What now constitutes a flop?

dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having seen threads on here over last few weeks asking 'Is this single a flop?' 'Is this person flopping?' I have begun to wonder what a 'flop' actually is!

Do people not just buy music they like anymore, has it got to be a so called commercial success to buy something.

Surely with the proliferation of songs on youtube and illegal downloading there is very little reason to buy singles especially.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A flop really should be where a product does not make a company any money

Like when a film doesn't make it's budget at the box office.

I personally can't see how Christina Aguilera has made her label any money with the flops that have been Bionic and Lotus. Both albums have failed to give her a hit.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a flop is a rubbish single/album, whether it sells 1 copy or 6 million
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member

Well if it sells 6 million its most certainly not a flop, in your opinion you may not like or it doesn't rank alongside other stuff they have released, but 6 million people will have disagreed with you
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A flop tgo me at least is an album that fails to make any imparct Crtical, Commercial or make its budget back. People say beyonce's 4 was a flop it sold well WW had some hits and would have made the record company money and was critically acclaimed Lotus on the other hand lukewarm in all aspects sales, acclaim, and impact and probably wont make back its budget and profit thats a flop :o.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Christina being shaded to death already:o
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When someone jumps into a swimming pool belly first or when you leave your biscuit in your tea for to long.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A commercially unsuccessful product. If it doesn't make its money back then it's considered a flop. It's easier to apply this to a movie than a musical project but I think the same applies.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

Totally disagree with this. If something sells huge amounts of copies it is not a flop.
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    When someone jumps into a swimming pool belly first or when you leave your biscuit in your tea for to long.

hahaha :p:D
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally disagree with this. If something sells huge amounts of copies it is not a flop.

depends whether the measure is art or commerce;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    "Flop" is used pretty liberally on the internet. It seems to apply to anything that the person doesn't (want to?) view as successful, even if it was. :sleep:

It gets particularly bad with singles. Apparently a single is only a success if it gets #1 to some. Pretty funny really when you can get a #1 with next to no sales here and plummet the next week. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Flop - Songs that dissapear from the Charts within' a week or have poor sales.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh, the way the industry is now, it depends on the artist. 4 is considered a flop, but if Rita Ora sold those number, it wouldn't be a flop. PFRR is considered a flop because it didn't sell nearly as well as PF, but if you look at it as a rap album(which it isn't but is pretending to be) then it isn't a flop. Even though the RIAA decided to certify it platinum based on shipments, she hasnt even sold 800k copies in the US, let alone a million. The million mark for US pop artists seems to be the line to flop or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add, my favorite flop term right now is Flop Factor. It just makes me chuckle when I hear it about XFUS.
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When an album or single underperforms compared to the artists previous releases.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    It depends on what the song sounds like. If it's an urban song or ballad by a big artist, then getting top 40 is a success, but if it's a dance-pop song by a big artist, then missing the top 10 is a flop.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends whether the measure is art or commerce;)

The quality of Art is indefinable therefore un-measurable :)
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ryan11 wrote: »
    When an album or single underperforms compared to the artists previous releases.

so if Adele only sold 20m of her next album that would be a flop ??? :)
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A commercially unsuccessful product. If it doesn't make its money back then it's considered a flop. It's easier to apply this to a movie than a musical project but I think the same applies.

I don't know about that. 'Shawshank Redemption', 'Blues Brothers' and 'Bladerunner' were all commercially unsuccessful on their first releases but you would not call them flops now!
    Flop - Songs that dissapear from the Charts within' a week or have poor sales.

Probably true, but there are songs that do bounce about the lower end of the singles chart and have a degree of stickability. Emile Sande's 'Read All About It?

Albums can stick around even longer in this way as they gradually begin to sell outside the fanbase (or not?)
    Slojo wrote: »
    The quality of Art is indefinable therefore un-measurable :)

That's not completely true. Critical success can be measured by the number of favourable reviews an album gets. Nicola Roberts' 'Cinderella's Eyes' for example was critically well received and had a number of excellent tracks but didn't sell all that many.

Good point..consider Michael Jackson's 'Bad', the follow up to 'Thriller', 'Bad' didn't sell as many but it was definitely not a flop!

It is the perennial question of what does the pop in pop music and pop culture mean? Does it describe a type of music or is it just about the numbers?
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member

It wouldn't be a flop, but people would claim it's a flop. People even claim Skyfall is a flop.
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You know what I mean! And also, how long would it take her to reach 20m with her next album???
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    A flop really should be where a product does not make a company any money

Like when a film doesn't make it's budget at the box office.

I personally can't see how Christina Aguilera has made her label any money with the flops that have been Bionic and Lotus. Both albums have failed to give her a hit.

I agree, but unlike films its harder to find out how much an album cost to record.

Guns N' Roses 'Chinese Democracy' is reported to be the most expensive album ever recorded at a cost of $14million, following years of re-writes, delays, abandoned recording sessions...it then only sold modestly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A flop depends on the song. Take Tulisa for example.

Young was a success and Live It Up was a flop. But if Sight For You enters around the same position as Live It Up then it is not a flop as these two singles would 'represent' how well she normally charts. If her fourth single enters the top 25 then it can't be called a flop because the album is out and singles normally chart lower if the album is out. If it fails to enter the top 40 then it's a flop. Her album is a flop because it's had large amounts of promotion and airplay and isn't in the top 15. If she was a new artist then this would not be a flop because this would be 'her debut' but her previous releases with N-Dubz have gone top ten and all have gone platinum (the first double platinum), her fellow band mate also managed a top 10 placing for he's album so a top 15 placement changes so despite this, technically being her debut she has expectations

So to sum it up a flop consists of many things, Christina Aguleria and Alanis Morissette's new albums will end up with pretty much the same amount of sales but Christina's is a flop and Alanis's is not.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, it's a flop if it performs vastly below expectations. "Flop" suggests to me something that wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

It's a rather woolly, naff, weak verb that implies something not very impressive. So by my logic, it is difficult to "flop spectacularly" because that is less "flopping" to failure as smashing into it at 90 mph :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with some people if their not a fan of an act / group they`ll basically call anything a flop tbh

i suppose if an project makes money back even if it just breaks even i see that as sort of success tbh