Freesat Installation Loophole only £67.50 for dish & free sky box and trial for 4 mth

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
Forum Member
Found a website that details how to get freesat installed on the cheap. Most places charge £80 to install if you have no dish. Sky offer to install a dish for £67.50 through Dixons (with 10% discount). This includes standard installation a sky box and a 4month trial of premium channels for free! I am going to do the trail cancel membership then buy the best freesat PVR that is around then. See link below.

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/freesat.html#foxsat

Hope you find this helpful. I have gone fr it let me know if I am making a terrible mistake!

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you also cancel in writing well in time(recorded delivery) , pay by direct debit and also cancel the direct debit.

I wonder if Sky will withdraw the 'Pay Once' offer very very soon?

DIRECT DEBIT IS NOT PYING BY CREDIT CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You cant cancel a credit card agreement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also make sure that you keep your $ky box plugged into the phone line for 12 months
  • PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    When they realise what people are doing in sufficient numbers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    also make sure that you keep your $ky box plugged into the phone line for 12 months

Why do I need to do that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Make sure you also cancel in writing well in time(recorded delivery) , pay by direct debit and also cancel the direct debit.

I wonder if Sky will withdraw the 'Pay Once' offer very very soon?

Thanks for the advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ms98tjc wrote: »

It's part of your contract.

When I got Sky installed years ago, I waited till the guy left my house then unplugged the phone straight away. Sky never complained. The box is supposed to ring home every so often.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ms98tjc wrote: »
    because the box and dish installation are subsidised by sky and if you break the terms of your contract by unpluging the box in the 12 moths you are liable to pay sky a sum for the box and installation(the terms are the same as a free sky box with a 12 month contract)allthough i dont know if sky have made anybody pay extra for breaking the contract
  • qpw3141qpw3141 Posts: 4,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    because the box and dish installation are subsidised by sky and if you break the terms of your contract by unpluging the box in the 12 moths you are liable to pay sky a sum for the box and installation(the terms are the same as a free sky box with a 12 month contract)allthough i dont know if sky have made anybody pay extra for breaking the contract

Just out of interest, does the contract say that you have to have the sky box connected to the mains?

If not there's nothing they can do, even in theory since you can say that the box is connected to the phone line but never makes contact because it's not powered up.
  • alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL and don't forget all the calls from India trying to sell you box cover and Skys endless pile of junk mail the say they don't send when you call them to ask them to stop it
    I quit Sky 4 years ago and im still getting it :(
    Alan :mad:
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been pointed out before.

It becomes EVEN cheaper, if you go and sell the shiny new Sky digibox on ebay then it becomes a really really cheap dish install.

Do bear in mind you will only get a standard LNB and one cable (unless your installer is open to paid extras) so if you are wanting a freesat PVR, you need to factor in replacing the LNB with a quad and the extra cabling.
  • qpw3141qpw3141 Posts: 4,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan.w wrote: »
    LOL and don't forget all the calls from India trying to sell you box cover and Skys endless pile of junk mail the say they don't send when you call them to ask them to stop it

If you've quit, wouldn't the mailing preference service enable you to stem the flow?

I signed up to that and the telephone equivelant and I've had peace and quiet and no junk mail from around a month after sign up.

The only loophole is that companies can send material to people 'they do business with' even if you are registered for TPS.

I don't think they should count customers from years back but Sky do rather have a 'barrow boy' mentality when selling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan.w wrote: »

I left about 8 years ago so you'll get another 4 years at least.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    Do bear in mind you will only get a standard LNB and one cable (unless your installer is open to paid extras)

I had FreeSatFromSky installed yesterday, and the installer was happy to install a quad LNB and dual cable without any extra payment :)
  • PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    I had FreeSatFromSky installed yesterday, and the installer was happy to install a quad LNB and dual cable without any extra payment :)

Are you planning to keep it after 3 months or buy a freesat box?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PeterB wrote: »

I'm planning on cancelling the Sky subscription once the 4 months is up (30 days notice after 3 months, that is). I'll then just use it as a 'free sat' receiver until a reasonably priced Freesat PVR comes out. If Sky decide to offer Sky+ for a reasonable one-off purchase price at some point, I'd certainly consider that.
  • ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    @Dan 8t1 - what reason did you give for wanting the quad LNB and dual cable installed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @Dan 8t1 - what reason did you give for wanting the quad LNB and dual cable installed?

I just said "Is there any chance you could fit a quad LNB and dual cable.." and I was about to say "..in case I get a PVR at some point", but before I could say that the installer said "In case you get Sky+? Sure". And I didn't argue with that :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    I just said "Is there any chance you could fit a quad LNB and dual cable.." and I was about to say "..in case I get a PVR at some point", but before I could say that the installer said "In case you get Sky+? Sure". And I didn't argue with that :)

Hi Dan

I'm in the same boat:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=800653

I would like a quad and 4 down leads (2 to 1 room and 2 to another room). I will offer him some cash for that it's only fair really.

I'll see how amenable he is!

BTW what’s the standard box like now? Is it still a pace/thompson/panasonic?

Cheers

F40

BTW thanks for the tip off on the 67 quid deal - its brill!!!. Also I forgot to add I got my deal in store also they price matched their website price! Shame the 4 mixes are a bit dull lol
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do standard boxes have HDMI out yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    do standard boxes have HDMI out yet?
    nope:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F40 wrote: »
    Hi Dan

I'm in the same boat:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=800653

I would like a quad and 4 down leads (2 to 1 room and 2 to another room). I will offer him some cash for that it's only fair really.

I'll see how amenable he is!

BTW what’s the standard box like now? Is it still a pace/thompson/panasonic?

Cheers

F40

BTW thanks for the tip off on the 67 quid deal - its brill!!!. Also I forgot to add I got my deal in store also they price matched their website price! Shame the 4 mixes are a bit dull lol

Good luck with that F40, let us know how you get on!

My box is the Amstrad DRX550, which is identical to a Pace DS440NB.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    PeterB wrote: »
    Be careful!!
    My 84 year old Mother in law had freesat from Sky months ago.
    We rang and told them she did not want any Sky packages, but she keeps getting threatening letters to say she has a contract.
  • digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be careful!!
    My 84 year old Mother in law had freesat from Sky months ago.
    We rang and told them she did not want any Sky packages, but she keeps getting threatening letters to say she has a contract.

Yes indeed
    Mothers day I bought my mum a pay once watch forever sky pack for £75...
    Installed well and working, she went to spain for a few weeks and came back to find that Sky have taken 3 payments of £19 from her debit card, and billed her for box office movies she couldnt possibly have watched!
    They are insisting that they have a signed 12 months contract on record as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote: »
    Yes indeed
    Mothers day I bought my mum a pay once watch forever sky pack for £75...
    Installed well and working, she went to spain for a few weeks and came back to find that Sky have taken 3 payments of £19 from her debit card, and billed her for box office movies she couldnt possibly have watched!
    They are insisting that they have a signed 12 months contract on record as well.

As advised here. I have set up a direct debit that I can cancel at any time (going to send em a registerd post cancellation too). They can whistle if they try anything iffy.