Sim City

JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought this from Game yesterday. When I started, it wanted to create or join an Origin account. I suppose that is some sort of Steam thing. My name was already taken, but I inserted a password and it worked, so I suppose I must have joined some time in the past.
I then had to create a profile, including putting in a picture on a particular format. Nothing seemed to take and after a long effort I cancelled. On impulse however I tried to log in again and got in without being bothered by the profile stuff.

Because I had started with the dvd in my drive, itg must have worked out that I wanted something so it asked for a product code. It took me a while to find one on a piece of paper in the box (The help offered was that it was 'usually in the manual' ha ha)., but I entered it and it worked third time when I eventually got it correct.
The thing sprang into life and told me that the download was preparing.
Then I noticed that what I had bought was apparently 'the limited edition'. I don't know what that means, i.e. whether people in the US think that is a posh edition or whether it is a cut down version with limited time or scenarios or something.

All that faffing about took me about an hour but I am now still waiting so I thought I would while away time writing this before I cancel.

Anyway the short of it is that I am sure it will be a great game but if you wait before buying you won't be missing anything, because the system they have set up plainly does not yet work.
If I were you I would hang on to your £45 for a while until it gets sorted, because in my experience, things that do not work at all at first are being done by people who do not actually have much of a chance of ever getting it going properly. But if you don't believe me buy it. You'll be sorry.

That's it, it is half past two in the morning and I am cancelling the junk.

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    I bought this from Game yesterday. When I started, it wanted to create or join an Origin account. I suppose that is some sort of Steam thing. My name was already taken, but I inserted a password and it worked, so I suppose I must have joined some time in the past.
    I then had to create a profile, including putting in a picture on a particular format. Nothing seemed to take and after a long effort I cancelled. On impulse however I tried to log in again and got in without being bothered by the profile stuff.

Because I had started with the dvd in my drive, itg must have worked out that I wanted something so it asked for a product code. It took me a while to find one on a piece of paper in the box (The help offered was that it was 'usually in the manual' ha ha)., but I entered it and it worked third time when I eventually got it correct.
    The thing sprang into life and told me that the download was preparing.
    Then I noticed that what I had bought was apparently 'the limited edition'. I don't know what that means, i.e. whether people in the US think that is a posh edition or whether it is a cut down version with limited time or scenarios or something.

All that faffing about took me about an hour but I am now still waiting so I thought I would while away time writing this before I cancel.

Anyway the short of it is that I am sure it will be a great game but if you wait before buying you won't be missing anything, because the system they have set up plainly does not yet work.
    If I were you I would hang on to your £45 for a while until it gets sorted, because in my experience, things that do not work at all at first are being done by people who do not actually have much of a chance of ever getting it going properly. But if you don't believe me buy it. You'll be sorry.

That's it, it is half past two in the morning and I am cancelling the junk.

I managed to install it but it was so slow and the servers kept disconnecting.

Too much hassle.

The Limited Edition has the 'Heroes and Villains' extra set.

I've uninstalled it.

No way should you have to be connected to the net to play a single player game.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Server/installation problems have been being reported on the net since the US launch.
    Here's a taster from the EU release:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-08-simcity-servers-appear-to-be-coping-as-game-hits-uk
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's EA what did you expect? They have your money now they don't care what happens.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    It's EA what did you expect? They have your money now they don't care what happens.

That would be why they're giving everyone who bought it a free game as compensation then.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    That would be why they're giving everyone who bought it a free game as compensation then.

Damage limitation due to the outcry. Plus no one has any idea what game it is, so it's a little early to claim they've redeemed themselves.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair play to them but it's unusual for them to do anything ask any FIFA fan.
    Knowing EA the game will be a £1.99 ipad app or something.

An idea would be to make a patch so the game can be played offline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Yep, wait till you see what the game is first.

God hope it's not the abomination that was SimCity Societes - now that would be a kick in the nuts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I've been a huge SimCity fan since SimCity 2000 but I will not be buying this game. I was really looking forward to it until I realised it was online only. What a stupid idea. I won't play something where I have to be constantly connected online, that's not possible for me. And what happens to your game when the servers are inevitably closed down? It will happen, probably sooner rather than later knowing EA. No thanks.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought Sim City 4 for £10 off steam the other day. Think I made the right choice!
  • stevenjwstevenjw Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I've been a huge SimCity fan since SimCity 2000 but I will not be buying this game. I was really looking forward to it until I realised it was online only. What a stupid idea. I won't play something where I have to be constantly connected online, that's not possible for me. And what happens to your game when the servers are inevitably closed down? It will happen, probably sooner rather than later knowing EA. No thanks.

I agree with you. your acually paying a sort of rental, not a for physical copy of the game, that you can play at a later date.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried again. I guessed that 2pm on Saturday would be a good time, and in fact it worked a treat. Still took a while to get fully going, but it works fine.

It is slightly odd, because on a glance it seems that they have deliberately made it impossible to build a balanced city, thus enforcing sharing between players, though one person could probably run multiple cities to share resources.

So really it is an online multi player game, which is playable by a single person if they insist. I have not played any other on line games, except chess, so can not really compare.

At least it is an interesting concept, having a game where all players benefit from cooperation, instead of just a game for loners or alternatively a game to fight everybody.

If you want a conspiracy theory, how about they deliberately had it getting off to a troubled start, for publicity and cultiness?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love a console version built for console gamers don't really play PC games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have any idea when the Mac OSX version will be out?

All I can find is that it will be out in "Spring 2013".
  • MurkMurk Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when the Mac OSX version will be out?

All I can find is that it will be out in "Spring 2013".

On their twitter account it says they will have more news about the release date for Mac in early April
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's stil fairly beta. Supposedly there will be a patch to fix the traffic and more servers.

I still got some fun out of it and the graphics are admittedly, beautiful in parts.

I don't think it will be any good until they stop lying about having to have online play and remove it, and sort out all the other massive play issues.
    Also wtf is the deal with allowing curved streets but only rectangular buildings? If its dynamic then make it so, don't waste my time I have OCD. The parks are bad enough to click into a decent position.