BT Mobile Broadband shuts it doors

Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
Forum Member
BT has stopped its Prepay Mobile Broadband and related Residential mobile services to new customers.

Currently, it roams onto Vodafone's network as BT does not have a network.

This may have been done for a number of reasons:

BT and Vodafone's relationship declined? Since Vodafone acquired Cable and Wireless Worldwide, Vodafone is now BT's biggest rival. BT have recently begun working with O2 in migrating O2's network backhaul from Vodafone's Cable and Wireless.

BT's 4G spectrum would likely lead to a similar new improved 4G variant of Mobile Broadband without the need of Vodafone.

BT maybe finding it profitable pushing its excellent and well covered Wifi service which broadcasts from thousands of Telephone boxes,Cafe's,retail stores,hotels and many more.

Comments

• The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    BT have already ruled out using 2600 for 'mobile broadband' so to speak, think it was for a more fixed service in rural areas.

I'm yet to know anyone who used BT Mobile.. So could it just be they didn't find it worthwhile (subscribers wise) and with the C&W issue and the real Networks becoming stricter with the virtual networks in general, decided to end it the product?
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Well I have a BT Mobile Broadband dongle and sim card.

It is no longer possible to top up as the feature has been removed from 'My BT'.

There hasn't been a feature top up over the phone now for some time. Dialling 150 from the BT sim takes you to BT residential customer services which never recognises the mobile number.

Therefore the sim and account is unusable.