Isn't It Sad Star Wars Characters Are Being Used In Adverts?

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
It is sad to see Yoda in the Vodaphone advert, and Darth Vader in the PC World advert.

It just doesn't seem right.

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah , it's kinda shitty , I think I wouldn't mind if it were occasional , and for something worthwhile , but mobile phones - ffs!
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The kid in the Vader suit in the VW ads? Absolutely fine, love it.

Actual Yoda floggin mobile phones & insurance? Thanks for raping my childhood Vodaphone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    And nothing about the 8 million different toys, TV shows, films, T-Shirt and all other sorts of merchandising shit screams sell out? At least the special effects are good...
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Yoda adverts are tame compared to that early 90's Star Trek advert for National Power/Powergen
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Star Wars has been run into the ground. This is just the latest step. Yoda's character was ruined long before he started shilling phones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I don't get the SW Angry Birds stuff other than it's Angry Birds but shitter and with references to the Star Wars films. It's hard to fathom out whose selling out here though. :confused:
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh that's hilarious! I've just sent the link to a friend who will love that.

Have you noticed the first comment on it?
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind these adverts cause it's a way of Lucasfilm making money for future projects. Just because they've been bought by Disney doesn't mean they don't need a kickstart of funds.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind these adverts cause it's a way of Lucasfilm making money for future projects. Just because they've been bought by Disney doesn't mean they don't need a kickstart of funds.

I thought Lucas Films had been closed down by Disney?

Edit I see it is Lucas Arts, part of Lucas Films.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    love the vodaphone adverts with YODA :D
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And nothing about the 8 million different toys, TV shows, films, T-Shirt and all other sorts of merchandising shit screams sell out? At least the special effects are good...

Agreed. Star Wars has always been highly - in fact ruthlessly - commercial.
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Agreed. Star Wars has always been highly - in fact ruthlessly - commercial.

what do you mean? Clicky :D
  • ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Awesome :D
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

they got 3 billion $ didn't they ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    they got 3 billion $ didn't they ?
    $4 billion went to George Lucas for Lucasfilm, and Lucasfilm is now entirely owned and financed by Disney. Hence The Clone Wars being cancelled (It airs on Cartoon Network and is distributed by Warner Bros.) but continued in some other medium, presumably a TV show airing on Disney XD.

The adverts started appearing before the Disney deal so they can't take the blame for anything except this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4_dZPVg8KI
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poor yoda is being overdone, it's just too much overkill
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is sad to see Yoda in the Vodaphone advert, and Darth Vader in the PC World advert.

It just doesn't seem right.

Not as sad as discovering that ultimate badass Darth Vader used to run around shouting "yippee" when he was a child - or that he was a whiney emo crybaby as a young adult.

Its impossible to be impressed with Vader when he first strolls onto that rebel corvette, looking all mean and evil, when you know that Hayden Christensen is underneath, bawling about Padme or his mother or how the Jedi didn't give him enough positive reinforcement in order to coddle his pathetically sensitive ego.

Heck, at least Yoda is being practical and eeking out a career in advertising after losing his position as chief executive Jedi honcho. Life gets tough, so he does what's necessary in order to carry on. If Vader had survived the fall of the Empire, I'm fairly confident he would have become a hobo begging for scraps on the streets of Mos Eisley, whilst whinging that his kids just never understood him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Not as sad as discovering that ultimate badass Darth Vader used to run around shouting "yippee" when he was a child - or that he was a whiney emo crybaby as a young adult.

Its impossible to be impressed with Vader when he first strolls onto that rebel corvette, looking all mean and evil, when you know that Hayden Christensen is underneath, bawling about Padme or his mother or how the Jedi didn't give him enough positive reinforcement in order to coddle his pathetically sensitive ego.

I definitely agree there.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see Jabba the Hut on a fast food advert.

I'm not really bothered about characters in adverts.
  • Philip DaltonPhilip Dalton Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Yoda in the shower at the swimming baths:
    'To borrow your Head & Shoulders I want, dandruff it is because I have' :yawn::yawn::yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind, but Yoda and Vader are dead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mrcynical wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind, but Yoda and Vader are dead.

All the characters are dead, it happened a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I was quite angry when the bloke with the new phone was belittling Master Yoda.

Remember the brand I could. buy I would not.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't get the hype about Star Wars in the slightest .