Lana Del Rey/Barrie-James O'Neill - Summer Wine

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like some of Lana's work, but, unfortunately, this is a pointless exercise in vanity.

Its a note-for-note wannabee of the far superior original by Lee Hazelwood featuring Nancy Sinatra, it adds nothing to the original, or tries to offer anything different - boring and unnecessary Lana!

For those of you into Lana, check this out and discover where she gets alot of her inspiration from, particularly her sound...! Nancy & Lees work together and solo is worth discovering.:cool:

http://youtu.be/YiISrw2GTXE
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It's a faithful rendition for sure but I'm going to say something that may prove controversial - I think both Barrie-James and Lana sound better on this than Nancy and Lee sound on the original. Plus I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that Lana occasionally covers an old classic as I'm sure she's helping bring those old artists a new, younger audience.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    It's a faithful rendition for sure but I'm going to say something that may prove controversial - I think both Barrie-James and Lana sound better on this than Nancy and Lee sound on the original. Plus I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that Lana occasionally covers an old classic as I'm sure she's helping bring those old artists a new, younger audience.

I agree with that. The only reason I bought Nancy's greatest hits was because of Lana.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    It isn't the most groundbreaking cover, but it's very listenable and very suited to both of their singing styles. It's one of Lana's most convincing vocal performances.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh I like this. It has a country vibe. Love her boyfriends voice as well

Love how Lana is always treating fans to music, whether it's an old song recorded years ago or a cover.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    I like some of Lana's work, but, unfortunately, this is a pointless exercise in vanity.

Its a note-for-note wannabee of the far superior original by Lee Hazelwood featuring Nancy Sinatra, it adds nothing to the original, or tries to offer anything different - boring and unnecessary Lana!

For those of you into Lana, check this out and discover where she gets alot of her inspiration from, particularly her sound...! Nancy & Lees work together and solo is worth discovering.:cool:

http://youtu.be/YiISrw2GTXE

fully agree... prefer 'some velvet morning' though...
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh I like this. It has a country vibe. Love her boyfriends voice as well

Love how Lana is always treating fans to music, whether it's an old song recorded years ago or a cover.

She certainly knows how to treat her fans...other artists should take note:)
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    She certainly knows how to treat her fans...other artists should take note:)

Not only in releasing loads of amazing new stuff but also in how she interacts with her fans - she is a total one-off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfDjO_lZG8s
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh c'mon, its just her and Barry having fun. I don't see this as any kind of vanity project at all; its probably been shot & recorded on zero budget and is really just yet another treat for fans to enjoy. Thank-you Lana, its wonderful and you and Barry make a very cute couple! Like Koney says it will bring Nancy and Lee to a new generation, so its all good.

Definitely agree with those comments about knowing how to treat her fans. Whatever anybody thinks of Lana she's just something else when it comes to that. I don't think there's ever been anybody better in the whole history of music in that regard. As as a fan you get hooked on this stuff and just keep wanting to see what she does next.

I think she's just a absolute genius in how she used the web to do this. She really is one of the most self made people in music today and other artists could indeed learn a lot from her approach.