Foyle's War

FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
Forum Member
Relieved to see each of the new stories will be shown in one go over 2 hours when it returns next month.

Just makes it even more of a mystery why ITV continue to butcher Lewis by showing a 2 hour episode over 2 weeks.

Comments

• roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they "New" ? the ones I keep recording are old stuff.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »

Yeah new eps start Sunday 4th January 8pm-10pm on itv
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep three new stories
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »

All brand new. 3 stories. If you look at the latest TV mags (though only 2 are out today I think) there's a pic on the cover of Foyle and Sam. You wouldn't get that if they were repeats. :)
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ta!.........................
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV bods take note - Watched none of your tatty Xmas output and this will be the first time I've pressed "3" in weeks.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Boring, bring back dancing on ice, i miss i
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Poor trolling
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »

It isnt boring but I do miss dancing on Ice too and Wild at Heart.

Really interesting ep
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First time viewer to Foyle's here. Got interested due to the London sites shown in the previews; not too bad, so far. Just realised that the American's dad is the guy from the US sitcom Frasier (John Mahoney?). Nice to see him again.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Relieved to see each of the new stories will be shown in one go over 2 hours when it returns next month.

Just makes it even more of a mystery why ITV continue to butcher Lewis by showing a 2 hour episode over 2 weeks.

Kevin W said in an interview recently that they were shot as two-hours and then they heard some suit at ITV had decided viewers would not sustain their interest for two hours so they were chopped into hour-long episodes.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    First time viewer to Foyle's here. Got interested due to the London sites shown in the previews; not too bad, so far. Just realised that the American's dad is the guy from the US sitcom Frasier (John Mahoney?). Nice to see him again.

It's terrific ! When you've watched these new episodes, go back & watch all the previous series. you'll really enjoy them.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Kevin W said in an interview recently that they were shot as two-hours and then they heard some suit at ITV had decided viewers would not sustain their interest for two hours so they were chopped into hour-long episodes.

Some of the suits at ITV really are in the wrong job, they actually do think we are as stupid and braid dead as some of the dross they air.

Lewis is far better as a two hour film that split over two weeks, and why do they feel we lack the intelligence or staying power for two hours of Lewis but we can for Midsomer and X Factor ?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morse was two hours and a huge success, sold round the world, as was Lewis.

A friend was an extra in a Lewis episode being shot on the river bank in Oxford (long take) when a boatload of Japanese tourists went past and started shouting ''Lewis, Lewis''. Kevin wasn't amused:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode
  • alintonalinton Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    It was good, but not a patch on the former wartime Foyle's.

Gone from a charming, simple series to a very complicated plot with international espionage etc.

Pity.

I saw an old ep the other day, it was far better.
  • malspiemalspie Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »

They actually filmed a lot of it in Liverpool. Went for a mini break last year and all the crew were there.
    Forum Member

Wonder if they explained to him how they came to that conclusion after 6 series over 5 years of showing episodes over 2 hours?!

I mean, the whole point IS that like Poirot and Midsomer and Morse and Frost and Foyle's War ... they're all 2 hour stories, intended to be shown over 2 hours!

I can't watch Lewis now before both episodes are recorded so I can watch it as was intended.
    Forum Member
    Morse was two hours and a huge success, sold round the world, as was Lewis.

A friend was an extra in a Lewis episode being shot on the river bank in Oxford (long take) when a boatload of Japanese tourists went past and started shouting ''Lewis, Lewis''. Kevin wasn't amused:D

Morse was the first ever to be shown over 2 hours. All followed from Morse.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Some of the suits at ITV really are in the wrong job, they actually do think we are as stupid and braid dead as some of the dross they air.

Lewis is far better as a two hour film that split over two weeks, and why do they feel we lack the intelligence or staying power for two hours of Lewis but we can for Midsomer and X Factor ?

I record Lewis and watch it as a single show. How do they expect me to remember detail for a whole week? Lol.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if they explained to him how they came to that conclusion after 6 series over 5 years of showing episodes over 2 hours?!

I mean, the whole point IS that like Poirot and Midsomer and Morse and Frost and Foyle's War ... they're all 2 hour stories, intended to be shown over 2 hours!

I can't watch Lewis now before both episodes are recorded so I can watch it as was intended.

On BBC they seem to put two one-hour episodes on following days which actually works.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alinton wrote: »

Gone from a charming, simple series to a very complicated plot with international espionage etc.

Pity.

Yes. I agree with you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    On BBC they seem to put two one-hour episodes on following days which actually works.

They do that with silent witness
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately this programme cannot sustain my interest even for one hour!, never mind two!............

alinton wrote: »

Gone from to a very complicated plot with international espionage etc. a charming, simple series

Pity.

I have to agree with you here!.......I loved Foyles War and watched all of the series through the war but!.. Oh I am finding this a bit heavy going since the war ended and he went to work for the Home Office?...... Not too keen on Sam being married to the councillor either and being pregnant!... how is her part going to stay in the job/series? I am wondering!, I always thought she would eventually marry Foyles son so I am disappointed at her storyline completely!................

As to the storylines with the Russians and the Cold War!............. it does start in as complicated and takes quite a bit into the storyline before thinfs 'click' and you know what's going on!..... Or is that just me and you?. alinton!.......:D

A nice uncomplicated easy to watch series!,,,,, gone very complicated!.....
  • VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did go through a period of splitting Midsomer repeats into two sections.

Most of the DS Poirot episodes are only (nominally) one hour.

My approach, too.