Moffat: Matt is "not going" and will back after filming the Ryan Gosling movie.

Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
Forum Member
Steven Moffat said at the BFI that Matt Smith is "not going" and will back after filming the Ryan Gosling movie.

https://twitter.com/BlogtorWho/statu...62708744450048

Seems there is yet another production break straight after filming the anniversary ep, think we can safely rule out 8A airing this year. So much for two years straight production.

He'll definitely be gone, or at least announced to be going, before the year is out:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=63979946&highlight=12th#post63979946

http://www.darkbunnytees.com/doctor-who/

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    First of all, it was also said by a BBC spokesman (if that adds any credibility for you).

Secondly, they say he isn't leaving and your response is he is?? Not only possibly, but definitely?? Explain your logic. :confused:
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at the bfi today and it should be noted this was not something Moffat said in relation to a direct question on the topic. He was there to introduce Tomb of the Cybermen and was talking about the story and why he and Matt rated it so highly, telling the rather charming story of Matt ringing him up to rave about how much he loved Troughton and how he knew from then on the bow tie was inevitable. He remarked light heartedly that Matt was off to make a film but that he would be back, he said it a couple of times actually.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I was at the bfi today and it should be noted this was not something Moffat said in relation to a direct question on the topic. He was there to introduce Tomb of the Cybermen and was talking about the story and why he and Matt rated it so highly, telling the rather charming story of Matt ringing him up to rave about how much he loved Troughton and how he knew from then on the bow tie was inevitable. He remarked light heartedly that Matt was off to make a film but that he would be back, he said it a couple of times actually.

That just makes me believe he's leaving more.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Believe what you like, it was a light hearted, good humoured bit of a chatter off the cuff and not in response to any questions on the topic. I tend to feel that as I was there I am better placed to judge the context of the conversation than you, with all due respect.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    If Matt is off to film the Ryan Gosling movie after he's filmed the anniversary episode I wonder when they will have time to film the Christmas special? Assuming that there is one of course... :)
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas special are usually filmed august/september so there could be time. He has 3 months to film his movie over the summer then come back.I do think 11s story is coming to a close. Expect it will be announced at the end of the year begining of 2014 that there will be a 12th doctor for S8.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

I believe he's leaving. At some point. Name me one other Doctor actor who hasn't, at some point, left. Predicting that the actor will at some point resign hardly requires second sight.

Moffat said he'd be back after the movie. So looks like he will do at least one more story after the anniversary. And possibly many more. But Moffat hasn't said anything about how many. So even if Matt does push off before making a full 2014 series, it wouldn't contradict anything Moffat said.

Things may be fluid. Matt might want to go to Hollywood asap and at the same time regret having to leave behind this excellent role. Or contract negotiations etc might go the way of him staying. Which I'm sure he'd be very happy about too.

But as far as what Moffat said - he's returning after the movie.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not saying that this is the case here, but it is not unknown for the BBC to be flexible if the respected actor/star of a top series wants to work on another time-limited project or film.

Better to try to accommodate those requirements than to lose that actor and have to search fro a suitable replacement (and have to rethink/rewrite scripts and storylines).
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Mr Moffat ever lied to us?:p
  • mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Exactly, Sherlock anyone?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here we go again ........ :yawn:
    Forum Member

;). All Matt has to do is come back after the movie and do one more thing and Moffat will have been correct and not at all misleading

The thing on many peoples minds is whether he'll be doing a full series 8. Moffat recently told us that they don't really want to tell us much more about the future until series 7b has aired. So he is being consistent by letting us know that Matt has not resigned, but won't go into detail....yet.

I prefer the current approach. Better for Moffat to say "we will provide further info in the summer" and keep relatively quiet otherwise. Which is better than last years pulse raising hyperbole.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mccollough wrote: »
    Exactly, Sherlock anyone?

When has Moffat lied to us with Sherlock..?
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Here we go again ........ :yawn:

Indeedy, because he has. And been twistedly evasive to boot.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    If Matt is off to film the Ryan Gosling movie after he's filmed the anniversary episode I wonder when they will have time to film the Christmas special? Assuming that there is one of course... :)

Apparently the role he's bagged isn't that time-consuming, so it wouldn't be a massive commitment for Matt to do Gosling's movie then come back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I believe he's leaving. At some point. Name me one other Doctor actor who hasn't, at some point, left. Predicting that the actor will at some point resign hardly requires second sight.

Technically, Paul McGann never resigned or left the role... ;)
    Forum Member
    Technically, Paul McGann never resigned or left the role... ;)

Damn! I carefully used "left the role", being mindful of Colin and Bill's situations. But in Paul's case the role left him. Unless you mean the way he (and all the living classic doctors) seem to be currently playing the role on audio..... in which case the only way out of the role is to be six feet under. Or Christopher Eccleston.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Damn! I carefully used "left the role", being mindful of Colin and Bill's situations. But in Paul's case the role left him. Unless you mean the way he (and all the living classic doctors) seem to be currently playing the role on audio..... in which case the only way out of the role is to be six feet under. Or Christopher Eccleston.

But don't forget that Christopher Eccleston has categorically denied any involvement with the fiftieth anniversary mini series with almost certainly means that he will be back to do that...err..I think? :)
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well when he has lied I'm sure it hasn't been promising that an actor is staying. I'm sure that if he's said that, Matt will be back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But don't forget that Christopher Eccleston has categorically denied any involvement with the fiftieth anniversary mini series with almost certainly means that he will be back to do that...err..I think? :)

We all might be surprised in a few weeks. Who knows? :)
    Forum Member
    Indeedy, because he has. And been twistedly evasive to boot.:D

And hopefully his memory of how all that went for him is why he currently appears to be saying more restrained and straightforward things. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also, McCoy was only asked back at the behest of Philip Segal, so that was also a close thing with the end of his time in the role too. :)
    Forum Member

Oh yes. In fact Eccleston has said the most certain things about never doing it again (not bathing in the same river twice - which I think was him garbling a different sentiment but never mind).

So - his absolute denials lead me to think that Matt is indeed leaving and will regenerate into the twelfth Doctor....Christopher Eccleston.
  • alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of course he'll be coming back after the movie, if he were leaving I think we'd have heard about it.