Google Maps for iPad mini.

jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've had my iPad mini for a week now, and I'm absolutely loving it. There are still hundreds of things I can't do, or don't understand, but I'll cope with them one at a time. However, I don't like the inbuilt Maps app.

I thought I'd read that Google Maps had recently (end of 2012) become available for iPad, but at a charge. I looked in the App Store, but couldn't find it, though I did find a lot of 'tools' for it (add-ons?).

However, I've found that, using Safari, I can use 'search' to find and go into Google Maps. I've downloaded the Google Search app, and I can get to Google Maps in this, though it warns me that I'm leaving 'Search', and going into 'Maps'.

It also tells me I can return by clicking the 'Home' button twice.

So have I misunderstood something about Google Maps, and it's OK to go there through the browser?

Where's the 'Home' button when in Google Maps?

I miss 'Street View' - is there an equivalent?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Google maps is free in appstore
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/google-maps/id585027354?mt=8

Have a look at EggMapsHD, it uses google maps, but has a lovely interface and streetview works very well on there
    http://www.eggmaps.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/eggmaps-hd-google-maps-street/id589718934?mt=8
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, lettice. Google Maps is shown as an iPhone app only, even though the description says 'compatible with iPad'.

EggMapsHD looks good, but I haven't set up a payment method yet. I'll have to leave it for a few days while I investigate how to avoid senting a load of small charges to my credit card - maybe a gift voucher to myself. :)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until Google updates the actual app to be a "Universal" app (iPhone *and* iPad), your best option is simply to use Safari (or Chrome) and use the web app version via "http://maps.google.com".

You can save it to the Home Screen as a bookmark (share icon at the bottom middle of the Safari page > Add to Home Screen).

The web app version does have Street View - click on a point of interest etc. and then click on the Street View button (the stick man) and it will open Street View in a new window.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, Matt D.

However, I wonder whether we're on different versions of Safari. I can add a webpage to bookmarks by clicking on the 'send' item at the top, and selecting 'Bookmarks'. There's also an 'Add to Home Screen' option, but I'm not sure what that means... is it the iPad's home screen, or Safari's?

Nor do I know what 'point of interest' means, and there's no Street View button.

I did wonder whether the 'com version was different to 'co.uk, but changing the address makes no difference, so far as I can see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Add to Home Screen" is for the iPad's Home Screen.

For Street View, if you click on a point of interest labelled on the map (e.g. a business) or if you search for a location, you should get a stick man button to bring up Street View.

[This is testing it on Safari on my iPhone just now, my iPad is at home]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried both of those : indeed, 'Add to Home Screen' puts an icon for Google Maps on the iPad (I don't mind 'home screen' for the 'fixed' screen, but I've now got three more screens of apps :), they can't all be 'the home screen'.)

And yes, clicking on a name on the map gives me three icons at the bottom right, one of which opens Street View.

Thanks for the information.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem :)

Hopefully the app itself will get proper iPad support soon (ditto for YouTube). It *will* happen, at least going by Google's track record with other apps being iPhone-only first and then getting made "Universal".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    No problem :)

Hopefully the app itself will get proper iPad support soon (ditto for YouTube). It *will* happen, at least going by Google's track record with other apps being iPhone-only first and then getting made "Universal".

YouTube became a universal app quite a while ago now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha so it did! :) Back in December it seems. Seems I was waiting for it to be updated but never actually checked, oops.

Well, just waiting on Google Maps, then...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I downloaded Youtube yesterday. Played a few songs, watched a few videos.... At this rate I'll be able to leave my Kindle, mp3 player, radio and camera behind when I go on holiday!