On top of that I have my 2 uk cats and a saudi compound cat that we've adopted. So, 5 in the house and ten in the garden. Then there's about 7 cats that live outside the vets that I feed every night too. Trying to get them healthy and neutered is frankly like emptying the ocean with a teaspoon but I'm doing what I can. I'm a lucky lady that my husband is willing to support my rather hopeless crusade emotionally and financially....
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    It's hard, I cry every day. I've had 3 of my 'garden family' die of an awful virus in the past 3 weeks. I've got two inpatients in my spare room. Another 9 or 10 of the garden family - including 3 2 week old babies. There's always ringworm or sickness to deal with. On top of that I have my 2 uk cats and a saudi compound cat that we've adopted. So, 5 in the house and ten in the garden. Then there's about 7 cats that live outside the vets that I feed every night too. Trying to get them healthy and neutered is frankly like emptying the ocean with a teaspoon but I'm doing what I can. I'm a lucky lady that my husband is willing to support my rather hopeless crusade emotionally and financially....

Good grief, what an ordeal! Not much longer till Christmas now, and your two boys will be back in a much safer environment. When do you actually return for good?

By the way, for what it's worth, I think what you are doing out there for those poor cats, is just wonderful. :)