I'm looking for a particular type of scene in a film or tv show.

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Can anyone think of a scene in a film or tv show where the character see things one way, but then you see the same scene but how it really was?

For instance there is a scene in How I met Your Mother, where Ted thinks he is being great, but the trouble is he is drunk, so when you see it from another point of view, you see that he was really being a gimp.

Ideally the scene should be about what is said rather than what is seen.

Comments

• muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone think of a scene in a film or tv show where the character see things one way, but then you see the same scene but how it really was?

For instance there is a scene in How I met Your Mother, where Ted thinks he is being great, but the trouble is he is drunk, so when you see it from another point of view, you see that he was really being a gimp.

Well, I'm not sure if it's the type of thing you mean, but if you've seen The Conversation you'll see, at the end, that the film is all about how a certain sentence is heard, but in fact meant in a different way, making the whole film you've just seen completely different.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shallow Hal?

Not saying It's good. And its more about what he sees.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shallow Hal?

Not saying It's good. And its more about what he sees.

Yes sadly that is more how he sees the world rather than perceives what is being said.

But it is a good example of someone seeing things differently to how they are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Well, I'm not sure if it's the type of thing you mean, but if you've seen The Conversation you'll see, at the end, that the film is all about how a certain sentence is heard, but in fact meant in a different way, making the whole film you've just seen completely different.

I'll see if I can find it, but if it is just one sentence then it may not help. I'll google the sentence.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Manchurian Candidate
    There is a couple of flashbacks revealing characters' perspectives of reality don't match the actual reality. They are brainwashed, though.

To be honest, I'm not sure what you're looking for. Characters' spoken recollections that don't match the visual reality? Like Ross from Friends, for example, claiming he was the coolest dancer at school, but a flashback reveals he was actually an embarrassment on dance floor. Is this what you meant?
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The recent movie 'Lovelace' does this throughout. The movie tells the story of Linda Lovelace in words and pictures one quite liberating way and then re-telling the story often through the same scenes but presenting the dark side of the story.

Also Woody Allen uses the device (in Annie Hall) of displaying in subtitles what characters are thinking when they are saying something quite different to each other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    The recent movie 'Lovelace' does this throughout. The movie tells the story of Linda Lovelace in words and pictures one quite liberating way and then re-telling the story often through the same scenes but presenting the dark side of the story.

Also Woody Allen uses the device (in Annie Hall) of displaying in subtitles what characters are thinking when they are saying something quite different to each other.

I have 'Lovelace' but haven't watched it yet, so will check it out.

What I'm looking for is slightly more subtle than the Annie Hall subtitles thing.

The ambiguity is in the wording of what the people say, but it is the tone of voice, facial expressions and body language that give away the context of what is actually being said.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American Horror Story has done this a few times. In "Murder House", Ben sees Moira the maid as a beautiful and seductive young woman, whereas his wife and family see her as an old lady. More to your point, Ben also hears her making suggestive, sexual comments (because he wants to) whereas his wife and family hear her being subdued and normal. The reason is that Moira's curse is to be perceived by men differently than women.

In "Coven", after Sister Jude has been imprisoned and lost her mind, she sees a new inmate as the Angel of Death and is terrified of her. As viewers, we too see the inmate as the Angel of Death. Only later do we see her as she really is and realise Jude has been hallucinating (although she doesn't *hear* the inmate saying anything different from what she's really saying in this instance).
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    There is an X-Files episode that has different perspectives on a particular case Mulder and Scully are on, Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

Vantage Point is more of the film taking different views from the same scene at the start of the film.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Check out the Japanese film A Snake of June. You see the same events from differing viewpoints and what you first think you're wrong.

Regards

Mark
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

If you like that sort of thing, 'Sliding Doors' is worth a watch.

Two difference life scenarios, simply because of missing a tube train in one instance, but not missing it in the second instance.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120148/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rashomon is based around that concept.

Mulholland Drive too has a lot of scenes of dialogue that take on a different meaning after you've seen the last part of the film.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a lighter vein, the Castle episode 47 Seconds is about reconstructing the events leading up to an explosion, and how different interpretations of the evidence lead to different suspects. Castle episodes are often homages to films so this one probably is too.
  • Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life Is Beautiful. Guido portrays everything happening in the concentration camp as a game to Joshua...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y9aKqawdUQ

...even his death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-13ScnosXAk
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a film called 4321, and the film is set in 4 different parts

It all surrounds 4 girls getting invovled in a robbery of diamonds and we see the same events of the film played out different from each girl's point of view and how they all connect with previous scenes before.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    King of the Hill - A Firefighting We Will Go

STTNG- A Matter of Perspective

Lost, season 5, the conversation at the marina was shown several times over a number of episodes. Each time the conversation was slightly different depending on the perspective of the character the episode was focusing on.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeanMint wrote: »
    There is an X-Files episode that has different perspectives on a particular case Mulder and Scully are on, Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

Vantage Point is more of the film taking different views from the same scene at the start of the film.

Is that the episode where they describe the sheriff differently? Great episode if it is.
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a TV movie called In Your Dreams with Thandie Newton which details a rape case in court and shows different perspectives of what happened. Some off the differences are quite subtle such as what each person remembers someone wearing.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an episode of the simpsons called bart of darkness that was a parody of rear window. bart sees and hears what he thinks is ned flanders murdering his wife, and then at the end its revealed what ned was really doing.
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - opens with one withdrawn woman in hospital; what happened to the other two?
    Fight Club (1999) - two contrasting characters create an underground combat scene
    Life of Pi (2011) - shipwrecked guy shares a life boat with a tiger and other animals
    Les Diaboliques(1955) - two women plot to kill an abusive husband.
    Vertigo (1958) - former cop fails to save the deluded sucidal wife of an old school friend