Companies you are amazed are still in business?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Retailers:

Boots.
BHS.
M&S.

Online:

Myspace.
Bebo.

TV:

Top Up TV.
Various music channel broadcasters.
Many of the shopping and gambling channels.

Entertainment:

Nintendo.
Sega.

Comments

• CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    You're obsessed!
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W H Smiths.
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    You're obsessed!
    Snap! I second your remark. :)
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The retailers part survive due to the fact they're well ran (to a point) and know their markets and don't try and f-it up too much

Online ones - probably just hoping for some daft idiot who will look at a 2002 valuation by mistake and buy them

TV - Music isn't too bad its like radio you put it on and will listen to the adverts while doing other stuff and the rest must be doing something right to get the required cash from peoples pocket but they look so cheap you can tell they only need a few idiots a day to carry on running

Entertainment : they got big back catalogues such as pokemon/sonic/zelda etc that are worth serious money even though they aint making waves in sales they're steady sellers
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    You're obsessed!

Wii U flop. Top Up TV lost Sky Sports channels.

So big questions on some companies futures. :p
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    W H Smiths.

Second this. Their stores are stuck in the 80's. Every single one of them, yes, even the new ones.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mothercare & Superdrug.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yodel. Awful delivery company.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W H Smiths.
    Libitina wrote: »
    Second this. Their stores are stuck in the 80's. Every single one of them, yes, even the new ones.

They have the market cornered in train stations and airports.
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    They have the market cornered in train stations and airports.
    Don't forget service stations as well. :)
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farm Foods. Iceland.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Yodel. Awful delivery company.
    I was going to mention them, but I think there tow sides to there deliveries

Deliveries to a customers address, very poor service, don't give a rose in the garden, about customers

Deliveries made to collect+ shop, excellent service, mainly down to the fact, if they failed in there service, they could lose this contract
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more amazed that you're amazed some of those companies are still in business. The day Boots and M&S go bust, I'll eat a foetus.

Are we restricted to naming only public limited companies?
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Retailers:

Boots.
    M&S.
    I don't understand why you would put these two on the list? They are in the scheme of things, well managed and making a decent profit.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kongō Gumi still going strong from 578, Extraordinary riding out all of those recessions and wars. . .
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Retailers:

Boots.
    M&S.
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I don't understand why you would put these two on the list? They are in the scheme of things, well managed and making a decent profit.

I could see why he put them down, think boith these shops have done a lot of restructuring, all because of the compeditors

M&S, now have to compete with companies like, Primark, Matalan, Asda, Tesco,

Boots, might not be as bad, but they still have there compeditors
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about BHS the womenswear section is aimed at 50+ and looks so dated. The childrenswear is good quality bu I don't see how they can compete with M&S or John Lewis schoolwear.

Farmfoods and Iceland can undercut the big 4 supermarkets on brands like Birds Eye and Quorn. Farmfoods whole leg of lamb is only £8, they sell multipacks of well known confectionery brands for low prices that other retailers cannot price match. Their frozen veg is 3 bags for £2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W H Smiths.

I agree. Expensive and have little to offer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boots.
    BHS.
    M&S

There customers are ageing.
  • Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Retailers:

Boots.
    BHS.
    M&S.

Online:

Myspace.
    Bebo.

TV:

Top Up TV.
    Various music channel broadcasters.
    Many of the shopping and gambling channels.

Entertainment:

Nintendo.
    Sega.

Is a huge high street name.. I can't ever seeing it go bust
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    I could see why he put them down, think boith these shops have done a lot of restructuring, all because of the compeditors

M&S, now have to compete with companies like, Primark, Matalan, Asda, Tesco,

Boots, might not be as bad, but they still have there compeditors

Boots are expensive compared to Semi Chem, Savers and Bodycare. I guess it's their loyalty card which is keeping customers loyal as their stores are dated and still look like the 80's and 90's. Even newer branches look old other than the new blue sign.
  • GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get different types of Boots stores, Your Local Boots Pharmacy (YLBP) can be found in villages and small rural/urban towns and cater mainly for people who want to pick up their prescription.

Our company support both Boots and M&S IT systems and I can say both of these companies have money to waste, so I cannot see either one of them going out of business.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    Libitina wrote: »
    Second this. (WHS) stores are stuck in the 80's. Every single one of them, yes, even the new ones.

Their share price has nearly doubled over the past seven years since they went public. There aren't many companies for whom that's true. They've got essentially no bet, they have decent cash holdings, they're profitable by any measure.

http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Financials?s=SMWH:LSE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Co-op department store in my town
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    N Power, and all the utility companies really. Year on year ripping off their customer for more and more for less and less as each year passes. :cool: