Help > Old Sony DVD Player with Samsung LED TV

Hi,

I'm trying to use my old sony DVD player in my SAMSUNG UE32F5000AK with a scart cable but it wont recognise it :(

The back of the Sony DVD player looks as following pic.

Do I need to use any other type of cable ?

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp89/magicshaw/dvd_zps274155e2.jpg

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,338
    Forum Member
    No, a SCART to SCART lead is all you require, but what do you mean by "won't recognise"?

If it's not switching to SCART automatically try switching manually with the TV remote - I'm presuming you're using AV1 (TV SCART) on the DVD?.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the tv need an adaptor for a scart? The one that came with my Samsung was not a very good fit, is yours seated fully?
  • magicshawmagicshaw Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    No, a SCART to SCART lead is all you require, but what do you mean by "won't recognise"?

When I go into sourse section on my TV and following options turn up

TV, HDMI1, EXT, HDMI2/DV1, AV, Component

I tried all of them and the DVD screen doen't appear as it used to in my old CRT TV.

tealady wrote: »
    Does the tv need an adaptor for a scart? The one that came with my Samsung was not a very good fit, is yours seated fully?

The scart pin goes well in but not 100%.

It only has one scart input where it says EXT(RGB).

Maybe that could be the reason ??

Which adaptor do I ned to buy ??
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    magicshaw wrote: »
    When I go into sourse section on my TV and following options turn up

TV, HDMI1, EXT, HDMI2/DV1, AV, Component

I tried all of them and the DVD screen doen't appear as it used to in my old CRT TV.

The scart pin goes well in but not 100%.

Maybe that could be the reason ??

Which adaptor do I ned to buy ??
    EXT is probably the SCART if the images of the back of the telly I've found are accurate.

What might be the issue is that the DVD and TV are not set to the same video mode. It is possible the DVD player is set to Composite and the TV to RGB. That might make the TV ignore any signal on the SCART though you should get audio if you were to play a disk.

I would try going into the TV menu and see if there is a setting for the EXT video mode and change it from whatever it's currently set to to each of the alternatives in turn and see what happens.

The adapter tealady was probably talking about is a full size SCART to mini SCART. Some TVs have a small socket about the size of an HDMI for SCART wirth a short adapter lead with a matching plug on end and a full size SCART the other. You would know if you needed one of those as there would be nowhere to plug a full size SCART in.

Though full size SCARTs can be temperamental so always worth giving them a firm but gentle push to make sure they are fully seated.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    What might be the issue is that the DVD and TV are not set to the same video mode. It is possible the DVD player is set to Composite and the TV to RGB.

Sorry Chris, but that's not possible - TV's don't have settings to select either RGB or Composite, and the DVD player will output both at all times, all the RGB menu setting on the DVD player does is set pin 16 high, to force the TV to RGB instead of Composite.

As she says the SCART 'pin' goes in, but not 100%, it sounds like it's perhaps not pushed in fully?>
    Forum Member
    When I go into Menu> System> DivX Video on Demand, it says register or de register.

Has THIS got something to do with the issue ???
    Forum Member
    When I go into Menu> System> DivX Video on Demand, it says register or de register.

Has THIS got something to do with the issue ???

No - it's almost certainly either the SCART lead not pushed in correctly, or some of the pins in the SCART plug pushed back inside it's shell.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In other words try a different SCART lead.
    And what does "The scart pin goes well in but not 100%." mean?
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »

And what does "The scart pin goes well in but not 100%." mean?

Still sticks out a bit :)
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Still sticks out a bit :)

So it's not plugged in properly and you are wondering why it's not working? :D
    Forum Member
    I've tried it to push harder without any luck. if I use any more force I fear it might just pop out of the front screen :o
  • quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see you've posted this on the Sony Forums as well. If the SCART lead is not fully in, or wont fully go in, its time for a new SCART lead isnt it? As you have probably bent one of the pins.

Or try using component RCA cables (which you may have lying around somewhere)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On another post you said "I have a flat screen and the way it is placed, Its not easy to access the headphone socket on the back " so, is there enough clearance for the SCART plug to fit in properly - if not something like this may help http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hinged-Scart-Adaptor-mounting-Mountain/dp/B000UPGYSC.
    In any event do as has been suggested several times and buy a new lead.
    Forum Member
    mac2708,

That thing about headphones is about a different smaller size LED TV :)

I've got two brand new scart leads and both of them aren't working :(

I guess its the RCA cable thing to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess its the RCA cable thing to do.

Item no 330470620488 on the big auction site, will it do the job ????

Should do - it's a standard lead
    Forum Member
    Thanks very much :)
    Forum Member
    The RSA cables worked perfect.

Thanks folks.