Iain Duncan Smith: I could get by on £53 a week

1141516171820»

Comments

• tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    no, and to ask him personally to do it is absurd. The question should be, is it acceptable to allow someone in society to live off that amount.

Only if you can live on that amount, he say yes it can be done then to prove it he should do it, anyone can be paid to shot the mouth off, Actions speak louder then words
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As part of this £53 a week, he should travel everywhere via public transport as noone on £53 a week could afford a car, also no internet, so let's see how he would do jobhunting which he must do as part of this
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH assures me he saw a report which said IDS was given a beautiful house free and for nothing from his Father-in -law. It's a lovekly house apparently.
    It's indicative of something that he's lost his rag and become so defensive about this 53£ a week .petition. Horrid little landed gentry.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As part of this £53 a week, he should travel everywhere via public transport as noone on £53 a week could afford a car, also no internet, so let's see how he would do jobhunting which he must do as part of this

The cost of transport would depends how far you've got to travel, and how often.

For job hunting the internet is probably more essential than some other shopping items. Internet might be available at the local library, assuming it's still open, or sit in the neighbourhood of McDonalds. ;)

My OH assures me he saw a report which said IDS was given a beautiful house free and for nothing from his Father-in -law. It's a lovekly house apparently.

I'm sure a lot of people get a house for free. Just a shame that, for most, the parents have to die in the process.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    what a coward IDS is :rolleyes:
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Only if you can live on that amount, he say yes it can be done then to prove it he should do it, anyone can be paid to shot the mouth off, Actions speak louder then words

Exactly! If he thinks it is an acceptable amount regardless of his position in society he should also be able to prove he can live off it. In any case the public can soon deprive him of his position in society at the next election at which point he will be unemployed and eligible for Jobseekers. I wish our gvernments would remember that they are servants of the people and not the other way around.