Advice on tablets for youngsters

sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,006
Forum Member
Hi, my sister is looking at getting a tablet for her twins, who will be seven soon - nothing too flashy like a Nexus 7, but something that will comfortably play youtube, going on the internet and playing simple games - without being cripplingly slow for internet-related stuff.

Any recommendations appreciated, preferably nearer £50 than £100 if that is realistic (As there are two of them).

Comments

• John259John259 Posts: 28,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO you won't get anything worth buying for £50.

Have a look at the Tesco Hudl. Good specs, good reviews, generally good comments here, very good value for money. If you've got any Clubcard vouchers they're worth double their face value off the price of a Hudl.
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Children should not be allowed to have tablets, or mobile phones for that matter. I never had that kind of technology at such a young age - they should just have handheld games consoles like the game boy.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Bowmani wrote: »
    Children should not be allowed to have tablets, or mobile phones for that matter. I never had that kind of technology at such a young age - they should just have handheld games consoles like the game boy.

Why's that then?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just go on Amazon, plenty of tablets for £50-£60, and look at the reviews.

I brought one earlier this year for about £55.00 a Tabtronics, no longer available though, and you know what it did a job, wasn't super fast, nor really slow either. Fine for watching you tube, playing games, reading e-books etc.. they are only young children as long as it does the basics for their needs, then don't worry about spending a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rather irrelevant, OP wasn't looking for that recommendation. If you can't recommend anything why bother to post, or is it just to get your prehistoric view across, that the OP isn't interested in.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,006
    Forum Member
    thank you all for your replies - and to some extent I appreciate where Bowmani is coming from... but they are encouraged at school to use the internet more and more to look for things, and this could help with that (as well as stop them all fighting over my laptop when they visit) :) They also love going on youtube and looking at videos of cats and dogs!

One of them had pointed out an Innotabs 'tablet' (one of the kiddy ones), but they look really limited toys, and would be discarded far too quickly... for better or worse, the kids are now used to using laptops, and so a toy would just be a waste of £25+
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Rather irrelevant, OP wasn't looking for that recommendation. If you can't recommend anything why bother to post, or is it just to get your prehistoric view across, that the OP isn't interested in.
    .. :D

The good old days when there was no internet and no forums :rolleyes:
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't have things at that age, so why should kids these days. Grrrr. Get off my lawn! Kids should be happy with a stick, a cardboard box and some crayons.

Not sure why a gameboy is acceptable but an Android tablet isn't. But doubt you can come up with any form of explanation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    .. :D

The good old days when there was no internet and no forums :rolleyes:

I Know, and I don't have a problem with their opinion. But this is in the tablet forum, not a general discussion forum. So they have come in here just to troll.

Besides that tablets are also great learning devices, after all schools use them, yes you can play games on them as well, but they are so much more than that, unlike a game boy as was suggested.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Know, and I don't have a problem with their opinion. But this is in the tablet forum, not a general discussion forum. So they have come in here just to troll.

Besides that tablets are also great learning devices, after all schools use them, yes you can play games on them as well, but they are so much more than that, unlike a game boy as was suggested.
    Indeed.

Does make you wonder if the poster has actually ever used one because either way (whether they've used one or not) their point was nonsensical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Indeed.

Does make you wonder if the poster has actually ever used one because either way (whether they've used one or not) their point was nonsensical.

Or even phones, especially nowadays as they seem to be more or less all smartphones, essentially a smaller version of a tablet (in some cases even the size of a tablet), with the added ability to make calls. I don't see a problem with kids having tablets, kids love tech, and really a tablet is several toys rolled into one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or even phones, especially nowadays as they seem to be more or less all smartphones, essentially a smaller version of a tablet (in some cases even the size of a tablet), with the added ability to make calls. I don't see a problem with kids having tablets, kids love tech, and really a tablet is several toys rolled into one.
    I agree and I'd go as far as to say that it is an essential bit of kit for any youngster these days because of it's educational benefits and because they are fun :)

I can honestly say that since getting my first tablet, I now almost exclusively use my iPhone for calls. Tablets are so versatile and the only thing I don't do on it because I find it rather fiddly, is word-processing.

There really is a tablet out there for everyone and I can see one in just about every single person's hands in this country before long ;)

For the same reasons as for the youngsters (ease of use etc) I think that older people would be able to adapt to them far more easily than eg laptops and their price-point makes them more accessible too.

I'm a huge tab fan as you've probably guessed :D
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why? Because they didn't even exist when you were a child? :confused:
  • BrayBray Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    what size do you want?
    I just bought my Ipad Mini, and I'm happy with it
  • BrayBray Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Kindle Fire HD 7 is under your budget,and recommended by many people