Wonder how MS's PR bosses and product development teams feel now?

Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody like to speculate on that one?

They will be fully aware of the backlash over the XBOX one reveal.

I'm not that blinkered that I can't see through all the media/TV stuff they focused on, to see that the Xbox one is still first and foremost a games console. But they seem to have their work cut out convincing a massive audience that believes MS are abandoning the games industry. :D

Comments

• ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Are they voluntarily leaving the industry?
  • heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It comes to something when for me, the most exciting feature of a new console is the HDMI pass through.....
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heyrehair wrote: »
    It comes to something when for me, the most exciting feature of a new console is the HDMI pass through.....

what's that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're probably not worried because E3 is coming up to show the games. If the reaction is still bad after that then they'll be bricking it.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    what's that?

The HDMI pass through is how they did all that dull stuff with live TV - you plug your cable TV box HDMI out into the back of the XBOXone and then the xbox displays what is on the TV. It also can then take that and do the picture-in-picture (sorry, i mean "snap mode") stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heyrehair wrote: »
    You will be pressed to hear that that is US only at first then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I think there is a fair amount of sweating going on around pre owned disks ...

It's been cleverly worded so far in that 'It's still open to change' and 'Nothing firm has been set and we will be revealing it later'

I do believe they were almost testing the water with this, but even they cannot be blind to the backlash. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is and if any figures for pre orders of both machines are released. Seeing as shares in MS dropped yesterday and SONY's rose, it strikes me that MS are listening as it's ultimately now about money and shareholders love their money!!

On another note ... I have absolutely no idea why people are going on about the lack of games shown. At every opportunity MS said this is just a console launch and E3 will be for games ... seriously what part of that message are people not getting?
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably knew exactly how bad the backlash would be. But will expect the usual to happen, as in, we'll moan a lot at first, but get used to it, and then we bend over and deal with it. (no lube)
    Forum Member
    On another note ... I have absolutely no idea why people are going on about the lack of games shown. At every opportunity MS said this is just a console launch and E3 will be for games ... seriously what part of that message are people not getting?

It's not just the 'games'. It's the whole attitude to it.

The first thing MSFT show for the Xbox 1 was Kinect and TV integration. The enforcement of Kinect is not what core gamers want.

The specs are not geared the best for gaming. They are screwing the indie development scene in favor for big publishers etc, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Chparmar wrote: »
    It's not just the 'games'. It's the whole attitude to it.

The first thing MSFT show for the Xbox 1 was Kinect and TV integration. The enforcement of Kinect is not what core gamers want.

The specs are not geared the best for gaming. They are screwing the indie development scene in favor for big publishers etc, etc.

Now thats a different story all together ....

Clearly this machine is now competing with Apple and Google not just SONY, this is a mutli media machine appealing to the masses just not to sure they should be trying to appeal to that crowd when it's only us 'Gamers' who would even be interested in watching a console launch :D .... I don't dispute what you're saying, what I am disputing are the idiots continually going on about the lack of games on show ...
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I've noticed is that within hours of the PS4 reveal, loads of 3rd party devs came out and said how happy they were with the specs and how they were looking forward to seeing what they could do with the machine.

2 days on and I've not seen any reports of 3rd party devs praising the X1.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The will be telling themselves that they are right and of course they know what we want. At this stage they will be laughing it off.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    The HDMI pass through is how they did all that dull stuff with live TV - you plug your cable TV box HDMI out into the back of the XBOXone and then the xbox displays what is on the TV. It also can then take that and do the picture-in-picture (sorry, i mean "snap mode") stuff.

So that wouldn't work without running a cable box of some sort through it? Like if (for example) you only had Freeview?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    You will be pressed to hear that that is US only at first then.
    That should be pleased, not pressed. Bloody phones.
    Forum Member
    Now thats a different story all together ....

Clearly this machine is now competing with Apple and Google not just SONY, this is a mutli media machine appealing to the masses just not to sure they should be trying to appeal to that crowd when it's only us 'Gamers' who would even be interested in watching a console launch :D .... I don't dispute what you're saying, what I am disputing are the idiots continually going on about the lack of games on show ...

yeah, I see Apple and Google sweating. ;)

And it's also a big mistake calling this thing the 'Xbox One'. Is it competing with Xbox 360? :p Because the 360 might just be the better console.
    Pure arrogance on MSFT's part, I think so? They thought it would piss of Sony, by stating: it does not matter what series of Playstation consoles they are on, we can call it what the hell we want!

We don't care about Sony's Playstation legacy or the games industry is the message I got.

Also, after having the nerve of mocking the Playstation Meeting when Sony showed no box, they showed one big 1980s Sony betamax looking style console, in which half of the space inside the box is the fan!

MSFT really need to get with it here, with a reailty check.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they feel great considering how obvious it is they live in a bubble where criticism and fan backlash can't touch them. Every blatant mistake they make is right in their eyes and we're the ones in the wrong for questioning their genius.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they feel great considering how obvious it is they live in a bubble where criticism and fan backlash can't touch them. Every blatant mistake they make is right in their eyes and we're the ones in the wrong for questioning their genius.

And unfortunately there are a few people of these forums, who are acting like MS are still gods and all this is great
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Anybody like to speculate on that one?

They will be fully aware of the backlash over the XBOX one reveal.

I'm not that blinkered that I can't see through all the media/TV stuff they focused on, to see that the Xbox one is still first and foremost a games console. But they seem to have their work cut out convincing a massive audience that believes MS are abandoning the games industry. :D

The backlash is quite amazing, mostly due to the media itself who shape the majority of gamer's opinions, though not all of it is negative of course and there's some genuinely balanced coverage of the system itself, along with it's unique features.

I think while it's tiring to read the Sony fanboy ramblings, it's only a good thing tbh, the message is clear that we want a strong showing of games at E3. This if nothing else will push them to do just that (even though MS insisted they were doing it anyway). :D
  • stealthstu007stealthstu007 Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Standard UK freeview boxes only run a scart lead, so that would be that option alienated if it is HDMI only, some people dont want Sky or Virgin so as a result it is a useless option.

To be fair i think it's useless anyway, if i want to watch my virgin box i will turn my console off and watch. the Xbox one controller will not have every option available on the remote, so, from my understanding you would have to switch to allow the remote to work anyway.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The backlash is quite amazing, mostly due to the media itself who shape the majority of gamer's opinions
    I think while it's tiring to read the Sony fanboy ramblings

Two very patronising statements IMO! The majority of gamers can think for themselves and don't like what Microsoft are peddling with this thing (based on a presentation directly given out by MS btw, not "the media") and I guess you've missed the bajillion Xbox 360 "fanboys" who are swaying Sony's way because they seem to be offering a better product so far?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Chparmar wrote: »
    Also, after having the nerve of mocking the Playstation Meeting when Sony showed no box, they showed one big 1980s Sony betamax looking style console, in which half of the space inside the box is the fan!

MSFT really need to get with it here, with a reailty check.

My SL-HF950 is much better looking than that!
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Two very patronising statements IMO! The majority of gamers can think for themselves and don't like what Microsoft are peddling with this thing (based on a presentation directly given out by MS btw, not "the media") and I guess you've missed the bajillion Xbox 360 "fanboys" who are swaying Sony's way because they seem to be offering a better product so far?

Gamers can think for themselves? yet you seem to be speaking for an awful lot of them. I'm not denying the opposition to MS unveiling but I do find it slightly puzzling at best and a massive overreaction at worse. I can't say I have noticed the "bajillion" 360 fans moving over to Sony since most rational people understand E3 is only two weeks away and MS have promised a lot. It's only the fanboys making a lot of noise right now.

You'll have to elaborate on why Sony are offering the better product because to me the games MS showed already look better, as did the controller, as did the operating system. I even like the look of the machine. If I'm in the minority then I accept that, it's just how I see things.

This time last gen we saw a very similar picture, so much was promised of the PS3, even to the point where a lot of people thought MS were out of the race, in some cases even reputable websites like Eurogamer wrote whole articles where they felt the two machines were even a generation apart. This was all based on Sony's hype, they've always done marketing and PR a lot better, but I'm yet to be let down by MS in reality.

in essence the whole entire discussion is a waste of time, it's simply a case of wait and see.
    Forum Member

This time last gen we saw a very similar picture, so much was promised of the PS3, even to the point where a lot of people thought MS were out of the race, in some cases even reputable websites like Eurogamer wrote whole articles where they felt the two machines were even a generation apart. This was all based on Sony's hype, they've always done marketing and PR a lot better, but I'm yet to be let down by MS in reality.

in essence the whole entire discussion is a waste of time, it's simply a case of wait and see.

There is no PR hype from Sony. In fact people were underwhelmed by the Playstation Meeting.

It's what Sony's actions and its attitude and commitment to gaming which is getting through to the early adopter/core gamer.

Sony built the PS4 for gaming from the ground up, using off the shelf PC parts. MSFT is also using off the shelf PC parts, but is aiming for the 'one' multimedia experience.
    Even MSFT have said that the Xbox 1 is not aimed for high-end graphics.

Sure there are a few fanboys around, but mostly fanboyism is so last gen.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This reveal for Microsoft is like the $599 price for the PS3 and Sony telling people to get another job to pay for it, MS seem to have this same attitude to its customers at the moment.

Xbox One launch felt a bit "look at all these gimmick, they're cool because we say they are cool"

Sony PS4 launch felt a bit "sorry we dropped the ball on PS3"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, and I also find it a bit weird that people are writing off a console before even seeing the games.