Newswatch

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. R4's Feedback was JS-free, not Newswatch - link has the new correct postal address, by the by.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samira just talks all over the guests and doesn't allow any replies she is a good presenter she just needs to interrupt less.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Samira just talks all over the guests and doesn't allow any replies she is a good presenter she just needs to interrupt less.

On this or everything? She's only done one Newswatch so far, but I know she's done the Sunday morning show (which I often miss)
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Newswatch presenter to BBC editor: Please sir, tell the viewers why you are right and the viewers are idiots.
    You're not far off. Most of the time the answer is "Because we know what we're doing and they don't".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samira Ahmed'sbeen at the helm since the programme moved from Television Centre to Broadcasting House, London so there've been a few editions and I like her presentation and interviewing skills.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Samira is a lot easier on the eye than Snoddy :D

I watched last night's and the point about talking over people may have been that tricky delay thing that regularly happens.
    It's probably best to keep talking and get your question across than to keep stopping and starting .
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I usually enjoy Newswatch, it seems pretty fair and balanced to me although as with all of these type of programmes the odd thing has irked me at times.

Speaking of fair and balanced Fox News Channel also has a simlarly named programme (Fox News Watch). It discusses, in their opinion, examples of blatant bias in the week's media coverage.

I honestly kid you not. The commentators are actually very funny but I assume that isn't really their intention :)

In comparison BBC Newswatch (although a quite different programme) is really rather good.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Anything interesting on last night's Newswatch?
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Anything interesting on last night's Newswatch?

The most interesting part for me was a discussion on the BBC's use of information from social network sites.

Coverage of the Scottish Independence debate was discussed and I think a few gripes about football coverage were raised too but it was the social network story that caught my attention.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    The most interesting part for me was a discussion on the BBC's use of information from social network sites.

Coverage of the Scottish Independence debate was discussed and I think a few gripes about football coverage were raised too but it was the social network story that caught my attention.

What did they have to say about the use of info from social network sites? I'm doing a presentation for IT Law on social networks and privacy and I was wondering if there was anything privacy-related that I could mention :D
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you're wrong but neither of us can prove it so we'll just have to leave it there.

The answer of someone who hasn't got a clue!!:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Hasn't got a clue about what? Go on then. Prove it. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Samira Ahmed'sbeen at the helm since the programme moved from Television Centre to Broadcasting House, London so there've been a few editions and I like her presentation and interviewing skills.

Only 2 eps so far. I still prefer Snoddy. She's a bit bland by comparison. There's no warmth to her.
    mersey70 wrote: »

Did you see that clip of Lyse Douchet talking about social networking to a big crowd? I haven't seen, in a long time, someone use so many words to say absolutely chuff all. God, she was full of herself!
    What did they have to say about the use of info from social network sites? I'm doing a presentation for IT Law on social networks and privacy and I was wondering if there was anything privacy-related that I could mention :D

Nothing of any interest. It'll be on Iplayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of programmes on the Newswatch iPlayer Episode Guide (NB includes duplicates) to look back at.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even MOTD has twitter comments now..........such as "Well done lads great result" type stuff.
    Annoying, who the hell is interested in what some thicko footballer writes on twitter?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They used to do that on the Football League Show but dropped it after a season because it was absolutely pointless - of course a fan is going to praise his or her team if they win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    They used to do that on the Football League Show but dropped it after a season because it was absolutely pointless - of course a fan is going to praise his or her team if they win.

I've had a tweet read out on Newswatch, so I don't mind these. It's the quickest way of getting interaction with viewers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZqaVuetHg
  • owlie81owlie81 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Did you see that clip of Lyse Douchet talking about social networking to a big crowd? I haven't seen, in a long time, someone use so many words to say absolutely chuff all. God, she was full of herself!

Yes!! I watched that and thought what a load of drivel. What she was saying was just a load of babble - in the interview on Newswatch she basically said that the BBC have to move with the times and that means including social media into the mix even if it may be wildly inaccurate - oh great that's OK then?!:rolleyes:

I get sick of seeing tweets pop up on many programmes like it matters what random twitter users think - it distracts from the programme and for me adds nothing further.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,855
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Even MOTD has twitter comments now..........such as "Well done lads great result" type stuff.
    Annoying, who the hell is interested in what some thicko footballer writes on twitter?

Ofcourse they only post the positive comments,,they'll aren't all thick though.

Some of the overseas guys make sense in their Tweets,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owlie81 wrote: »
    I get sick of seeing tweets pop up on many programmes like it matters what random twitter users think - it distracts from the programme and for me adds nothing further.

What about a programme like Sunday Brunch where viewers can email/tweet in questions for the guests?
    Forum Member
    owlie81 wrote: »
    What she was saying was just a load of babble - in the interview on Newswatch she basically said that the BBC have to move with the times and that means including social media into the mix even if it may be wildly inaccurate - oh great that's OK then?!:rolleyes:
    No. She never actually said the BIB. :confused::rolleyes:

What she did explain is that they now have a new "UGC Hub" to try and substantiate anything they read on Twitter, etc. If they can't fully verify something they may well still use it but with some sort of disclaimer attached.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of food for thought on NewsWatch again, plus bye-bye to Ceefax.
    Forum Member
    Yeah. That guy on about the loss of Ceefax equating to less value from the LF (or whatever it was) is obviously an idiot as pretty-much anything major that was on teletext is still there but but on the Red Button!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly Points of View and NewsWatch will follow up the recent goodbyes to Ceefax with a piece on Red Button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest Tweet "@newswatchbbc exploring coverage of the new James Bond movie: reporting a cultural phenomenon or promotional plugging? tell us your views.."