Cross ref. Silence in the Library/ Forest of the Dead with the Bells of St john

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
Forum Member
✭✭
Can we get meta here and point out the obvious similarities which will probs be deliberate?

The spoonheads are a little bit node like, not my spot stolen from the grauniad.

The line "I don't know where I am, can somebody tell me where I am." Or approx that... And the mention of data ghosts.

The idea of uploading people to computer data banks.

Any other spots?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm one to think about. For me there were more similarities with The Idiot's Lantern, including the bike ride.

Where SitL is concerned..."I'm sorry. Who are you ??", The Doc not knowing River.
    Spoonheads = Suited Vashta Nerada.

Next week's will be interesting to compare to The Beast Below.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you being arbitrary or serious about the beast below? That was the second ep of 5 though wasn't it though so I can see why you could compare... I just feel a little bit like Moffat is trying to leave us a trail of breadcrumbs again... Just hoping they lead home to a solution rather than the oven at the witch's house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    Are you being arbitrary or serious about the beast below? That was the second ep of 5 though wasn't it though so I can see why you could compare... I just feel a little bit like Moffat is trying to leave us a trail of breadcrumbs again... Just hoping they lead home to a solution rather than the oven at the witch's house.

Serious about The Beast Below. From the trailer there seems to be a lot of similarities in the scenario and characters. The Beast Below was very metaphoric for the full Silence arc, including things still to come, so it will be interesting to see if that's done again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    Serious about The Beast Below. From the trailer there seems to be a lot of similarities in the scenario and characters. The Beast Below was very metaphoric for the full Silence arc, including things still to come, so it will be interesting to see if that's done again.

That makes sense. Same time same place next week then? lol
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    And he demands the release of anyone uploaded even though it`ll mean their deaths, as it`d be a release from a horrible existence.
    Like the one he left River in then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And he demands the release of anyone uploaded even though it`ll mean their deaths, as it`d be a release from a horrible existence.

well no because she's not unsure of where she is or uploaded against her will... plus it's better than death which she'd accepted.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

No - nothing like the River situation. They were forcibly uploaded to feed the Great Intelligence, without their knowledge, and with them not knowing what's going on, where they are, or any way of changing their surroundings.

River was uploaded, full scale, into a 'play' area, with the knowledge and ability to do anything she wants to. And not as food for the Great Intelligence.

Very not the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I still don't think that's a proper place for river, she should have been left with some guns and handcuffs somewhere, not to babysit fake kids :/ with an archeology crew whom it doesn't seem like she knew very well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the fake kids were programmed as company for CAL I think she has access to any book she's probably a big reader... we know she's an author.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't get a choice 10 decided to upload her soul to "save" her. She sacraficed herself for 10 to save their future "marriage". 11 hasn't told her what is coming for them both. Her death and his "fall" at trenzalore.Plus being in the library means she will never be with Rory or Amy again wherever their souls went too. She was denied a natural death from old age. Would 11 or 12 have really loved and cared for her untill that happened ?. Bit like in Highlander Connor and Heather. River "adopted" CAL,Ella and Joshua because she wanted to be a mum. She didn't get to have a child of her own when "alive" so it was the next best thing. Where was CALS mother and siblings ?. Also why wasn't her father restored along with Dr Moon and everyonelse ?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because no one in the future knew how to upload people till CAL did it I assume.