The Daily Show coming back to the UK..

ShadowlandsShadowlands Posts: 1,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Nice to see that Comedy Central UK have brought the rights to the nightly edition of The Daily Show, it'll be showing it at 10:30pm from July 23rd, the day after the US broadcast.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic news. Hope it does well and they consider bringing Colbert back too.
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedy Central Extra, not Comedy Central.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely fantastic news. I've been downloading it ever since More4 dropped it but this is great news. It'll be good to see it back on my sky planner again after such a long time.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, that's terrific. Thanks for the heads up :) I have missed this show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually remember when I used to have this on series link with Virgin. They adjusted it slightly so that the global edition was ignored and the new episodes on Tuesday to Friday were the only ones picked up for the series link. very handy :)
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Good news.
  • tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRILLIANT! now can they put it on something I can watch without having to line Murdoch's pockets?
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news. I can't really understand why More4 dropped it (well, obviously I can - presumably the ratings weren't good enough). Surely the rights can't have been that expensive, if Comedy Central can afford it.

Now if only someone could bring us the Late Show with David Letterman, the Colbert Report and Real Time with Bill Maher...

...oh, and Louis CK's new sitcom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the rights can't have been that expensive, if Comedy Central can afford it.

Well I would have thought that since Comedy Central US produce the show that it would be a matter of course for Comedy Central UK to pick the rights up at a snip.
  • OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news. I can't really understand why More4 dropped it (well, obviously I can - presumably the ratings weren't good enough). Surely the rights can't have been that expensive, if Comedy Central can afford it.

Now if only someone could bring us the Late Show with David Letterman, the Colbert Report and Real Time with Bill Maher...

...oh, and Louis CK's new sitcom

Those are all on different networks. Those negotiations would be next to impossible. Letterman used to be on late on ITV but surprisingly few wanted to stay up until 3 am to watch it.

If Sky Atlantic don't have Real Time, it's because they don't want it.

If Louie is not on FX, it's because they don't want it.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those are all on different networks. Those negotiations would be next to impossible. Letterman used to be on late on ITV but surprisingly few wanted to stay up until 3 am to watch it.

If Sky Atlantic don't have Real Time, it's because they don't want it.

If Louie is not on FX, it's because they don't want it.

Yes, I sort of worked all that out by myself. This was more of an ideal wish-list, rather than a realistic proposition.
  • OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I sort of worked all that out by myself. This was more of an ideal wish-list, rather than a realistic proposition.

Fair enough. There are ways to watch those shows but given your disposition I assume you already watch them anyway as I do.

I myself would prefer something more akin to Colbert Report and Real Time but for the UK. I find Question Time valuable and I realise that 10 O'Clock live is meant to do that but I feel like lack a real incisive but funny personality over here for the job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comedy Central Extra, not Comedy Central.

So it wont be in HD then?::(

Wasn't an international version of The Daily Show shown late night / early morning on CNN?

Personally I was hoping the when Paramount Comedy changed its name to Comedy Central we would see more of Comedy Central’s US output but instead we get the occasional new US show surrounded by repeat programs from BBC and C4.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I was hoping the when Paramount Comedy changed its name to Comedy Central we would see more of Comedy Central’s US output but instead we get the occasional new US show surrounded by repeat programs from BBC and C4.:(

yeah i was hoping the same but instead they seem to love showing repeats, rather than taking a few risks with US content.
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough. There are ways to watch those shows but given your disposition I assume you already watch them anyway as I do.

I myself would prefer something more akin to Colbert Report and Real Time but for the UK. I find Question Time valuable and I realise that 10 O'Clock live is meant to do that but I feel like lack a real incisive but funny personality over here for the job.

Question Time is a must watch for me - it's often the funniest thing on TV that week.

As the Jimmy Carr incident showed, most of the political satire in this country is wafer thin. Most comedians set themselves up against the bigwigs and fatcats, but the fact is it's all for show.

Out of the entire 10 O'Clock show line-up, David Mitchell is the only one I would trust to present a show that treats politics without being partisan for the sake of it. I love Charlie Brooker's work but he's more interested in milking a situation than shining a light on what's really going on. Those Jimmy Carr sketches make me cringe - I just skip them now. Even assuming you find them funny, is that the best way to use your time on a show we can assume is a homage to The Daily Show?

But the real difference between US and UK politics is that the US is deeply divided on political lines, a situation exacerbated by media-drawn battle-lines with both sides hrling lies at each other. Our media, in general is a lot more rational and well-mannered so there isn't the same need to lampoon it.

tl:dr I would be giddy with glee if David Mitchell presented a Question Time like show on C4, without all the pointless gags the 10 O'Clock Show thinks the audience wants.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic news. Hope it does well and they consider bringing Colbert back too.

Colbert strikes me as more accessible to British audiences than the Daily Show. The humour is definitely more to my taste.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it wont be in HD then?::(

Wasn't an international version of The Daily Show shown late night / early morning on CNN?

No, it won't be in HD as Comedy Central Extra only has an SD channel.

The Daily Show Global Edition was shown on CNN at the weekends, but stopped a few years back. It can still be seen on More4 in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Colbert strikes me as more accessible to British audiences than the Daily Show. The humour is definitely more to my taste.

The Colbert Report was shown daily at 11pm in the UK on FX. But like all of these type of shows in the UK, it didn't last too long, just a year i think.

I think the bottom line is that these type of shows, whether its The Daily Show, Letterman or whatever, require a lot of effort from UK broadcasters. They have to 'receive' it everyday from the US, and then edit it to make it broadcast ready before they can put it out on air - every day of the week. Then when the ratings are lower than what they'd get for a rerun of an old sitcom (which is a cheaper option for them too) you can see why it never lasts.

Credit to CBNC though who have been doing it for years with Leno, Conan, and now Fallon.
  • pHopHo Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much the only person who does political comedy in the UK these days, and does a good job of it, is Mark Thomas. The rest either faded away or went to the States to make a career there... can you really blame them?

To get a show like The Armistice or any of Chris Morris' 90s productions back would be a godsend, but it's just not looking likely. I find British politics horribly depressing so having The Daily Show letting me laugh at people across the pond is probably for the best anyway.

(Australia's Chaser team is probably the closest to The Armistice in the way it works, definitely worth watching even if you don't know the politics).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Nice to see that Comedy Central UK have brought the rights to the nightly edition of The Daily Show, it'll be showing it at 10:30pm from July 23rd, the day after the US broadcast.
    I'd like to point out that July 23rd is a Monday, so I wonder what episode will be broadcast? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FreeBase wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that July 23rd is a Monday, so I wonder what episode will be broadcast? :confused:

Most likely the global edition
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen the trailers currently running for the show ? Some good stuff - Jon doing his impression of the Queen :D

It also ends with the Comedy Central Extra logo which says "Also in HD" so does it mean that Comedy Central Extra is going HD ??

Took a screenie as well as proof ..

http://oi50.tinypic.com/339jac4.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to be weird next week. I've been so used to downloading and watching this show for 18 months, it'll be strange to series link it all over again. but then that's just me :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad this back can't wait, hope it rates well but surely it would do better on CC than CCE?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad this back can't wait, hope it rates well but surely it would do better on CC than CCE?

I thought that as well but it makes me wonder if they're going to re-jig the CCE lineup overall ?