Is dying becoming a legitimate way to get through a game?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After playing through the first Bioshock and then infinite earlier this year and now playing through borderlands 1 and 2

I'm left asking myself is dying in some games becoming a better tactic than staying alive

When you die in these games you just respawn without any consequences, in fact you usually respawn next to a place you can buy ammo and other equipment

Also enemies don't come back after you respawn so rushing in headstrong becomes a better tactic than planning out how to take out each enemy

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are times in games when I have just jumped off a ledge to my death to recharge my health :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Megamind is a recent game I played that springs to mind, excuse the pun.

Before a boss fight, kill yourself and you're back to full health.

Sometimes in FPS games I'll just run as far as I can without shooting hoping I'll hit a checkpoint before dying.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In battlefield 3 I used to frequently suicide bomb tanks with c4

It's been a while since I played so I can't remember the exact scoring but it was like

2 x 100 points for a kill (as tanks frequently had a driver and a gunner who would both be killed)

200pts for destroying a tank

-100pt suicide.

I would still gain 300 pts by doing that (400 -100). At first I tried the conventional placing c4 and trying to run to a safe distance before detonating, but frequently I was shot in the back by the tanks gunner, or their teammate! So detonating as soon as I placed a couple of c4s was the best trick.

By dying I would lose pts, but I would gain so many I wasn't that concerned.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's because so many games checkpoint save, and no option to turn off. I prefer instant save, with so I can ration my saving.
    I just finished tomb raider. I liked it, but it somewhat took away the tension of the battles, knowing if I died it didn't matter much.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While playing 'The Last of Us' I was more determined than ever not to die. It's never bothered me before but in this game I felt like I was letting everybody else down and that I had to do everything in my means to survive. It's a testament to the game that it made me feel like this.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    There seems to be very little penalty for dying these days except for lost time.
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In some games, I'd say it's a resounding yes: 'that moment in Infinite' being a prime example.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't recommend dying on Demon Souls it sends you straight to Hell and is a bitch to get out of.
    I found that out the hard way.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see why some people would use this tactic. I don't, myself. I still get too annoyed at myself for making bad decisions that get me killed. I know that as my years advance I'm losing masses of hand-eye coordination, (I'm not as quick to react to things as I was just 2 or 3 years ago :eek:) I might have to resort to such methods.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In same games it is quicker to kill yourself and get the last check point to load than it is to pull up the pause menu and load from there.
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it may be there to 'keep things moving' during longer games. Not a tactic I would use though, dying sucks maaaan.

Another thing it reminds me of is really frequent saving. Hack a camera, save. etc...

I may be a bit more guilty of this one. I think I prefer it when you have fixed save points, stops me doing it!
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In L4D 2 killing a teammate on low health and defibing them to bring them back to half health was common. It usually backfired though because a horde came or you got pounced while trying to bring them back. :D
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    If you don't like dying in video games you probably don't want to be playing Limbo.

Regards

Mark
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    More than once in Zelda, if I've wanted to get back to the start of the dungeon it's been easier to get myself killed (or at least save and quit) knowing that on a restart I'd be back at the front door.
  • Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm playing Dead Island at the minute. Extremely repetitive and I might give up on it.

I've noticed that when you're killed the character simply regenerates with full health and any zombies that were disposed off stay gone. Makes the game simpler but removes the element of tension or need to plan an attack.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Hugh wrote: »
    I'm playing Dead Island at the minute. Extremely repetitive and I might give up on it.

I've noticed that when you're killed the character simply regenerates with full health and any zombies that were disposed off stay gone. Makes the game simpler but removes the element of tension or need to plan an attack.
    Are u playing the original game?. Have you got to the shaman mission yet?. You won't be complaining about that then lol
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I'm playing BO2 or MW2/3, I'll sometimes grenade myself so that I can use a rocket launcher at an aircraft if I don't have one on me at the time.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am guilty of running forward to a checkpoint especially in COD. I would say I am more annoyed by dying because of the time it takes in loading screen. i am playing Bioshock Infinite at the moment and honestly he loading screen is pretty long. People bitched and moaned about duke nukem but i dont think theres much in it timewise.
  • HelenThereseHelenTherese Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I find the load screens on Far Cry 3 to be almost interminable.

Soooo frustrating when you die within a minute of starting again and then having to wait for it to start back up from the checkpoint.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember dying in Borderlands was a pain in the arse because you don't regen any ammo and can get into a problem that way, you are resuscitated at the save point but it isn't back to your save as you've still lost everything you used since that save.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, to Mark's point, some games you have to die. I don't think you could get through Limbo without dying as often you only find out there's a deathtrap there is by stepping on it. All about trial and error; without error (usually death) you can't work out the solution.

Dying, in fact, is one of the best bits of that game. If you didn't get killed by a spider you missed out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    In battlefield 3 I used to frequently suicide bomb tanks with c4

By dying I would lose pts, but I would gain so many I wasn't that concerned.

I'd call that taking one for the team - a little different from dying simply to get full health.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mojobrew wrote: »
    I seem to remember dying in Borderlands was a pain in the arse because you don't regen any ammo and can get into a problem that way, you are resuscitated at the save point but it isn't back to your save as you've still lost everything you used since that save.

You also lose money for each death.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to have my gaming experience as realistic as possible so if I die even once, I don't play the game again as it isn't the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Yes, sometimes you have to die. And sometimes you have to die a couple of times. In my opinion the middle is the right way. Not dying = too easy, too often dying = too difficult. Failing a few times motivates me by the way and makes the gaming experience more intense.