Arne Dahl BBC4 6th April NO SPOILERS!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed that.

Few thoughts.

Did we see the killer in the opening credits? He's driving a car with a big crack all the way across the windscreen. So it isn't the 4x4 being driven by the inept bank robbers at the start. Nikolais had a silenced automatic. Probably filled up with the dodgy rare ammo? Dart killer traded up for a better weapon. The financier killer and the dart killer are one and the same perhaps. The pistol we see in the credits is a Tokorov I think. The star on the grip is quite distinctive.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/TT_1.jpg

We see a newspaper in the credits as well. Seven people on the front page. One a blonde woman.

So here's my theory:-
    Mild mannered dentist is playing darts in the local out of the way bank. Hapless bank robber enters on his own and our toothpuller kills him with one of his darts - that by the way would never be allowed to be sold/used in the UK because of our stringent health and safety laws. Someone could lose an eye with those buggers. Takes his gun. Sees the financiers photos in the local rag. Realises one/some/all are the ones who wronged him, or someone he loved. in some way. Decides to kill them all with his newly acquired auto(filled with the dodgy ammo). Or it's one of them he wants and the others are just camouflage.

Or it's the female ex golf caddy what dunnit.

PS
    Daddy with a brain the size of a planet forgets all about kid No.4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The music playing in the bank robbers car at the beginning is Misterioso by Thelonius Monk.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7te1syRAYO0

The guy in the car in the credits has the same CD as well. But I don't think he is Nikolai's accomplice. He doesn't have any tats on his hands that I can see.

PS
    The English title of this two parter is The Blinded Man. The novel it's based on is called Misterioso.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not bad, but not great so far (apart from the last few scenes). i think the problem is that it's too bright! Scandi-noir should be in the dark, with torches!

I'll give it 7 and hope it improves next week.

K
  • Ted MurrayTed Murray Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    PS
    Daddy with a brain the size of a planet forgets all about kid No.4.

Trying to control a pack of kids immediately shrinks the parent's brain to the size of a pea at the same time that the legs turn to jelly.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ted Murray wrote: »
    Trying to control a pack of kids immediately shrinks the parent's brain to the size of a pea at the same time that the legs turn to jelly.:(

LOL. I wonder if David Cameron is a fan of NordicNoir. Titters in the room if he was watching the ep with friends methinks.

Arto is a Charlie Chan fan perhaps?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    not bad, but not great so far (apart from the last few scenes). i think the problem is that it's too bright! Scandi-noir should be in the dark, with torches!

I'll give it 7 and hope it improves next week.

K

Reminds me of Unit One. Wallander is very bright and sunny as well when compared to the Danish dramas. Must be a Swedish thing.

The iPlayer version on Sky is superb. Never seen a better SD transmission. Hope BBC4 keep up the good work on that front.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who is the "Svartman" in this series??

Either Viggo or Arto
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Who is the "Svartman" in this series??

Either Viggo or Arto

The cleaner:D:D

Viggo has to be not dead to qualify?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The cleaner:D:D

Viggo has to be not dead to qualify?

I could find out whether he's dead but that would count as a spoiler one way or another

BTW does anyone know if Niklas Åkerfelt who plays Aarto is Finnish or just playing a Finn??
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The iPlayer version on Sky is superb. Never seen a better SD transmission. Hope BBC4 keep up the good work on that front.

I've downloaded that this morning to compare the two before watching. The iPlayer from Sky is so much better than the BBC Four showing.

Have to say, it sweetens the 'lack of HD' pill, albeit slightly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could find out whether he's dead but that would count as a spoiler one way or another

BTW does anyone know if Niklas Åkerfelt who plays Aarto is Finnish or just playing a Finn??

I assumed he was dead when we saw him nailed to the wall. That could be a bit previous. Thinking about it now. Never mind. We'll find out next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I've downloaded that this morning to compare the two before watching. The iPlayer from Sky is so much better than the BBC Four showing.

I didn't record the BBC4 transmission. So it will be interesting to see how the two versions compare. The DL ep expires next Saturday. So no series stack available like we got with Spiral for instance. I imagine the web iPlayer DL will be the same. Some FMs got caught out by this week only availability on a previous Scandi drama. TK3 I think?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member

For those who can't wait there are 5 x 3 h DVDs available with English subtitles from discshop.se (I refuse to use Amazon for anything). I've got 4 so far. Won't spoil it for you. They're certainly not up to the same standard as Wallander (Swedish versions) but still enjoyable if you don't analyse too closely. Agree with the Unit One comparison. Also worth checking out is the Protectors (available from Moviemail) and two Rolf Lassgards where he plays a detective (!): first one is called the Hunters (can't remember the second).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvchris wrote: »
    For those who can't wait there are 5 x 3 h DVDs available with English subtitles from discshop.se (I refuse to use Amazon for anything). I've got 4 so far. Won't spoil it for you. They're certainly not up to the same standard as Wallander (Swedish versions) but still enjoyable if you don't analyse too closely. Agree with the Unit One comparison. Also worth checking out is the Protectors (available from Moviemail) and two Rolf Lassgards where he plays a detective (!): first one is called the Hunters (can't remember the second).

False Trail. Rented it a few weeks ago.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/False-Trail-DVD-Rolf-Lassg%C3%A5rd/dp/B0091GYCXU

Sorry about the Amazon link. I use them all the time:p:D:D

PS
    The Hunters is available to rent on LoveFilm now. Wasn't last time I checked. So thanks for the reminder.:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He was born in Helsinki according to Wiki.sv
    http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niklas_%C3%85kerfelt
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    K

Turn the TV to black & white.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I emjoyed it. It was the best thing I watched yesterday.

Looking forward to next weeks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He was born in Helsinki according to Wiki.sv
    http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niklas_%C3%85kerfelt

Cheers BK
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »

TLP posted a link earlier on in the thread. It's a trailer that can be viewed in 1080p if your BB speed is up to it. Worth a watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers BK

No probs. Is that why Kerstin didn't get the ''little mushrooms'' at first. Because he was speaking Finnish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    I emjoyed it. It was the best thing I watched yesterday.

Looking forward to next weeks!

Doctor Who was the highlight for me. Matt Smith was on fire.

I've got Coriolanus to watch later on. That has good reviews so will give it a go.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wikipedia says he was born in Helsinki but also describes him as 'Finnish-Swedish'.

*Edit* - Just seen BK has answered.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvchris wrote: »
    Also worth checking out is the Protectors ....

4 eps into that and enjoying it more than I expected to. Going into it knowing little about it or expecting much probably helped. Recommended.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Quite liked this - not as immediately gripping as some other Scandi stuff but I think when we know the backgrounds it'll improve.

Haha, that was confusing wasn't it?! The music was a bit upbeat too. Felt much more on familiar territory towards the end.
    Ted Murray wrote: »

I liked him and loved the fact that everyone, including the kids, referred to the kids by their numbers :D
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who was the highlight for me. Matt Smith was on fire.

On fire as in Auditioning for panto matinees you mean. Abysmal, truly abysmal.