How do Liverpool fans feel about Kenny Dalglish as a manager now?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not only managerial stability that they've had, but also, stability in terms of players.

I think that can be taken for granted.

People baulk at Kenny's transfers, but when you look at how many players he let go, bringing in 77 million... he was almost forced to bring in new players.

If anyone can be blamed for the buying British thing, it's almost certainly our new board. It was their idea for this whole buying young British players thing.

True and the instability of playing squads can cause trouble for any experienced manager- just look at Wenger over the past few seasons. It certainly looks like AFC will be in the CL for something like the 15th or 16th season running again next season. They've managed only two title challenges , up until March at least , since they last won the PL in 2004 though. Partly like us in 2009 I believe , some of that was down to Chelseas managerial revolving door stopping them being the main challengers to utd.

Still no trophy since 2005 for AW though. I suppose it grates me a bit about modern football and the importance of a top four finish above some silverware. Are Arsenal or Spurs and us under Rafa , happy enough to finish 3rd or 4th and not be too concerned about clinching the title. You get more prize money for being no1 in the table come May but did Rafa and now Wenger and 'Arry for example have a sense of realism about their clubs. In that battling Utds current know how and still decent spending power , along with City and Chelseas millions , is a bridge too far to actually winning the league.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KD won't be fired. The club have too much respect for him. I suspect he will be, if not has been already, told that it might be wise to make an announcement at the end of the season signaling his intention to revert back into the upstairs/ambassadorial role he had before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely see your point here. There have been many of us who have been perfectly civil, and actually written some quite long, well-reasoned posts..in response to these threads, and in response, we are often called deluded or whatever..

Of course alan, we just have a victim complex..;).

I think I'd rather that than " 20 years of spoilt brat teams success" syndrome . I might not shed a tear if the generation who've only known consistent success at the club they support , have karma biting them back if their next managerial appointment goes spectacularly wrong:D
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True and the instability of playing squads can cause trouble for any experienced manager- just look at Wenger over the past few seasons. It certainly looks like AFC will be in the CL for something like the 15th or 16th season running again next season. They've managed only two title challenges , up until March at least , since they last won the PL in 2004 though. Partly like us in 2009 I believe , some of that was down to Chelseas managerial revolving door stopping them being the main challengers to utd.

Still no trophy since 2005 for AW though. I suppose it grates me a bit about modern football and the importance of a top four finish above some silverware. Are Arsenal or Spurs and us under Rafa , happy enough to finish 3rd or 4th and not be too concerned about clinching the title. You get more prize money for being no1 in the table come May but did Rafa and now Wenger and 'Arry for example have a sense of realism about their clubs. In that battling Utds current know how and still decent spending power , along with City and Chelseas millions , is a bridge too far to actually winning the league.

I'm not bothered about 4th. I want us to be challenging for the title.

I want us to be winning things. I won't say no to winning a cup or two, but I'm equally not happy about finishing outside of the top 4..because we're no where near challenging for the league.

If we were to finish 7th, and have both the league and F.A cup..it does give us something to build on for next season.

I think Kenny definitely wanted to bring some kind of winning mentality back, but our season has been derailed for various reasons.

Losing Lucas, which meant Adam and Henderson have had to play in roles that don't suit them...losing Agger, which has left us defensively weaker...not having Johnson/Kelly, which again, causes us problems defensively...

I also think Reina hasn't been at his best this season, which hasn't helped.

The whole Suarez saga, and then not having him available also caused us problems.

Bellamy has probably been our best player this season..and he can only play a handful of games..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you wrote: »
    His press conferences and media interviews are pointless. He's so narky and defensive, you empathise with the person asking the questions which rarely happens.

He's even banned Dan Roan(BBC reporter) from attending his press conferences. Kenny is cracking up and Liverpool fans know it.

Maybe he'll have a sulk and not speak to the bbc for a number of years like a fellow manager. Or storm out of a conference when asked about any European failure in the future.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely see your point here. There have been many of us who have been perfectly civil, and actually written some quite long, well-reasoned posts..in response to these threads, and in response, we are often called deluded or whatever..

Of course alan, we just have a victim complex..;).

A couple of the posters in this thread are basing their posting style on Adrian Durham on talksport. I do wonder if it's passed them by that he's paid to be provocative with his views and acts accordingly though:D;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not bothered about 4th. I want us to be challenging for the title.

I want us to be winning things. I won't say no to winning a cup or two, but I'm equally not happy about finishing outside of the top 4..because we're no where near challenging for the league.

If we were to finish 7th, and have both the league and F.A cup..it does give us something to build on for next season.

I think Kenny definitely wanted to bring some kind of winning mentality back, but our season has been derailed for various reasons.

Losing Lucas, which meant Adam and Henderson have had to play in roles that don't suit them...losing Agger, which has left us defensively weaker...not having Johnson/Kelly, which again, causes us problems defensively...

I also think Reina hasn't been at his best this season, which hasn't helped.

The whole Suarez saga, and then not having him available also caused us problems.

Bellamy has probably been our best player this season..and he can only play a handful of games..

Yeah , yeah but all clubs have had injuries and have dealt with them. Suarez should've been sold in the Jan window and KD should've been sacked..........................

;)

is probably what we're going to hear in this thread from others quite soon. Who can apparently mind read how LFC should go about its business , including how our previous manager would'e turned us into world beaters now if only we'd given him more time!
  • Thank youThank you Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he'll have a sulk and not speak to the bbc for a number of years like a fellow manager. Or storm out of a conference when asked about any European failure in the future.:p

Face it, you've spent a tonne of cash on a load of incredibly mediocre players, You've just been outplayed by Wigan at home and are currently two points ahead the mighty Sunderland and Everton as well as being just three points ahead of 11th place. Progress indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Face it, you've spent a tonne of cash on a load of incredibly mediocre players, You've just been outplayed by Wigan at home and are currently two points ahead the mighty Sunderland and Everton as well as being just three points ahead of 11th place. Progress indeed.

Where have I denied that being the case. I envy your ability to predict the future and that this is how things will always be with KD in charge. It's called being patient and supporting your club through thick and thin. Being told what we already know by those who sit in their teams ivory tower of success is something to generally be ignored.

If you go around anywhere in life telling others what they should be thinking and having hissy fits when they disagree with you , then it's time to move on to issues that do effect you and yours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where have I denied that being the case. I envy your ability to predict the future and that this is how things will always be with KD in charge. It's called being patient and supporting your club through thick and thin. Being told what we already know by those who sit in their teams ivory tower of success is something to generally be ignored.

If you go around anywhere in life telling others what they should be thinking and having hissy fits when they disagree with you , then it's time to move on to issues that do effect you and yours.

That's it though you and other Liverpool supporters are showing blind faith towards KD because of what he did for the football club. And that's after the £100m that Kenny has spent. Goes to show, if it was anybody else other than Dalglish in the hot seat, they'd be stoned on the streets of Liverpool by now.

KD is a footballing dinosaur, who is totally and utterly out of tune with the modern game.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a non Liverpool fan, I think that if KD is given 2 or 3 yrs more to mould the team, he will be able to challenge for the title.

Regarding his "flop" purchases, all of them should be given the time to bed down, although the one that I would be most worried about would be Carrol, as he needs the service required to start scoring....
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    That's it though you and other Liverpool supporters are showing blind faith towards KD because of what he did for the football club. And that's after the £100m that Kenny has spent. Goes to show, if it was anybody else other than Dalglish in the hot seat, they'd be stoned on the streets of Liverpool by now.

KD is a footballing dinosaur, who is totally and utterly out of tune with the modern game.

He isn't. He's simply facing the problem that previous Liverpool managers suffered. Lack of league consistency. He's won one cup already this season. They are in the semi final of another. If he was truly out of touch, that would not have occured.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    As a non Liverpool fan, I think that if KD is given 2 or 3 yrs more to mould the team, he will be able to challenge for the title.

Regarding his "flop" purchases, all of them should be given the time to bed down, although the one that I would be most worried about would be Carrol, as he needs the service required to start scoring....

Woo-hoo at last in this thread.
    Thank you for the constructive criticism:)
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'd rather that than " 20 years of spoilt brat teams success" syndrome . I might not shed a tear if the generation who've only known consistent success at the club they support , have karma biting them back if their next managerial appointment goes spectacularly wrong:D

C'mon now, you know you don't really think that?;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He isn't. He's simply facing the problem that previous Liverpool managers suffered. Lack of league consistency. He's won one cup already this season. They are in the semi final of another. If he was truly out of touch, that would not have occured.

Alex McLeish won the "cup" last year.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still fully behind Kenny. That's all I gotta say about the matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'll jump ship at the end of the season if results stay the same and Everton beat them in the semi. Liverpool could be as low as ninth come Sunday evening 11 points behind Newcastle. :eek:
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    No, it's not ignored, but rather put into context. He's won trophies in Sweden and Denmark. However in the more demanding European leagues, he's won nothing. Elsewhere he's lost two UEFA Cup finals, and got Switzerland to the second round of the World Cup nearly two decades ago.
    He's won nothing in the more demanding leagues because he hasn been't given enough time. The leagues in countries like Sweden and Denmark may be considered easy to win compared to the PL but all great managers have to start small and prove their worth at small clubs or small leagues. Alex Ferguson got onto Man utd's radar by winning the SPL several times with Aberdeen. He got the Man utd job and began his reign with a 2-0 defeat to Oxford utd. For years he won nothing but because the board stayed patient with him, he rewarded them with the FA cup and then the league and cup titles flooded in. If Blackburn and and Liverpool had been more patient, who knows what would've happened.
    Liverpool are a big club. He blew it. He got the Inter job, but so have many others. The owner is notorious for quickfire hiring and firing of managers.
    But did he blow it? I just don't think you can call someone a failure after just a few months. Again, think about Ferguson and the many dissapointing seasons he had at Man U before he won anything at all.
    McClaren is one of those managers who's successes are basically flashes in the pan. A cup at Boro, a title at Twente etc....but capable of crashing and burning too (eg: Wolfsberg). When pushed above their station, they struggle (eg: England). Guys like Hodgson are not suited for anything above a 11th-20th place club who have expectations no higher than avoiding relegation. He's a journeyman manager. Nothing more.
    Again, flash in the pan or someone who wasn't given the time and space at Boro like Fergie had been at Man U? As for Wolfsberg, well I think you know by now what I think of teams who sack managers after less than a full season. Also, his return to Twente is already a success again so far, proving his previous league and cup successes with them were no flash in the pan.
    Or his words needlessly encouraged Northampton.
    Possibly, but then what else was he supposed to say? "I've seen the Cobblers in action and I have to say, they sure as hell live up to their name"?