Jon Finch

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
Forum Member
A 10 day spell in hospital, has kept me in the dark about film matters ( Winners demise apart ) and I was shocked to read about the death of Mr Finch..
A very good actor I thought.

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the film "frenzy" springs to mind.

not sure what this film says about Hitchcock to be honest. it's as creepy as Peeping Tom, which finished Powell's career.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Has to be Polanski's Macbeth for me - my favourite filmed version of the play, and my favourite performance as the leading character. About time this had a Blu-ray release!

Frenzy was also phenomenal, of course, and he also had a small role in Vampire Lovers if I remember right. Although the less said about his turn in the Craig Fairbrass horror, Darklands, the better...
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Ah no!

Thats sad. I looked him up and apparently he died on December 28th.

No one rocked the tache and elbow padded combo like Finch did in Frenzy. Ex RAF too - one cool dude.

I often wonder what Alien wouldve been like if he didnt have diabetes.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn! I’ll dig out my copy of The Final Programme to watch in tribute.

RIP.
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Just realised something.

I watched the One Show Monday or Tuesday night and Bernard Cribbins was the main guest. They showed a clip of 'Frenzy' in the bar with Finch and Anne Massey and nobody even mentioned Finch had just passed.

Kinda sad that nobody realised isnt it?
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great actor - first saw him in Death On The Nile back in '78
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Damn! I’ll dig out my copy of The Final Programme to watch in tribute.

RIP.

love that movie .
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read his obituary in a recent edition of the "i"...it mentioned that he turned down the role of Doyle in the tv show The Professionals.

He also had to drop out of "Alien", due to illness. His part then went to John Hurt.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was also in a good TV SF series called "Counterstrike" but I think only bits of it survive. Some of it is on YouTube.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He was great as Jerry Cornelius even though the film missfired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had no idea that he died! I thought he was great in Macbeth, Frenzy and Death On the Nile, very handsome too
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always mixed up Jon Finch and Peter Finch. :o

RIP Jon Finch.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Such a shame. I only noticed this a while ago when I was looking at his IMDB page.

I do remember him as Macbeth - mainly having to watch it in school for English.

He was superb in 'Frenzy'. Sadly, that means that Anna Massey, Barry Foster and now Jon Finch are gone from there.