2100 - Britain's Most Dangerous Songs: Listen to the Banned
2200 - More Dangerous Songs: And the Banned Played On

On in 20 mins.

Comments

• Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the records being banned have been more of a plus to some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    George Formby, who would have thought:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the news today, oh boy:D
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting programme so far. And nice to see the 'talking heads' are of a reasonable intelligence and relevance to the subject instead of the usual boring rent-a-crowd type. (i.e. no Pete Waterman - yay!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honesty in a haze of sorts.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and there's more songs.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny remember me
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Interesting programme so far. And nice to see the 'talking heads' are of a reasonable intelligence and relevance to the subject instead of the usual boring rent-a-crowd type. (i.e. no Pete Waterman - yay!).

Yawn! Pete Waterman is always interesting.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Im watching this having recorded it. Just done 'Leader of the Pack'.

Having studied music censorship in college, I find this fascinating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the programme overall was a bit incoherent, just picking ten random banned songs. Interesting, but it could and should have been much better.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I find most censorship daft I do thoroughly approve of the BBC banning songs that are nauseatingly sentimental during the war. They should apply this practice to records today.

For example the monstrosities from Bryan Adams and Wet Wet Wet - you know the songs - would have benefited from being banned and so would have we.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a little surprising that this documentary took such a long time to be commissioned.
    Some time ago the BBC produced a documentary on *"The Green Book," which was the guide for comedy writers as to what words and subjects could be mentioned in radio shows.
    This censorship was practiced in parallel with that of the restrictions on music recordings.

It amused me, that having banned "Mack the Knife," they later relented and allowed it once it proved to be so popular.

This programme, just gave us "a peak under the carpet" at BBC censorship, which probably still exists in many ways.

Wasn't impressed with Carrie Grant's contribution. I've always found her a bit fake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Book_%28BBC%29
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC making a show about the BBC banning records from being broadcast on BBC TV and Radio, the word incestuous barely begins to describe such inane drivel.
  • Options
    davies24davies24 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Banning a song in 2014 because it references Jesus? Bit of a strange decision that..
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Im watching this having recorded it. Just done 'Leader of the Pack'.

Having studied music censorship in college, I find this fascinating.
    What kind of employment looks for that (bib)? :confused:
  • Options
    Terry.RTerry.R Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Whilst I find most censorship daft I do thoroughly approve of the BBC banning songs that are nauseatingly sentimental during the war. They should apply this practice to records today.

For example the monstrosities from Bryan Adams and Wet Wet Wet - you know the songs - would have benefited from being banned and so would have we.

Wasn't there a rumour that Wet Wet Wet wanted to ban their own record?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    What kind of employment looks for that (bib)? :confused:

Ok, I studied popular music and did a project on music censorship.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Ok, I studied popular music and did a project on music censorship.
    I've 'studied' it my entire life! :p

Started listening to Childrens Favourites in the 1950's on the Light programme, Radio Luxembourg via an earphone and tiny tranny radio under the bed sheets as a pre-teen, and then the ultimate breakthrough....Offshore Pirate Radio stations in the 1960's. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Started listening to Childrens Favourites in the 1950's on the Light programme, Radio Luxembourg via an earphone and tiny tranny radio under the bed sheets as a pre-teen, and then the ultimate breakthrough....Offshore Pirate Radio stations in the 1960's. :cool:

Thats more the history of pop music isnt it? As opposed to learning composition, music theory and technical skills.
  • Options
    KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Johnny remember me

Probably only me but I found those occasional screams during that performance quite eerie. :o
  • Options
    meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kymberly wrote: »
    Probably only me but I found those occasional screams during that performance quite eerie. :o

I thought it was odd. The backing singers looked really out of sync and uncomfortable.

Weirdly, I was trying to remember this song on Thursday night, I had benn listening To tell Laura I love her and couldn't rember a similar type song. funny it turned up on the TV the next day.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You sound just like me. :)
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kymberly wrote: »

Most girls did used to scream like that in those days though. I remember going to concerts where it was impossible to hear any of the music in the 1960's. It was frustrating to those of us who didn't scream like banshees and also to the performers too.

I think the clip of John Leyton singing Johnny Remember Me was taken from a programme called Harpur's West One about a dept store, and he was supposed to be a singer who was there for some reason and that was why the girls screaming looked so fake as they were only acting it. The record shot to No. 1 the week following the programme though. At least that is what I have read about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Terry.R wrote: »
    Wasn't there a rumour that Wet Wet Wet wanted to ban their own record?

I recall hearing this rumour, if my memory serves me correctly Reg Presley apparently vetoed the 'ban' as he wished to continue receiving royalties. Not really sure of the veracity of this claim, it sounds rather tabloid to me.

Most girls did used to scream like that in those days though. I remember going to concerts where it was impossible to hear any of the music in the 1960's. It was frustrating to those of us who didn't scream like banshees and also to the performers too.

I think the clip of John Leyton singing Johnny Remember Me was taken from a programme called Harpur's West One about a dept store, and he was supposed to be a singer who was there for some reason and that was why the girls screaming looked so fake as they were only acting it. The record shot to No. 1 the week following the programme though. At least that is what I have read about it.

Fibromite59, I remember my husband telling me about the first time he saw the Beatles in the 1960s; he couldn't hear anything because of the screaming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missus21 wrote: »
    I recall hearing this rumour, if my memory serves me correctly Reg Presley apparently vetoed the 'ban' as he wished to continue receiving royalties. Not really sure of the veracity of this claim, it sounds rather tabloid to me.

The rumour wasn't that they wanted to ban it but they wanted to delete it as they were bored of it being at Number 1 for so long. It was thought though to be a publicity stunt to force people to go out and buy it while they could thus keeping it Number 1 and beating or equalling Bryan Adams record, which they didn't quite manage to do.