Tony Livesey on Five Live

Does anyone else find him as dull as dishwater? His voice is so BORING, his show is the aural equivalent of beige. At least Richard Bacon sounded lively and interesting. I've had to stop listening to that show, which is a real shame as I used to enjoy it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    I actually think he is rather good. Not in the same league as Peter Allen though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that it has been most pleasant to have a sensible discussion taking place.

Something you didn't hear with Bacon.

Bacon is now in the right slot i.e. when I have other things to listen to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am finding Tony's show pretty boring to be honest.

The late-night slot when it was held by both Anita Annand and Richard Bacon was lively while at the same time having some intelligent discussions.

I feel Tony needs to necognize the audience that is listening at that time of night and modify his style slightly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with Tony but would like to see his show have more of his personality stamped on it. It sounds too much like the previous person's programme and they refer too much to him. He's no longer doing it so lets just start afresh.

But it has improved and is more of a pleasure to listen to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problem with Tony, miles better than Bacon but if we are going back into the past presenters Fi Glover was the BEST!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it but it doesn't work as being in two places sounds odd.
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    He's the weekday equivalent of the tiresome Stephen Nolan.
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    Roy Batty wrote: »
    Does anyone else find him as dull as dishwater? His voice is so BORING, his show is the aural equivalent of beige. At least Richard Bacon sounded lively and interesting. I've had to stop listening to that show, which is a real shame as I used to enjoy it.

He's in the same league as Victoria Derbyshire, Anita Anand, Stephen Noland and Dotun Adebayo :rolleyes:
  • WhovianWhovian Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a guest in Tony's show when he was at Radio Lancs - he is a good interviewer and was very popular in the Breakfast Show slot. Really nice fella too (even if he does support Burnley lol)!
  • k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God I can listen to radio 5 at night again.
    Bacon - good riddance.
    Now just get rid of that whining fool Nick Cosgrove.
  • wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hes running a buy british piece.

the bbc are running a lot of 'soft patriotism' programmes across its stations and telly.

interesting how the corporation/govt is trying to make the brits more nationalsitic .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k-bola wrote: »
    Thank God I can listen to radio 5 at night again.
    Bacon - good riddance.
    Now just get rid of that whining fool Nick Cosgrove.

Well, most of my listening to Radio 5 is approx 10.30pm onwards and as you say I feel that I can turn the station on again and survive more than a few minutes before looking for another station or something else to do.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Unlike many of the childish contributions to the Bacon-bashing on another thread, I'm prepared to give his night-time replacement a chance. Livesley has only just started on that slot and had a big role to fill. To start with he's been trying to win over the current audience, and I'm sure he'll develop his own style given time.

I had feared the worst but he seems a perfectly competent presenter at the moment who will probably improve once he gets used to the slot. A lot like many of the other presenters who have been given different timeslots recently.
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony is one of the hardest working presenters the beeb has.

those people outside the north west will not be aware he also fronts the tv show "north west tonight" most evenings, and also did this when he was on brekky at radio lancs..........makes for long days!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having access to Sky's platform I have watched Tony and I'm outside the area his work is intended.

When he filled in for Nolan on Radio 5 at weekends I would have happily had Tony doing so.

I am sure that he'll do well and the weak links are those who he is being surrounded with unless as suggested this is to ease the previous audience into listening to him and help him but Tony could do this programme on his own as proven by the weekend show. As long as he can call on a mixture of correspondents and callers.

From the people Radio 5 has available in it's stable at present he is probably a wise choice.
  • PausePause Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all, I like Tony Livesey (Liveseh). I think he's a good choice and over time, he'll get better as he grows more and more into the role. However...

[Rant]

I have a problem with the role of Rachael Hodges - why is she in my ears for nearly three hours? I'm sure she's a lovely person and I know Richard Bacon gave have her a bit of freedom on his late night show, but now it's like they've created a monster and she's single handedly dominating late night Five Live like David Beckham single handedly dominated that Greece team in that crucial World Cup Qualifier in 2001.

Livesey - for your own sake - minimize her role. When I tune in to Drive, I expect to hear Peter Allen and Anita Anand - that's what the trailers say. However, despite being advertised as '10.30pm - Tony Livesey', it seems more like '10.30pm - Rachael Hodges and Tony Livesey'.

[/Rant]

I didn't like having to say that because it felt like kicking an innocent kitten. Repeatedly.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you about Rachel Hodges, Pause. I also think they need to ditch Nick Cosgrove. Maybe they kept them to smooth the transition for Tony, but it was a mistake. Even though I find him dull and boring, he needs to make the show his own.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    I agree with you about Rachel Hodges, Pause. I also think they need to ditch Nick Cosgrove. Maybe they kept them to smooth the transition for Tony, but it was a mistake. Even though I find him dull and boring, he needs to make the show his own.

I disagree with those who don't like these two, I find them entertaining, but I do see a point in Tony having to make the show his own.
  • slimjimslimjim Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, same here. Very dull and provincial. I don't think he'll last long.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he's boring but actually, I'm finding him quite good. I always put the radio on to fall asleep too. Bacon was too annoying and kept me awake, with Livesy I'm sound asleep in no time at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slimjim wrote: »
    Very dull and provincial.

Better get used to it once 5 Live moves to Manchester.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, are Rachel and Nick coming live from Manchester or are they down the line in London?
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    tony is one of the hardest working presenters the beeb has.

those people outside the north west will not be aware he also fronts the tv show "north west tonight" most evenings, and also did this when he was on brekky at radio lancs..........makes for long days!

He does two shows at once on Mondays because he does the Late Kick Off programme on BBC One at 11:35.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard/seen him on R Lancashire, BBC NW Tonight and 5 Live and I haven't liked him on any of them.

His voice just makes me want to turn off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's settling in well. Could he take over from Nolan as well?