New BBC Boss seems to have Big Plans for Doctor Who

CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2012/09/dwn180912200012new-boss-at-bbc.html
The new man in charge of the BBC has paid tribute to Doctor Who on his first day as Editor in Chief of the Corporation, the man ultimally responsible for everything broadcast.

George Entwistle took change of the Broadcaster today as the 15th Director General, taking over from Mark Thompson who has been in charge since 2004, and who now leaves to become Chief Executive Officer of The New York Times Company.

Entwistle told staff he wanted the BBC to be one of the major international media brands with a vibrant presence in many markets built around major pieces of BBC content such as Top Gear, Doctor Who and Dancing With The Stars. In an interview with Radio Times he recalled how he fell in love with Television Drama as a child while watching Doctor Who with his family. "Jon Pertwee was my Doctor", he said, "I was a bit sceptical about the Tom Baker regeneration".

Entwistle praised the way the BBC produced its Olympic coverage, which managed to bring the nation together. He looked ahead to events that will give the BBC the chance to take the Olympics formula and make it work again, including the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who next year.

So does this mean that throughout November 2013 there will be twenty plus digital channels all showing Doctor Who? :D

Comments

• RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God help us
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be nervous it's going to be hyped up beyond the point it can live up to. I'd assume at the least we're getting David Tennant, because not having him at this point would probably be too much of a disappointment, but multi doctor stories are hard to do.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "...he wanted the BBC to be one of the major international media brands with a vibrant presence in many markets built around major pieces of BBC content..."

He sounds like a complete twonk.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50% nostalgic enthusiasm and 50% dutiful promotion IMHO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    This is him just setting out his stall & vision.

How much of it he is able to do I guess will be highly dependent on the licence fee re-negotiation coming up in the next couple of years.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Only on DS could two positive comments about the show and an admission of being a fan from the director general of the broadcaster in charge of deciding on the future of our favourite show get this sort of reaction :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    "...he wanted the BBC to be one of the major international media brands with a vibrant presence in many markets built around major pieces of BBC content..."

He sounds like a complete twonk.

If you read the speech properly, he sounds extremely smart and focused.

Unlike your post. BOOM!
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Only on DS could two positive comments about the show and an admission of being a fan from the director general of the broadcaster in charge of deciding on the future of our favourite show get this sort of reaction :D.

People have been very nice about it over on the Fans thread. :D

It's such a lovely change from some comments I've read in the past here worrying that the controller hates the show and they want to ditch it asap due to cost, etc etc.

A nice unequivocal statement of sincere support from someone who fondly remembers Pertwee and things.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    RickWhite wrote: »
    God help us

Which one? ;)
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd prefer quality over quantity when it comes to Who's anniversary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sohoguy wrote: »

Unlike your post. BOOM!

Zing!
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sohoguy wrote: »

Unlike your post. BOOM!

2 of a kind.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Remember why the show got cancelled in 1989? The DG didn't like the show.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »

There was a little more to it than that :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    It's really great the DG likes Dr Who and remembers the Pertwee and Baker years fondly. That's the line Moffat's feeding that his Who is closer than RTD's to that era.Reminds me of the Golf advert -Lke a Golf, but not a Golf.The DG is going to be a little put out once he cottons on that the Moff is feeding him a line.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    tscchope wrote: »
    That's the line Moffat's feeding that his Who is closer than RTD's to that era.

I'm sorry? I don't think I've ever heard Moffat say anything of the sort. Or even implied it.
    Forum Member
    It's really great the DG likes Dr Who and remembers the Pertwee and Baker years fondly. That's the line Moffat's feeding that his Who is closer than RTD's to that era.Reminds me of the Golf advert -Lke a Golf, but not a Golf.The DG is going to be a little put out once he cottons on that the Moff is feeding him a line.

Moffat told the DG what to say about Doctor Who?
    As a sort of heavily coded message about RTD?
    And the DG decided to tell lies about his childhood viewing habits because Moffat told him to?

I don't think I've read quite so much balderdash on DS since ...erm ....yesterday.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

This new one does, that's my point.
    Forum Member

What absolute rot. Seriously? Do you actually believe what you typed?

Because he has no eyes or ears, and cannot possibly have seen the newest series' of Doctor Who?

Sheesh. I suppose it really does take all sorts... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    What absolute rot. Seriously? Do you actually believe what you typed?

Because he has no eyes or ears, and cannot possibly have seen the newest series' of Doctor Who?

Sheesh. I suppose it really does take all sorts... :rolleyes:

oh, I see. That's what they meant.. Because the DG likes Pertwee, Moffat is sending memos to the DG explaining that the show is currently just like that. And that nasty old RTD's show was nothing like it at all. The bastard. And the DG, never having seen the show is happy to believe Mofffat. But he's in for a shock if he ever watches it!

Well, that all makes sense now. I'm surprised you find it far fetched Sebbie.

:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The DG never, ever has anything to do with the programmes made. That's up to those who runs channels and genre departments.

Doctor Who was disliked by those who had the ability to dump it. Not by Michael Grade.
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    oh, I see. That's what they meant.. Because the DG likes Pertwee, Moffat is sending memos to the DG explaining that the show is currently just like that. And that nasty old RTD's show was nothing like it at all. The bastard. And the DG, never having seen the show is happy to believe Mofffat. But he's in for a shock if he ever watches it!

Well, that all makes sense now. I'm surprised you find it far fetched Sebbie.

:rolleyes:

Haha... Well, now you've convinced me!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Grade was at C4 in 1989. Peter Cregeen, BBC Head of Series in 1989, cancelled the show, as seen on the documentary on the Survival dvd.
  • QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I'd be nervous it's going to be hyped up beyond the point it can live up to. I'd assume at the least we're getting David Tennant, because not having him at this point would probably be too much of a disappointment, but multi doctor stories are hard to do.

If we were limited to only one other Doctor coming back for the 50th Anniversary, I'd hope to God it's someone other than David Tennant. Not because I didn't like his Doctor, for I did, but because his Doctor was too recent.

I'd like to see Paul McGann come back, or failing that, Colin Baker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we were limited to only one other Doctor coming back for the 50th Anniversary, I'd hope to God it's someone other than David Tennant. Not because I didn't like his Doctor, for I did, but because his Doctor was too recent.

I'd like to see Paul McGann come back, or failing that, Colin Baker.

I think that Big Finish is the best format for the classic doctors now, though I certainly wouldn't be against seeing McGann. Hell, I'd have him turn up with Sheridan Smith or India Fisher, so we could have a proper row about what is/isn't canon. :)